Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM

111 posts, read 243,220 times

Advertisements

I am hoping he will be a hardline reformer and bring the church back from the brink.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Wikipedia is not a very reliable source. Better info would be pages that have been academically accredited.
Then correct it

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
He looks as charismatic as my kitchen table.
If you're not Catholic what difference does it make to you? Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
He looks as charismatic as my kitchen table.
That is a personal opinion. I found him very charismatic and charming. I'm not a religious person (I'm a lapsed Catholic) but the Pope is the leader of over a billion people so he has a lot of influence. I hope he makes a lot of progress in ridding the Church of corrupt priests. I do think the majority of clergy are hard working and dedicated.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
Congratulations to all Catholics in the world!
Although I am gay, I am happy that you guys found a decent pope.
I don't really care how they are against gay marriage or abortion because it is their teachings for their congregations (not me), and I respect that.

I really like that he sounds like a humble man (based on the news). Plus like what somebody said already, he has a kind / warm face, unlike the previous pope. Pope Benedict (is that his name?) looks like an evil villain or the devil to me.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im against how the church acted in this and many other humanity events, im not catholic and think many of the church predicaments are old-fashioned to say it lightly.

However, the supposed Pope Francis connection to that dark period is up for debate. Some sources say he knew things, some say he didnt have any link whatsoever with that period.
Perez Ezquivel, peace nobel winner, says Francis didnt have any relationship with those militars here: Pérez Esquivel: "El Papa no tenía vínculos con la dictadura" - BBC Mundo - Últimas Noticias
Also said he contacted with Videla to help 2 other priests and ended up saving their lifes.

He seems to be clena about this if you ask me. But i dont agree at all on his views about many social issues. But of course he is a cardinal, you cant expect much of them in those respect.

For the options that were available, i think he is decent. He seems to be very humble and care a lot about the poor. He is also a jesuit and thats much better than the orthodox church, apparently they are more flexible and moderate.

But im against Popes existing in the first place. It is out dated, imo.
I wouldn't expect the Church to take any radical turns as long as Benedict is alive. There will be a sense that Benedict's views have to be respected, even though he resigned as Pope. I get the sense that Pope Francis I will still keep the Church conservative on social issues, but that his attitude toward those social issues will be a kinder, gentler attitude. His priority seems to be the care of the flock, rather than keeping the flock to rigid standards. Benedict, to me at least, wanted the Church to reaffirm certain standards, and wasn't shy about punishing those who didn't adhere to those standards. While we can only wait and see how Francis will use his authority, and Jesuits aren't famous for their flexibility, we can hope that Francis will make his appeals to Catholics as a more open, generous Pope.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Is Argentina the most anti-Catholic nation in Latin America?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,516,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Is this true?
I dont know i find it VERY strange that if any of this things were true, the guy would be so up there and respected in the Vatican. I think this news are bound the happen cause he is, well, the Pope, and in the world spotlight, but i dont think any of this acusations are proven.
I am not saying it is true and want to know, myself.

But I do not any longer totally trust the judgement of the curia or the hierarchy in the Church.

Also, there was one person who posted elsewhere who lives in Argentina and he said that the upper hierarchy is intensely conservative whereas the mainstream "street level" priests and nuns are progressive. Of course, conservative does not equal corrupt or evil! I do not mean to imply that in any way. But, according to this man, the upper hierarchy is less outspoken towards the lay powers-that-be in Argentina.

I just want to know that this Pope is all that they say he is.

I did not respect John Paul II because, being from Boston, and having lived when Cardinal Law was there, I do know for a fact that John Paul II protected Cardinal Law who is proven, without any doubt, to have ignored written letters from parents who pleaded for help against priests who had abused their children, and Law was responsible, directly, for transferring, from parish to parish, the pedophile priest, John Goeghan (who was murdered in prison, unfortunately) and also who befriended another priest who is in prison now, Paul Shanley. Cardinal Law resigned from his Boston post as Archbishop of the Diocese of Boston and he is now the Cardinal for a large basilica in Vatican City, courtesy of the late Pope John Paul II. Pope John Paul II has actually been considered for beatification and I find that this thought is inconceivable.

I think that the laity, not just the clergy, need to be more scrupulous as to who is elected Pope and about the conduct of a given Pope.

I do feel that the Popes should not be examined closely for their actions and do not want to assume that this Pope is clean. Poor guy might very well be the victim of slander (this new Pope says he is the victim of slander, as a matter of fact) and I grant that is a good possibility. I will wait till more comes out before I make a personal judgement.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I am not saying it is true and want to know, myself.

But I do not any longer totally trust the judgement of the curia or the hierarchy in the Church.

Also, there was one person who posted elsewhere who lives in Argentina and he said that the upper hierarchy is intensely conservative whereas the mainstream "street level" priests and nuns are progressive. Of course, conservative does not equal corrupt or evil! I do not mean to imply that in any way. But, according to this man, the upper hierarchy is less outspoken towards the lay powers-that-be in Argentina.

I just want to know that this Pope is all that they say he is.

I did not respect John Paul II because, being from Boston, and having lived when Cardinal Law was there, I do know for a fact that John Paul II protected Cardinal Law who is proven, without any doubt, to have ignored written letters from parents who pleaded for help against priests who had abused their children, and Law was responsible, directly, for transferring, from parish to parish, the pedophile priest, John Goeghan (who was murdered in prison, unfortunately) and also who befriended another priest who is in prison now, Paul Shanley. Cardinal Law resigned from his Boston post as Archbishop of the Diocese of Boston and he is now the Cardinal for a large basilica in Vatican City, courtesy of the late Pope John Paul II. Pope John Paul II has actually been considered for beatification and I find that this thought is inconceivable.

I think that the laity, not just the clergy, need to be more scrupulous as to who is elected Pope and about the conduct of a given Pope.

I do feel that the Popes should not be examined closely for their actions and do not want to assume that this Pope is clean. Poor guy might very well be the victim of slander (this new Pope says he is the victim of slander, as a matter of fact) and I grant that is a good possibility. I will wait till more comes out before I make a personal judgement.
It is so difficult to comprehend that these pedophile priests were protected and moved around so that they could keep abusing children. How could any decent person allow that? No wonder people lost faith in the Church.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is Argentina the most anti-Catholic nation in Latin America?
Yeah, probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas