Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,400,320 times

Advertisements

The Americas. . .Our Americas! So vast. So diverse. Such an extensive region, streching from the northernmost to the southernmost hemispherical points of the Earth.

From impressive waterfalls, tropical beaches, impenetrable forrests, snow capped peaks, to the driest of deserts. These are but a few images which come to mind when thinking of Our Americas.

Our Americas. So many destinations which I wish to visit, yet so many which will merely remain an unattainable dream within my life.

Ellesmere Island, Rapa Nui, Ushuaia, Nova Scotia, Virgen Gorda, Machu Pichu, Pinar del Rio, Paramarimbo, Iguazu, Atacama, Puerto Quetzal, and on. . .and on.

If you're from Our Americas, please share about that one particular place which has forever transformed your life; that place for which feel much pride. Be it humble, be it impressive, please share about that one spot on the Map of the Americas which brings you pleasant memories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,391,559 times
I'm from the Americas. Father from the island of Saint Lucia and mother from the commonwealth of Dominica

Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm from the Americas. Father from the island of Saint Lucia and mother from the commonwealth of Dominica
I've read that Dominica is the only place which has a reservation where the last remaining Carib Indians reside. Is that correct?

Hopefully you have had the opportunity to visit those lovely Lesser Antillies islands. If so, is there anything in particular which stands out to your recollection? Would like to read of it!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I've read that Dominica is the only place which has a reservation where the last remaining Carib Indians reside. Is that correct?

Hopefully you have had the opportunity to visit those lovely Lesser Antillies islands. If so, is there anything in particular which stands out to your recollection? Would like to read of it!
Yes thats true Dominica is the only island where carib indian reside I've only been to St Lucia Dominica is very interested when you dig deep (research) Both VERY VERY similar culturally

Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho_NM View Post
White Sands National Monument- near the city of Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA- I am not even religious but first time I visited this place-I literally cried- I love this country!

The closest I've been to White Sands was Albuquerque. It was then that I came to understand why New Mexico is known as, "The Land of Enchantment." What a beautiful state. What a laid back atmosphere. Can never forget the aura and popularity of the Kachina(?) dolls.

My daughter and I stopped for breakfast at a Mom & Pop eatery in Gallup. Such down-to-earth people. The waitress took particular concern in my 5 year old who talked incessantly. (She is now 27 years old!:)

As we headed to Albuquerque, we forcibly took cover under a highway overpass due to marble sized hail.

We stayed three days in Albuquerque and toured a museum, ate at a recently opened Japanese Steakhouse, and shopped at a local open air market.

Pancho, you live in a truly blessed land. I can say that with all honesty because. . .I was there!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,955,728 times
Quote:
Hey I was not too far of where your parents are from. Puerto Rico here

I feel lucky to be from the Americas. We might mostly lack the history of Europe and the Middle East, but we do have our bright spots mostly the Mayans, Aztecs, and Incas. I prefer our environment as well, very striking and dramatic in differences.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 PM

Allow me to share a "Contemplative Place" which provided me with refuge and solace during a critical moment in my life; a place which, until this day, I still consider "My Sliver of Paradise On Earth." And of course, it is found within. . .Our Americas:

Growing up as a teenage boy in the 1970's I witnessed the tragic end of a few friends and several acquaintances. So often did I witness this that, at the immature age of 16, I took up jogging as a means of keeping myself distracted from the surrounding chaos.

On weekdays, I'd jog 2.5 miles on the shoulder lanes of Highway which traversed my hometown of Vega Alta in Puerto Rico. On weekends, I'd jog seven straight miles to the local beach of Cerro Gordo. Jogging became my antidote to the turmoil I often witnessed.

On weekends, each time I arrived at Cerro Gordo Beach, I'd look for (and find) "The Secluded Path" (El Camino Escondido) which only locals and a few outsiders were aware of.

For those of us who knew how to get there, the end of the "Secluded Path" took us to a place where solace and peace were a natural occurrence. It was a high up Cliff, which provided it's visitors with a constant canopy of cooling ocean spray.

Each time I arrived at The Cliffs, I'd look into the deep and distant ocean blue. I'd feel it's cooling spray and ponder on the life I was seeing unravel before mine eyes. It was upon those Cliffs that I came to the conclusion that I wanted a different life. I did not want to end up like my few friends and my several acquaintances.

Those jagged cliffs and Our blue oceans gave me reason to pause and take inventory of what was happening around me back then.

That Sliver of Paradise changed the course of my life. . .for the better!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 AM

Chacho just to let you know i'm of African ancestry which makes my family and me 'Afro-Caribbean' Also just to add Dominica is famously nicknamed the nature isle of the caribbean. Also has anyone heard of the pitons mountain in St Lucia.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:43 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,326,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

There are Carib indigenous peoples all throughout the Caribbean. Dominica has more than 4,000 Caribs in Dominica, and many of them look predominantly Native American, although many do have admixture. It's hard to find some fluent speakers of the once thriving and vibrant Carib language. Some Caribs speak French in Dominica, and in remote areas, some may not even speak English that well.

The Caribs make a good hot pan cassava bread, and they make other manioc based dishes. It's really good and they utilize coconuts and plantains into lots of dishes.

The Carib Reserve is very interesting. I find that they are not as knowledgable about their own people and listen to what some textbook says.

I know more than the people on the Carib reserve peoples do. It sucks what the invasion and conquests have done to disenfranchise abd uproot the Carib and other Native American and indigenous peoples

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 11-11-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 04:53 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,547,967 times
Quote:
Yes thats true Dominica is the only island where carib indian reside I've only been to St Lucia Dominica is very interested when you dig deep (research) Both VERY VERY similar culturally

Actually that is debatable. What might be more true to say in that Dominica is the only place in the Eastern Cariibean where self identified and politically mobilized people organize around being Carib. But people of Carib descent can be found in Martinique, St Lucia, St Vincent and Trinidad. In all instances (including Dominica) these are people of mixed ancestries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas