Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I'm actually an advocate of British Columbia, Oregon, Washington (and POSSIBLY Alaska and Idaho, as long as they don't act too crazy ) forming a new country called Cascadia. And then after that, the entire continent of North America breaking off into somewhere between nine and thirteen different bioregionally-defined sovereign entities, though with open borders.
GOD, you can't be serious about this nonsense.

1) British Columbians DON'T WANT unification with Washington and Oregon--it's unfathomable to me that Washington and Oregon are as loved by British Columbians as British Colubmbia is loved by Washingtonians and Oregonians.

2) Canadians hate Americans

and 3) Even if "Cascadia" ever came close to materializing in the near future, there's no way that the American and Canadian governments would allow their respective states and province to just up and leave without confrontation of some sort. It would be a civil disaster.

Last edited by Montguy; 08-12-2012 at 03:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 AM

175 posts, read 273,766 times
Why do people make stupid threads like this? ANd it's been discussed in other threads.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
Why do people make stupid threads like this? ANd it's been discussed in other threads.
I ask myself the same question. The US is never going to break up, but it does have the possibility of merging with the rest of North America, though.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I'm actually an advocate of British Columbia, Oregon, Washington (and POSSIBLY Alaska and Idaho, as long as they don't act too crazy ) forming a new country called Cascadia. And then after that, the entire continent of North America breaking off into somewhere between nine and thirteen different bioregionally-defined sovereign entities, though with open borders.
umm Cascadia is not going to happen plus show me the benifits of the PNW Region of the U.S. and Canada would be any better or diffrent then it is now and if you have a passport you can travel and vist/Vacation to any part of Canada or the U.S. you want sure their are borders but as long as you have no criminal record you are fine to go anywhere you want and buy things you want buy diffrent brands or flavors that stores do not sell in Caanda or the U.S. and stay at any hotel you want.

Plus why would nevada and Arizona name their new "Country" and call it Basin the names are horrible and the map on the other page is not something I would let happend to North America turn into in my life time.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
umm Cascadia is not going to happen plus show me the benifits of the PNW Region of the U.S. and Canada would be any better or diffrent then it is now and if you have a passport you can travel and vist/Vacation to any part of Canada or the U.S. you want sure their are borders but as long as you have no criminal record you are fine to go anywhere you want and buy things you want buy diffrent brands or flavors that stores do not sell in Caanda or the U.S. and stay at any hotel you want.
The only benefit for a Cascadia region might be road access to Alaska without crossing international boundaries. There really is no benefit to that, since driving to any population center in Alaska is comparable or more expensive in cost than taking the Alaska Marine Highway and taking you straight through the population centers, not driving to middle of nowhere settlements for hundreds of miles until you get to Fairbanks

Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
2) Canadians hate Americans
Everybody in Winnipeg loved me!!

Why do people always try to convince that we hate eachother? Lol

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 08-12-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Everybody in Winnipeg loved me!!

Why do people always try to convince that we hate eachother? Lol
The internet tends to do that. There's a lot of anti-Americanism and national insecurity on the internet. But in real life, Canadians are just the same as us and we're the same as Europeans. I've never had a chilly reception in Germany, the UK, or Canada

Old 08-22-2012, 10:57 AM

508 posts, read 889,217 times
The bitter cold truth is it will not happen. We may see a fixed rated between the Greenback and Loonie. In part because we are already at essentially parity. But more so to facilitate easier and more predictable commerce between the countries. We may also see harmonization of customs and immigration standards. But the main obstacles to a united "Anglo" North America are the Queen and Quebec.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
The only thing I would ever support that is remotely similar to this is for most northern US states (minus New York City) to apply to become provinces of Canada, provided that the states have a probationary period where they are assigned "mentor provinces" that will allow for the cleanup of the states and align them with more Canadian culture and values.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I recently came across a NPO website called unitednorthamerica.org, which, from what I found, is run by a man out of Winnipeg who advocates the geographical/political mergence of the U.S. and Canada (Mexico, oddly, isn't included in a "united North America," apparently for "cultural" reasons).

As if it weren't bewildering enough that ANY Canadian would ever suggest such a thing, the author of this website actually believes that Canadian provinces should apply for U.S. statehood--in other words, have themselves "annexed" into U.S. territory, thus submitting themselves to U.S. political authority.

Annexation of Canada by the U.S. has long been the boogeyman of many a Canadian paranoiac, so naturally I was dumbfounded when I learned that "United North America" is a Canadian-based NPO.

But anyway, here's my question: would the addition of Canadian provinces to the U.S. actually be a good thing for our country?

My short answer: Absolutely not.

Any thoughts, people?
It better not happen. I like Canada as its OWN NATION and it should stay that way. Canada is doing fine the way it is. This is what this American has to say about this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas