Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:14 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times

Advertisements

I've noticed many Brazilians of predominately European descent get irritated whenever a question that entertains the international perception of Brazil and Brazilians come up. The issue that I have is that there's nothing wrong with Samba and the carnival culture? It's a great add-on to the Brazilian identity. What other brand could we associate with Brazil?

Here's a blog entry of a Brazilian who want to change the perception of Brazil.

Quote:
The most common image of Brazilian women is a stereotype, most of the time, a negative stereotype. To confirm that, we did a survey in our English class at UFRGS with academic mobility students that came to Brazil to learn Portuguese. They have been living here, in average, since the beginning of the year and they have been studying Portuguese and Brazilian culture, in average, for two years. According to them, [MOD CUT/copyright violation]
Brazilian Women Stereotypes - Brazilian News

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-23-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 05:52 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Seems to me that whomever wrote that want for the world to stop seeing Brazilian women as ready-to-be-raped prostitutes.

What's wrong with wanting a more positive image?

I agree with the premise of the complaint. Outside of Brazil the image is of a super liberal society when in reality Brazil is a very conservative nation.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Seems to me that whomever wrote that want for the world to stop seeing Brazilian women as ready-to-be-raped prostitutes.

What's wrong with wanting a more positive image?

I agree with the premise of the complaint. Outside of Brazil the image is of a super liberal society when in reality Brazil is a very conservative nation.

Beautiful women dancing to nice music isn't a positive image? Brazil isn't a conservative country. It's a progressive one.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Beautiful women dancing to nice music isn't a positive image?
Not when they look like prostitutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey
Brazil isn't a conservative country. It's a progressive one.
I can tell you have never been to Brazil.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Not when they look like prostitutes.

I can tell you have never been to Brazil.

Big butt women look like prostitutes? Your perception of women is limited. TIL petite women can't be prostitutes.

What's funny is that women are persistently sexualized in American(US) mass medium, but I don't think you have a problem with that.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 AM

3,992 posts, read 6,801,710 times
I agree with you that SOME white Brazilians get irritated about our traditional cultural roots, identity and image.

It's specially true in the states of São Paulo, Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul.

But that's a MINORITY.

Fact is, the MAJORITY of white Brazilians LOVE our identity, LOVE our music, LOVE our samba, and our culture.

If you have any doubt about it, go to the streets of Rio de Janeiro during the Carnaval, and look at the huge number of white Brazilians there, ejoying the samba.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I agree with you that SOME white Brazilians get irritated about our traditional cultural roots, identity and image.

It's specially true in the states of São Paulo, Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul.

But that's a MINORITY.

Fact is, the MAJORITY of white Brazilians LOVE our identity, LOVE our music, LOVE our samba, and our culture.

If you have any doubt about it, go to the streets of Rio de Janeiro during the Carnaval, and look at the huge number of white Brazilians there, ejoying the samba.
I believe you.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Big butt women look like prostitutes? Your perception of women is limited. TIL petite women can't be prostitutes.
Women in skimpy clothes shacking their behinds is an act that incites sexual desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey
What's funny is that women are persistently sexualized in American(US) mass medium, but I don't think you have a problem with that.
Actually, I do have a problem with this. Women shouldn't be treated as if they are only worthy of being prostitutes or mere objects of sexual gratification. There is a difference between the American objectification and the Brazilian one, because I don't think many people think of the United States as one giant brothel where sexuality is so liberated that girls frequently sleep even with their uncles and fathers and incest is widespread, which is how Brazil is often thought of.

Brazil is often seen as the largest brothel on earth with orgasm hungry women that exist for the sole purpose of satisfying every man that walks past them. That's why so many men in the USA are so interested in visiting Brazil.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 PM

I forgot to mention that there are Samba artists who are of predominately European descent.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,120 times
I agree partially with each.

Really hate how people here prioritize samba, soccer and churches either than what they actually need. I'll be creating a massive thread on those topics and exposing what actually happens in here that foreigners are not aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas