Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 13,365 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Costa Rica. Has anyone been there and if so what do u think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 05:34 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
It has a reputation as a haven for white collar criminals. I knew a guy who lived there for a while, and he...um, had a reason for running off to Costa Rica.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
My ex-husband owns land there. Having said that, you could not get me to go visit for all of the tea in China.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:48 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
I had to be there for, thankfully, a short time. The sky is about two feet above your head, hidden sweat glands that are dormant in normal human beings are activated 24/7 there, it's like trying to breathe underwater, and I didn't like it. Needless to say, I don't care if they offer free land, furnished houses, and luxury accomodations...I would never voluntarily live there.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,283 times
Talking tea time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
My ex-husband owns land there. Having said that, you could not get me to go visit for all of the tea in China.
even the 700.00 bucks da pound kine?

Old 09-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Talking high up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I had to be there for, thankfully, a short time. The sky is about two feet above your head, hidden sweat glands that are dormant in normal human beings are activated 24/7 there, it's like trying to breathe underwater, and I didn't like it. Needless to say, I don't care if they offer free land, furnished houses, and luxury accomodations...I would never voluntarily live there.

My understanding was that up up in the mountains was not to bad.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:18 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,229 times
Don't personally know much about it except for two things...1. Basically the whole place shuts down at about 9:00 PM (literally). I know this because 2. I hate it there...my dad died in Costa Rica. When my mom died, I was the one who found her and it was a shock (she had kidney failure but was on the waiting list, plus doing dialysis...and all her results were coming along rather well..so it was a shock). That made me cling even harder to my father, who prior to my mom dying, had two major heart attacks and was diagnosed with coronary heart disease. Anyway, 8 months after my mom died, my dad told me he was going to costa rica with my stepmom. I begged him not to go, I had a bad feeling...everyone but me was desperate for him not to go. I told him if something went wrong he even had to promise to jump out of the plane (I hate planes)....anyway, I'm making this story rather long and boring for you guys. So, off he went (he was helping my stepmom with her business and had to go). We spoke on and off when he got there and for the next two days. Then, on that Friday, he didn't call me all day and I thought it was weird. Around six, the phone rang.... I just knew by the sound of the phone ringing it was going to be bad news. It was my stepmom and all I could hear her say was "I'm so sorry". Well, my father had died suddenly from another massive heart attack in which his pacemaker/defrib. didn't seem to get to quick enough. I guess the "nice" part about it was that he actually died while they were laying on the beach (can't ask for more peaceful than that) and it was too quick for him to even know it happened. However, it took a week for us to get my father's body back, it also took over $6,000.00 and enough phone calls to the American Embassy in Costa Rica to last my family a lifetime. I pray I never see Costa Rica.

But that's just my opinion and it's based on a personal tragedy...according to my dad when he called us, it was the most beautiful place he had ever seen in his life. In fact, believe it or not, his exact words were "if I could have all of you kids, my grandkids and Uncle Joe (his best friend) here, I could die right here a happy man" (I guess it's true, watch what you wish for).

So apparently it's a gorgeous place...but it leaves a bad taste for me....I wish you luck in your move though....sorry I had to go through all that to make my point.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:16 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
I almost spent a summer there in college teaching English in Limon but it fell through due to financing issues. I wish I could've gone though. It's still a place I would love to visit and perhaps even live. It's a cheap peaceful country with friendly people. I've never lived in a tropical environment however for longer than a few months so I don't know if I'd be able to handle the climate all that well.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:08 AM

Talking moving on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnheather View Post
Thinking of moving to Costa Rica. Has anyone been there and if so what do u think
They still have no "standing" army??

Old 09-28-2006, 07:58 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,624,724 times
I know of people that have a business set up in Costa Rica. They are doing very well. They have also mentioned that they needed to hire body guards while there. I don't know if thats true if your just a regular joe. I've also read that kidnappings for ransome is not uncommmon. I would do my homework first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas