Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times

Advertisements

I am considering a 10-day (actually 10 nights) vacation to Rio De Janeiro and then to Colombia (either Bogota, Cartegna, or Cali).

I've never been to So. America so I want to try to see TWO countries while I am down there. I know I can't see ALL these two countries have to offer in 10 nights (even if I spent the entire time in one place). But I'd like to at least get down there and get my feet wet so to speak.

My question is do you think this is trying to do too much at once?

Potential Travel Log:

Rio De Janeiro: Days 1 to 5

Colombia: Days 6 to 10. Fly Back to USA on Day 11.

Thanks for any input or sharing of your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
It always amazes me how much ground I can cover in one day in a foreign city, let alone in the U.S.

I've taken many feet-wetting trips and I've put far more into my itinerary than you're planning.

I only spent 3 days in Rio and I could have covered it in 2 days. (But then, I'm not a beach-type person either)

Why not take an express bus to Sao Paulo for a couple days or a coastal city south of there as well?

Do 2-3 days in Bogota and bus out to a nearby mid-sized city as well for a day.

I love intense, crammed itinerary trips. My advice: expand your itinerary.
I always think: Who knows! This could be the last trip I'll ever take!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 PM

Thanks Tijlover: I agree....I was just being conservative. I figure once you are there you might as well see as much as you can. Good to hear it.

Have you been to Colombia? Any thoughts on Cali? I hear Bogota and Cartegna are great.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 AM

I've been to Argentina (3x), Chile (2x), Eucador (2x), Peru (3x), Bolivia (2x), Uruguay (1x), but haven't gotten to Colombia yet, but it's on my list.

All depends on what you're looking for. For me, it's mountains and mountain streams/rivers. Not a coastal type, per se. Can't deal with both heat and humidity so Cartegena is not even on my radar list. Would prefer to chill out at 8600 feet in Bogota, 9500 feet in Quito, 12,500 feet in La Paz, Bolivia or other mountain towns.

I also prefer SA countries with a strong Indian flavor, Bolivia having the strongest flavor, Ecuador second, Peru third.

I also prefer the drier side of SA, Chile and Peru, as eastern SA is like the eastern side of the U.S., more humidity. Much of Chile and Peru have the same identical climate of Southern California/Mediterranean climate.

But Brazil and Colombia make for a nice contrast. Cram, cram all you can into your trip. Yeah, you'll be exhausted upon your return, as I usually am, but as I always say: This could be my last trip.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've been to Argentina (3x), Chile (2x), Eucador (2x), Peru (3x), Bolivia (2x), Uruguay (1x), but haven't gotten to Colombia yet, but it's on my list.....
Whew, I could never enjoy that schedule!

Different strokes for different folks, for sure. It sounds like traveling just to cut notches on your gun.

I remember traveling like that one time - just once - when I got back it was a kaleidoscope of images but no sense of each place. My feeling about the trip was one of let down, clearly yours isn't

One of the towns I stayed in for two days, I didn't like at all. Went back for more than two days worth later....totally different place than I thought I saw it the first time. I've lived here seven years now, and love it.

My own two cents is that travelling should be more than slam-bam-thank-you-mam.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 AM

I've taken these "feet-wetting" trips, and when I returned, I knew more where I'd be spending more time on a future trip.

My first trip to SA I was on a 30-day unlimited air pass. Swoop in here, swoop in there, a little taste here, little taste there.

There was a gap between that trip and future trips to SA, but all the while, I knew which countries/cities I longed to spend more time in, and I eventually did.

I also did a Round-The-World "feet-wetting" trip back in 1990, in 33 fast-paced days. When I returned, I knew where I wanted to spend more time, and if I had the money to do so: India, SE Asia and China. And, later, I did
spend more quality unhurried time there.

I will have to disagree with you, in some ways, with not picking up a vibe to a city on just a 2-day visit. But, sometimes, it merely has to do with weather.

If you travel somewhere, and it's rainy, cloudy, miserable the time you're there, your impression of that city may be long-lasting, unshakeable. I've been to Amsterdam twice, both times the weather was rainy, cloudy, misty,
and I'll go to my grave before I give Amsterdam another chance!

Same with Rio. Rained the whole time I was there. Couldn't even get up to see the Statue of Christ overlooking the city, road closed due to mudslides.
Ask me if I'll ever go back to Rio?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
....If you travel somewhere, and it's rainy, cloudy, miserable the time you're there, your impression of that city may be long-lasting, unshakeable. I've been to Amsterdam twice, both times the weather was rainy, cloudy, misty,
and I'll go to my grave before I give Amsterdam another chance!...
I had to laugh. I have a friend who has had exactly the same experience. He swears I am lying just to make fun of him when I say I have never had it rain when I was in Amsterdam.

My first impression of Amsterdam was formed by reading Camus's The Fall....it never stops raining in the book. This seems to be the Amsterdam my friend keeps discovering.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
there is no standard response to this question, different people like different things, for some your itinerary would be way too hectic, to others not hectic enough... plan it the way you like it certainly is doable but it's a tight schedule. Myself, I would probably fly open jaw - start with Brazil and a bordering country...probably a road trip from Rio/Sao Paulo/Uruguay and Argentina and then fly back

Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Don't forget that the flight time from LAX to Rio is usually 13+ hours - you will lose almost one day travel in each direction. Brazil has endless places to go and things to see. It is a paradise for people who like to explore small and medium sized cities and towns with no reservations or itinerary, travelling by bus from place to place. Rio is a bit overwhelming for some people (like me). If you want a more peaceful coastal place to visit, go to the main bus station in Rio and get a ticket to Buzios, about 100 km northeast. It's expensive during the peak vacation season, but off season there's no problem finding a comfortable place to stay at a reasonable price.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Don't forget that the flight time from LAX to Rio is usually 13+ hours - you will lose almost one day travel in each direction. Brazil has endless places to go and things to see. It is a paradise for people who like to explore small and medium sized cities and towns with no reservations or itinerary, travelling by bus from place to place. Rio is a bit overwhelming for some people (like me). If you want a more peaceful coastal place to visit, go to the main bus station in Rio and get a ticket to Buzios, about 100 km northeast. It's expensive during the peak vacation season, but off season there's no problem finding a comfortable place to stay at a reasonable price.
Cool..thanks for the tip. Not sure I'll have time for that but good to know in case I decide to just stay in Brazil the whole trip in which case I would check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas