Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:51 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times

Advertisements

I have been going to several Portuguese and Brazilian events, bakeries and related places recently in my city and have noticed some similarites and differences in cuisine. I also have both Portuguese and Brazilian co-workers and clients that bring in similar type desserts and bakes goods when we have parties. I know due to the tropical area and rainforest Brazil has way more cool and interesting local foods that would not likely be available in Portugal, but just wondering if these Brazilian places I am going to are offering items that are common in Portugal to try and get business from a larger variety of customers or if these types of items are common in Brazil too?

Examples....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times
Well obviously they have some desserts in common, but sometimes there are differences. I've never seen the egg tarts in a Brazilian restaurant, and I think serradura is almost exclusively Portuguese too. On the other hand Brazil has so many unique desserts, like quindim (coconut and yolk flan), maracuya mousse, tapioca crepes, brigadeiros, etc. Brazil just has all those natural things that Portugla doesn't

Old 06-25-2016, 12:34 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,583 times
This is the cultural aspect where Portugal probably had less influence in Brazil. Maybe because of the few number of women that crossed the Atlantic.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Default Lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
This is the cultural aspect where Portugal probably had less influence in Brazil. Maybe because of the few number of women that crossed the Atlantic.
Is that actually true? Ex mostly men came over? I was thinking when I see Brazilian food in shows it does not seem similar to Potugese food, but I guess in my city because of a shared language people from both countries might try to sell prducts from both places to maintain more customers.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:54 PM

749 posts, read 855,933 times
In fact, due to the distance, the now long years of independence, difference in population make and climate, Portugal and Brazil have much less in common than many people would think.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 AM

990 posts, read 880,042 times
When you noted most part of Brazilian and Portuguese cuisine are quite similar, because Brazilian food is most based in Portuguese food but it had the influence of others peoples and Brazil is developing itself alone since 200 years although big influx of millions Portuguese immigrants after independence came more influence.
Inside Brazil among our regions change a lot the cuisine too.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Well, just came back from a trip to Rio. There are foods from Portugal that are popular in Brazil, such as codfish fritters, and there are several Portuguese restaurants as well. But it seems that Brazilian cuisine has developed more or evolved on its local ingredients and conditions. Such as feijoada (black bean and meat stew), for example.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:31 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
Food is usually based on the resources available to cook and eat. Brazil has much more diverse array of resources and available foods. Portugal is mainly fish/seafood if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:13 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Food is usually based on the resources available to cook and eat. Brazil has much more diverse array of resources and available foods. Portugal is mainly fish/seafood if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think so just got back from a two week trip to Portugal(Pico,Azores islands to be precise) stayed with relatives in a village a 30 minute walk from the ocean. Well anyway pork and beef were served more often than fish, soups, white rice, french fries and bread baked daily( seem to be staples in Portugal salads not so much, this would not work with the typical American lifestyle(little activity). Coffee and conversation after meals is also obligatory.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Default Different lifestyles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I don't think so just got back from a two week trip to Portugal(Pico,Azores islands to be precise) stayed with relatives in a village a 30 minute walk from the ocean. Well anyway pork and beef were served more often than fish, soups, white rice, french fries and bread baked daily( seem to be staples in Portugal salads not so much, this would not work with the typical American lifestyle(little activity). Coffee and conversation after meals is also obligatory.
Don't get me started on Mediterranean living. If you live in a major American and Canadian city and you are use to fast pace living ... going there can be confusing lol at least for me. I am married to some on from a Mediterranean country and everytime I spend time there, things are painfully slow paced. Cafe culture is something I just don't get... siting around in one stop drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and talking for hours and hours several times a day kills me lol. I prefer a little more action .. and little less conversation ! Though I do like freshly baked bread !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas