Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I love how some americans come here and say "you dont need to see the world when you have everything in USA" and then complain when people call them ignorants!
That's very ironic, considering that was the line everyone in the Soviet Union used when foreigners pointed out Sov. citizens weren't free to travel abroad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
The UK, Europe, Canada last time, from where I ducked down into the USA, I do not wish to repeat going through your airport security again.
Then how do you figure Americans do not travel? Plenty young Americans travel to Europe. Have you ever been to the Caribbean or Latin America? Young Americans definitely travel to those places. Can't blame you regarding the airport security but those of us who want to travel deal with it and go.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
With a brother who runs a backpackers in the North of New Zealand one thing that stands out is the lack of young Americans traveling.
With fifty million Americans with passports one would expect more of them.

We get lots of Canadians, Germans, Scandinavians,Israelis, and of course our dearly beloved brothers Australians who make their own rules up when we play them in sport.
In sheer numbers we get more Canadians than young Americans yet there is a lot more Americans

So if the USA is a rich country why don't your young travel, fear of the unknown ?
I have been to Argentina once and Germany twice. I would love to visit New Zealand, but it is really expensive to visit. It is about the same cost as it is to fly to Argentina and on the ground it is expensive like Europe. Most Americans in my peer group go to Mexico, the Caribbean, or Europe to party...

Most importantly, with the time difference, it needs to be at least a two week vacation because it will take a few days to get used to the time difference. It is hard to get that much time off.

With Argentina there is no jet lag because it is 2 (in the summer) or 3 (in the winter) hours ahead of Chicago, so I could jump off the plane and do whatever immediately. In Germany, I experienced slight jet lag going there, and really bad jet lag returning. It is painful to imagine the jet lag to and from New Zealand.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,149 times
It costs much more money for young Americans to travel because they must fly to most places except maybe Canada or Mexico. In Europe, countries are closer together so traveling is less expensive and it's somewhat easier to travel and experience different cultures and languages. For example, the time it took me to drive from Phoenix to Denver is the same time it takes to drive from Liezen, Austria to Birmingham, England. It would be great if more young Americans had the chance to travel but in reality it's somewhat difficult unless one does a study abroad program.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Have a fish sandwich along the Bosphorus and that cross the river into Sultanehmet and take in the sites and sounds of an ancient city - to walk into the Hagia Sophia is a breathtaking experience that can't be experienced anywhere else.
Just made me fuc**ng miss Istanbul even more than before.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You don't even need to leave the country if you want to see mountains , or want to go to a humid desert or you want to go to a swamp full of alligators or if you want to go to the hills to overlook the bay. America has the resorts, the beaches, the roller coasters, the cities (NYC, Miami, Chicago, LA) so why leave this country to go on vacation when its much cheaper to stay in the country.
Ummmmm...did you say beaches? The vast majority of continental U.S. beaches cannot touch those that you find abroad.

Personally, I travel outside of the U.S. to experience different cultures in their true environment. Plus, traveling is a beautiful reminder that there is a huge world out here with much to offer. In fact, my preference is to leave the U.S. at least once a year. Just got back a few weeks ago and am already beginning to plan for 2014...

Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I love how some americans come here and say "you dont need to see the world when you have everything in USA" and then complain when people call them ignorants!
Its not that we don't want to see the world, its just that we can see the world another time.
USA is so big and so diverse in landscapes and cities that we have alot of options to choose from here.
Why go all the way to New Zealand, Europe, Asia when you have New York City, Florida, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Rocky mountains, Hawaii, Chicago, Disneyworld, California all in your country.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its not that we don't want to see the world, its just that we can see the world another time.
USA is so big and so diverse in landscapes and cities that we have alot of options to choose from here.
Why go all the way to New Zealand, Europe, Asia when you have New York City, Florida, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Rocky mountains, Hawaii, Chicago, Disneyworld, California all in your country.

I tend to agree. I'd still like to travel around the world because there are definitly things/cultures abroad that we can't find on the North American continent. But, I could spend a life time simply exploring Canada, nevermind adding the US into it.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Well young Americans under 30 can have working visas in Australia. It only been established in the last few years. I not sure with New Zealand. Yet they can only work in Australia up to a year. Anyway French nationals who a few years ago were allowed to get working visas for under 30 also gained the working visas for 2 years. Anyway I been at some backpacker places now and there are so many French people staying at those hostels. There has been an increase in Americans but not as much as the French. If Americans under 30 were intitled for 2 year working visa then there would be more young Americans comming out here.

Plus here in Australia there are not many people under 30 from Austria, and Greece as they can't get working visas here in Australia.

Yet there are so many British, Irish, Scandanivans, Germans, Dutch, Japanese, South Koreans as well as French here on working visas. Getting working visas for foreigners is much harder in America than here in Australia. If it was easier getting working visas in America maybe there would be less people from those countries comming to Australia to work.

Last edited by other99; 08-11-2013 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:21 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Some people are just not fit to travel, or don't feel like they're missing anything by not taking a chance to see what's out there. I know people, both in Mexico and the U.S. that don't even bother to venture outside their city or state. Americans, they may no travel to New Zealand or Madagascar, but they sure do to Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean. Heck, even in Europe you see plenty of them, specially in places like London or Rome, mostly baby boomers of course, but also a growing number of young backpackers and newlyweds.

America is a whole continent, so I understand why most people don't even bother going to other countries. There's just so much to see, to do, to discover, an all that without having to leave the country.

I also think, that once you get to experience a different place, culture, language and people; you just can help but wanting to see more and more, of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas