Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 08:27 PM

23 posts, read 36,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
I was looking at the navage but at 80$ it's a bit pricey for something that may not work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend getting the large squeeze nasal rinse bottle shown in the video above. Walmart now carry's them. Mix your own solution rather than buying the ready made packets to save money. My ENT gave me this recipe:

Distilled water - 1 quart
Teaspoon of baking soda
3 heaping teaspoons of non-iodine salt (you may need to work up to this quantity if you are new to this)

That's it. Very cheap. Squeeze about 6 to 8 ounces between you two nostril (you can use more or less). Many like it warmed up in microwave. I've used this for so many years that I use it at room temp. This part that is hard to do, but it does help, especially if you have an infection. Snort the stuff! I wouldn't do it for years because I thought it would burn. My instructions was to inhale the solution (1 oz each nostril) until it goes into your throat and out your mouth. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, for my first batch I made it weak with salt.

Never ever use tap water that has not been boiled...tap filters don't work either. Just last month there was a news article of a guy who rinsed his nose with warm tap water regularly and he got a flesh eating parasite in his brain and he died (as i recall).

Let us know how it is going for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 10:20 AM

233 posts, read 155,218 times
Default Congestion

Quote:
I've been suffering from terrible nasal congestion for about a week now, post nasal drip causing nausea, nose excessively running and almost completely stuffed up. I have tried a bunch of different OTC medicines to no avail, I am completely miserable and can't seem to kick this congestion, a friend recommended trying a sinus rinse to see if that might rinse everything out. Has anyone tried this and did it work?? Any recommendations on what type to get?? I was looking at the navage but at 80$ it's a bit pricey for something that may not work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All I can do is share what worked for me. I suffered thru all kinds of things including congestion, and I never grew up like that, but was a milk/dairy junkie and one day in my 30's I got hit by all of them at once, I'm sure your experience is different.....AND a co-worker had told me it was likely milk, but since I loved it so much, I dismissed it and went into denial....it's not just a river in egypt. Many of us got it....but that's another subject for another time....

ANYWAYS after years of paying for over the counter remedies, and reading about the effects milk had on young girls and their periods and breasts, I decided to quit milk, at least for a time, I gave it 2 yrs, but noticed a fade in the intensity at 30 days then it was gone in 90days....that may or may not work for you.
But since quitting I've been able to breathe like I used to, and is no longer a daily struggle.

MY FATHER had told me, long ago, which I had also dismissed, allergies are most likely due to the foods you love the most, and he was right.......I miss talking to him.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
The Neil Med sinus rinse comes with its own packets to put it the plastic squeeze bottle. It’s easy and way better than a Neto pot!
I put distilled water in it and microwave it for 20seconds to warm it, then I add packet of powder, shake and then use it.

All dairy products, not just milk, have a protein that thickens mucus. If I eat butter, cheese or any dairy product I am congested by three or four hours later. Sad.....

Old 03-08-2019, 08:21 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I too use sinus rinse - NOT neti pot which does nothing, IMO. I mix my own with equal parts of sea salt, baking soda, and Xylitol granules. Use only distilled or spring/purified water, never tap.

Anyway I only do it once in awhile because I personally believe one should not force anything up into your sinuses, there can be issues doing this, including ear infections.

Frankly, I never felt it did a whole lot, only helps a little. I think you can get good results just by holding your head over a big pot of steaming water.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:23 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,483 times
I really like Arm & Hammer Simply Saline Nasal Mist, drug free. I just tried the extra strength and thought it worked really well.

Gargling with warm salt water, is really helpful to help clear.

Vaporizer - this can be kept by the bed at night and/or in the bathroom, put a towel around face and vaporizer (don't get too close) and breathe in the steam. This works really well.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:56 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
We had a friend from Panama whose uncle would go down to the shore and snort a warm rock-pool of salty sea water - claimed it would do the trick.

...your friend was correct..live in hawai'i.... do the salt water snort/rinse every time i go to the beach, every couple days, stings a bit but does the trick!.....

Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
I've been suffering from terrible nasal congestion for about a week now, post nasal drip causing nausea, nose excessively running and almost completely stuffed up. I have tried a bunch of different OTC medicines to no avail, I am completely miserable and can't seem to kick this congestion, a friend recommended trying a sinus rinse to see if that might rinse everything out. Has anyone tried this and did it work?? Any recommendations on what type to get?? I was looking at the navage but at 80$ it's a bit pricey for something that may not work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
When ever we turn on the heat is when the same thing happens to me, it acts like a sinus infection, so, I bought a filter free, cold mist humidifier, and set it on a table right aside of my bed, plus I use Ocean Nasal spray. Really really helps.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
Smile clay + herbs

The best natural remedy I've tried is clay poultices - cataplasms over whole face (hydrated clay), nasal rinsing with liquid activated clay, and inhaling plant steam. It's very cheap and that's the only thing that helped me. I am so grateful for clay poultices and herbs. Ren, anise, and basil are used in the preparation of clay poultices. Recipes how to properly prepare clay, I found in the android app "Clay - cosmetic & healing" a month ago. After two weeks of using clay and herbs, I have an almost completely clear nose. The situation is 80% better.

Precautions: The clay should not be mixed with metal spoons, or keep in metal bowls or jars with a metal lid.

In addition, I use clay (especially bentonite and kaolin) in many ways with positive results. I used bentonite clay for clay baths (for the first bath I was amazed at how dark the water was after bathing, for the second bath it is not), massage for tired legs and feet, cleansing and softening of the skin of the feet, activated clay for pimples and oily face (for peeling dead cells on face skin), for scalp infection, for hair mask, and for varicose veins in my grandfather (he has less painful legs when using clay masks - wraps). For internal use, I sometimes use bentonite clay for diarrhea - usually several days, and for heartburn where clay helps me almost instantly.

Buy only branded clay with mineral content highlighted.

Best Regards

Old 05-17-2021, 10:12 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
I just bought a battery operated Neil sinus rinse. I had been taking a daily allergy pill, but felt it was drying my eyes out too much, so I wanted to try a non drug solution. I started yesterday, for the first rinse. How long do you think it will be , to notice an improvement?

Old 05-17-2021, 11:35 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
^^^Mine took about 5-10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine