Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Actually, I've never heard a Canadian ever WANTING to call themself an American. Not even a Mexican, either. I think both countries have a pride in calling themselves by their native monikers. While it's perfectly acceptable for all of these groups to call themselves "North Americans", I think they'd rather be called Canadians and Mexicans.
Yes, you are right. The only people that make a fuss out of this are a few Europeans and self-hating Americans, and almost all of them consider themselves to be "world citizens" instead of a citizen of their country, too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 PM

57 posts, read 73,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
I have heard this from Canadians and some South Americans and they get mad when people from the US refer to themselves as "Americans". I am questioning why do they get mad and say "oh but we are all Americans"??? While accurate, the reason being is because America is in the name of our country, therefore the name of the people are called Americans, just as Mexico is Mexicans and Canada has Canadians. Is it an ego thing? or do people not grasp simple understandings? If not Amercians what would they suggest we call ourselves, Statsiens? Just a thought, any input that could help me understand the inferiority complex would be much appreciated, thanks
They don't actuall get mad, they're just being difficult. They like to see an American tourist apologize for this imagined offense. Tell them to perform an anatomically impossible act.

What, are people who love in the US supposed to call themselves United Statesians? Get real.

Look, if the US were named "Colombia" and Colombia were called "The United States of America", and they decided to call themselves "Americans", I wouldn't be offended.

Besides, saying you are "American" to indicate what continent you are from is inane anyway because it doesn't do the job; you need to specify WHICH, North or South. "American" by itself, unpreceded by "North" or "South" refers to a citizen of the United States of America, period. Offended? Suck my ass.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I'm still surprised when I hear people say that Christopher Columbus discovered America and they actually think Columbus discovered the USA.

Do they even know that the man didn't even stepped foot on the continental USA?

Do they even know that the Spaniards had established their colonies almost 2 centuries before the 13 colonies were settled?

Do they even know that Florida was a Spanish colony for most of history and that Columbus didn't even put a foot there?

It has not been few the times I have said this to people and they look at me as if I'm some crazy guy talking nonsense.

I also find it interesting that when Europeans and Asians (unforced African migration to the Western Hemisphere is a very recent phenomenon, as such I exclude them from this) used to say that they were going to migrate to America, many people think that those immigrants meant the USA. In fact, this is one of the reasons why in the USA is almost unknown that most countries in this hemisphere not only received large waves of immigrants from Europe and elsewhere, but also quite a few can literally be considered countries of immigrants (Argentina is a perfect example.) Its not just the USA. At times I even get the impression that people assume Canadians are not made up mostly of immigrants too!

Anyway, these are examples of the problems created by the usage of the word American to exclusively describe the inhabitants or natives of the United States. History and perspective gets twisted into one big lie or misunderstanding by one simple word.

So yes, I do understand why any people from South America and Canada are uncomfortable with the issue surrounding the term American.

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-29-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Neuling, you do realize that you're about 0.01% of the population in this hemisphere that actually has a problem with Americans calling themselves American? 99.99% of the population of North and South America don't give a toss, they have more things to worry about than "United Statesians" calling themselves Americans. By the way, every country in Latin America, except a few like Argentina, call people from the US americanos. The real term in Spanish is estadounidense, but hardly anyone says that on the street. There is also no unifying feeling across the Americas as well. Us Hispanics don't call ourselves americanos in Spanish. We call ourselves argentinos, puertorriqueños, dominicanos, cubanos, mexicanos, etc. We also don't look at ourselves as the "latino community", that's just a US thing
I don't know what you are talking about. I don't have any problem with US Americans referring to themselves as Americans. Everyone knows it is sloppy, everyone knows all people from Canada to Chile are Americans, so why would I care? I have friends in South America, none of them cares what US Americans call themselves. Actually, BECAUSE US citizens are known as Americans, the word American has a bad taste in Latin America. Not because of the name of course, but because of the foreign politics etc. the word is associated with.
Here in Portugal US Americans are usually called "North Americans", which is also very sloppy of course.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Neuling, you do realize that you're about 0.01% of the population in this hemisphere that actually has a problem with Americans calling themselves American? 99.99% of the population of North and South America don't give a toss, they have more things to worry about than "United Statesians" calling themselves Americans. By the way, every country in Latin America, except a few like Argentina, call people from the US americanos. The real term in Spanish is estadounidense, but hardly anyone says that on the street. There is also no unifying feeling across the Americas as well. Us Hispanics don't call ourselves americanos in Spanish. We call ourselves argentinos, puertorriqueños, dominicanos, cubanos, mexicanos, etc. We also don't look at ourselves as the "latino community", that's just a US thing

thats true, the latino community is mostly a US thing.
here we call ourselves our nationality and the others their nationality and thats it.
and we call americans "yankis"

Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM

839 posts, read 3,073,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I'm still surprised when I hear people say that Christopher Columbus discovered America and they actually think Columbus discovered the USA.
Are there people who really think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I also find it interesting that when Europeans and Asians (unforced African migration to the Western Hemisphere is a very recent phenomenon, as such I exclude them from this) used to say that they were going to migrate to America, many people think that those immigrants meant the USA. In fact, this is one of the reasons why in the USA is almost unknown that most countries in this hemisphere not only received large waves of immigrants from Europe and elsewhere, but also quite a few can literally be considered countries of immigrants (Argentina is a perfect example.) Its not just the USA. At times I even get the impression that people assume Canadians are not made up mostly of immigrants too!
You hit the nail on the head.

While I agree that US citizens calling themselves Americans is not so important, I still think that this fact leads to things like those described by Antonio84. It is true, immigrants sailing from Europe to "America" didn't think they were heading for the USA necessarily. They were going to America, (North, South, Central, whatever). I know many cases here in Argentina, where a family of immigrants coming from Europe was split into two: one ended up in the USA and the other part in Argentina. (or Brazil and Argentina, or Australia and Argentina, but the cases USA-Argentina are very common). But this splitting wasn't always deliberate, it was sometimes due to circumstances, to desperation, they didn't know exactly where they were going, but they wanted to leave.

And we have many sayings which include precisely the word América in this sense (the land of hope, of freedom) but that aren't necessarily referring to the USA, but rather to the continent.

That's why, as Antonio84 does, I do understand why some people from South America and Canada (don't know if there are too many Canadians) feel uncomfortable about this issue.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM

599 posts, read 2,592,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Our continent is named North America, our country is named United States! now some people put it as United States of America but it's still United States. Canada and Mexico is in the continent North America and of course South America is a continent also, not a country, so in fact if you were to introduce yourself as an American you are, however a Canadian is an American as well, a Mexican is an American as well, a person in Venezuela is an American as well. People in the United States are a bit laxed and ignorant and they believe we are the only Americans but we aren't, just like a lot of people from parts of Africa will get mad if you ask them how Africa is, Africa is a continent not a country and there are many countries in Africa. Hope I explained it as well as I could.

Well more than a few sources claim that "the Americas" or "America" is a continent composed by 3 regions, north america, central america and south america, but the continent is America or "the americas".

It was always well known till early to mid 20 century when the US tried to separate themselves from the spanish speaking countries creating labels such as south america, north america and latin america. In fact the continent has always been America, so Is europe , asia and Africa. I dont see people separating Europe into north and south and claiming north europe is a continent different from south europe, ditto for asia and africa.

In all over latin america and also other countries in the world children are thaught that there is only one continent "America" and that north america and south america arent continents apart.

http://saberespractico.com/wp-conten...ontinentes.jpg

check there.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Well more than a few sources claim that "the Americas" or "America" is a continent composed by 3 regions, north america, central america and south america, but the continent is America or "the americas".

It was always well known till early to mid 20 century when the US tried to separate themselves from the spanish speaking countries creating labels such as south america, north america and latin america. In fact the continent has always been America, so Is europe , asia and Africa. I dont see people separating Europe into north and south and claiming north europe is a continent different from south europe, ditto for asia and africa.

In all over latin america and also other countries in the world children are thaught that there is only one continent "America" and that north america and south america arent continents apart.

http://saberespractico.com/wp-conten...ontinentes.jpg

check there.
I think geologists would argue that North America and South America are distinct continents on different plates. What is called Central America is still part of the North America continent and Panama's Darien Gap area is where the two continents touch. It's not because of different languages and cultures that they are separated by North and South. I bet Amerigo Vespucci is rolling over in his grave listening to these arguments. If you are going to argue this then Europe and Asia are just one big landmass.

One thing you are missing is that the U.S. is comprised of states that joined a union. Canada is a state. Mexico is a state. Peru is a state. Another term for country. The U.S. is 50 of them united. Americans are citizens of the overall union, but everyone I've ever known refers to themselves as Californians, Texans, Floridians, etc, just as there are Mexicans, Brazilians, Peruvians, etc. Overall we're all Americans, but you'd be hard pressed to find a native Texan who doesn't call himself a Texan first, just like a Chilean calls himself that before calling himself an American(very similar flags for Chile and Texas, what's THAT about?).

Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
The reality is a lot of people from other countries are jealous of the United States and take every opportunity to find a way to criticize us to even petty means like getting mad at us for referring to ourselves as Americans. I studied in Oxford, and the Canadians there would distance themselves from us and try to say they had nothing in common with Americans because we were easy targets from envious Europeans. And this was in the 80's. Having been exposed to this, when I travel to other countries, I expect this type of jealous backlash. It's really pretty flattering.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The reality is a lot of people from other countries are jealous of the United States and take every opportunity to find a way to criticize us to even petty means like getting mad at us for referring to ourselves as Americans. I studied in Oxford, and the Canadians there would distance themselves from us and try to say they had nothing in common with Americans because we were easy targets from envious Europeans. And this was in the 80's. Having been exposed to this, when I travel to other countries, I expect this type of jealous backlash. It's really pretty flattering.
Actually Canadians separate themselves from us because they don't want to be associated with loud, brash Americans who assume everyone is jealous of their wealth. And having run our economy into the ditch there's not that much to be jealous of anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas