Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times

Advertisements

I had a very long term series of traumas occur (over eight years, almost non-stop).

I am old.

A couple of years ago, I started "resting."

I am feeling much better physically, emotionally, and mentally - but I have spurts of energy.

I do not want to live a sedentary lifestyle - as I know that is unhealthy (and non-productive) - I have a lot of stuff I want and need to do.

The reason for this post is that I have been feeling very tired and lazy. I can't motivate myself to do much of anything. I will make myself take a walk - I have to or I am going to end up in bad shape.

In some metaphysical circles (Law of Attraction, Abraham Hicks), they say not to force action - to wait until you are inspired.

On some level, I think I need to rest to further recover - on another level, I fear I have become lazy!

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 01:46 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I had a very long term series of traumas occur (over eight years, almost non-stop).

I am old.

A couple of years ago, I started "resting."

I am feeling much better physically, emotionally, and mentally - but I have spurts of energy.

I do not want to live a sedentary lifestyle - as I know that is unhealthy (and non-productive) - I have a lot of stuff I want and need to do.

The reason for this post is that I have been feeling very tired and lazy. I can't motivate myself to do much of anything. I will make myself take a walk - I have to or I am going to end up in bad shape.

In some metaphysical circles (Law of Attraction, Abraham Hicks), they say not to force action - to wait until you are inspired.

On some level, I think I need to rest to further recover - on another level, I fear I have become lazy!

Any thoughts?
First of all, quit telling your body you are old. I have no idea how old you are but at 81 I still won't say that about myself. I've aged and older but who hasn't. A friend is 93 and she refuses to talk about aging.

And about resting and sleeping, it's a major couple healers and DO THEM. Your body is telling you something. I love my 10 hrs of great sleep and if I didn't have that, lord knows how I'd be. And I rest during the day and often even doze off. No guilt here and I live simply so not a heckava lot to do constant be doing. I did that for 40 yrs before I retired.

About you, a little OCD maybe?

Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM

I believe in the "wisdom of the body."

To me, saying a "I'm old," is just factual, without negative connotation (to me), but I understand what you are saying.

I am just questioning whether or not to force myself to do stuff or to respect my body and its messages.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:02 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I believe in the "wisdom of the body."

To me, saying a "I'm old," is just factual, without negative connotation (to me), but I understand what you are saying.

I am just questioning whether or not to force myself to do stuff or to respect my body and its messages.
Force yourself? Are you on a tight schedule to get things done? In retirement I have 24/7 to do my uncomplicated life.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Force yourself? Are you on a tight schedule to get things done? In retirement I have 24/7 to do my uncomplicated life.
You know what, I missed your rude comment above, re: OCD - what is OCD about what I wrote? Nothing.

And yes, I do have an agenda. I have lots of things I want and need to do.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I think you do need to force yourself to do certain things, every day.

You don't say how old you are, but it's great practice to get down on the floor, lay down, roll over, and get yourself back up off the floor every single day, several times a day. So you don't lose that ability. So you can easily get down on the floor and get yourself back up when you're 85. Which not all 85 year olds can do.

And I think you should walk several times a week. Even if it's only for a mile on a fairly flat surface, unless you are currently injured or ill.

Giving in is giving up, and that will cause your decline.

(I say that, but I had an aunt to lived to 88 and never stood if she could sit, and certainly never purposely walked anywhere she didn't have to, and if something fell on the floor, it was just lost to her unless someone picked it up for her. She was rail thin and on Sundays would drive to a restaurant on the other side of town after church so her friends wouldn't see how unbelievably much bacon she would eat at one sitting, and when she wanted to sit down on a couch she'd just back into it, and fall backwards. No leg muscles at all. But, you know, she lived to 88 enjoying life. There's always someone who doesn't follow the pattern).

Old 11-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think you do need to force yourself to do certain things, every day.

You don't say how old you are, but it's great practice to get down on the floor, lay down, roll over, and get yourself back up off the floor every single day, several times a day. So you don't lose that ability. So you can easily get down on the floor and get yourself back up when you're 85. Which not all 85 year olds can do.

And I think you should walk several times a week. Even if it's only for a mile on a fairly flat surface, unless you are currently injured or ill.

Giving in is giving up, and that will cause your decline.

(I say that, but I had an aunt to lived to 88 and never stood if she could sit, and certainly never purposely walked anywhere she didn't have to, and if something fell on the floor, it was just lost to her unless someone picked it up for her. She was rail thin and on Sundays would drive to a restaurant on the other side of town after church so her friends wouldn't see how unbelievably much bacon she would eat at one sitting, and when she wanted to sit down on a couch she'd just back into it, and fall backwards. No leg muscles at all. But, you know, she lived to 88 enjoying life. There's always someone who doesn't follow the pattern).
Yes. I think I need a coach!

My mother lived to be almost 97 and never did anything, but I really NEED and want to be more fit.

Funny about getting on the floor - there is something wrong with my freezer and it's making oodles of ice. I had to get down on the floor (it's a bottom freezer) and pull the drawer out and try to get behind the drawer to get stray ice cubes.

As I was getting up I told myself I needed to not use anything as a prop - to just get up by myself, and I did.

Good advice.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:38 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,357,961 times
I'm familiar with Abraham and other metaphysical entities, and they all say to not push or force, and that pushing or forcing creates problems and things you don't want. It's okay to not like doing certain things, but it's not okay to discount yourself for not liking them or not doing them. Don't "should" on yourself

If you think you want to work out yet you are not, then you are hesitating. Identify what those hesitations are. Some of them may be quite valid and others might be less so.

Another suggestion is to focus on the benefits of what you want to do or achieve. Aren't you worth giving yourself those benefits, a better life? Then maybe, if you can, alter the aspects you don't like — don't dismiss or ignore them, but maybe change them in some way so as to make them less distasteful or important. Those you can't change, try to reframe them so as to create some type of game for yourself. Give yourself points or stars or flowers for achievements. But keep it light and playful, not serious or competitive or punitive. Be flexible, not rigid.

I will reframe "old" and "lazy":
You are not old, you are wise. You have gained the wisdom of listening to your body's requests for rest.
You are not lazy, you are efficient. Rest is the most efficient way for the body to recuperate and heal. Once you are healed, you will be able to achieve all that you want to achieve

Old 11-02-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I'm familiar with Abraham and other metaphysical entities, and they all say to not push or force, and that pushing or forcing creates problems and things you don't want. It's okay to not like doing certain things, but it's not okay to discount yourself for not liking them or not doing them. Don't "should" on yourself

If you think you want to work out yet you are not, then you are hesitating. Identify what those hesitations are. Some of them may be quite valid and others might be less so.

Another suggestion is to focus on the benefits of what you want to do or achieve. Aren't you worth giving yourself those benefits, a better life? Then maybe, if you can, alter the aspects you don't like — don't dismiss or ignore them, but maybe change them in some way so as to make them less distasteful or important. Those you can't change, try to reframe them so as to create some type of game for yourself. Give yourself points or stars or flowers for achievements. But keep it light and playful, not serious or competitive or punitive. Be flexible, not rigid.

I will reframe "old" and "lazy":
You are not old, you are wise. You have gained the wisdom of listening to your body's requests for rest.
You are not lazy, you are efficient. Rest is the most efficient way for the body to recuperate and heal. Once you are healed, you will be able to achieve all that you want to achieve
I like it! Thanks for the pep talk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine