Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yes, I understood fully well the assumption that you were making, and it simply doesn't ring true for all. Next time you should try not to have a knee-jerk, sarcastic reaction. I agree that going to a resort doesn't make one outdoorsy, but plenty people do far more than sit on a resort. Come on...
I think you need to reread what what going on perhaps 3 or 4 times before you respond as you clearly didn't comprehend completely. I wasn't the one making the assumption, I was responding to it. Let me explain as I would a child; it was mentioned be someone (not I) that Americans are generally not the outdoorsy type. Then somehow, it came up again and then the fact about tropical vacations came up which got mixed into outdoor activities. Now when Americans take tropical vacations, the vast majority are going to resorts unless they're on a research project of some kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
1. Most young Americans have all the money suck into college debt.
2. Aside of that, some of young Americans (some not all) are close minded; their definition of travelling is going to Europe. Alot of them don't like to explore to territories that they are not familiar with. This is something that irks me. I sometimes heard that some boasted how they have seen the world because they went to Italy once - for 10 days.
3. Also to the OP: how do you know that Americans don't travel to NZ? Do you ask all of the backpackers? All of the tourists? Also note that not all Americans are Caucasians. Good example is me.
Anytime I went to Asia they were shocked when I told them I am an american. So those Asians, Blacks and Latinos backpackers that you see in your country might be Americans. The fact that I am Asian does not mean I am from China.
We keep saying this, yet it just doesn't sink in.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No other country has the word "America" in its name.

Maybe Mexico, Brazil, et cetera, should have considered that before naming their countries. If they wanted to be called Americans, they should've adopted the name "America" for their country.
Another thing that's been repeated in various threads but doesn't sink in. I think they know this but just want to be difficult.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think you need to reread what what going on perhaps 3 or 4 times before you respond as you clearly didn't comprehend completely. I wasn't the one making the assumption, I was responding to it. Let me explain as I would a child; it was mentioned be someone (not I) that Americans are generally not the outdoorsy type. Then somehow, it came up again and then the fact about tropical vacations came up which got mixed into outdoor activities. Now when Americans take tropical vacations, the vast majority are going to resorts unless they're on a research project of some kind.
That is precisely the assumption which my post was addressing. We all know going to a tropical resort doesn't require being outdoorsy, but even tropical resorts have outdoorsy activities for guests. Do you assume the activities in which Americans participate? Maybe if you stop your childishness, all of this would not be necessary.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That is precisely the assumption which my post was addressing. We all know going to a tropical resort doesn't require being outdoorsy, but even tropical resorts have outdoorsy activities for guests. Do you assume the activities in which Americans participate? Maybe if you stop your childishness, all of this would not be necessary.
I'm not sure what type of head trauma it takes to create the sort of cognitive dissonance required to say such things. When the average (meaning most as I have been saying) American goes to places like Acapulco, Cancun, or Maui, they have a tendency to stay at resorts, lie on beaches. The most outdoorsy they get is swimming in the warm shallow sea and maybe taking a "made for tourist" trek up a local hill. This doesn't count as truly outdoorsy and you know it. Or at least I think you know it. Maybe you don't.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what type of head trauma it takes to create the sort of cognitive dissonance required to say such things. When the average (meaning most as I have been saying) American goes to places like Acapulco, Cancun, or Maui, they have a tendency to stay at resorts, lie on beaches. The most outdoorsy they get is swimming in the warm shallow sea and maybe taking a "made for tourist" trek up a local hill. This doesn't count as truly outdoorsy and you know it. Or at least I think you know it. Maybe you don't.
Maybe or maybe not. Those are assumptions that you would like make. I can see Americans as wanting the R&R that those resorts provide but perhaps doing one or two outdoorsy types of activities. But keep on with your snippy attitude just because someone doesn't completely agree with you.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe or maybe not. Those are assumptions that you would like make. I can see Americans as wanting the R&R that those resorts provide but perhaps doing one or two outdoorsy types of activities. But keep on with your snippy attitude just because someone doesn't completely agree with you.
The attitude is because I wasn't the one who initially made the assumption, I simply agreed with it and then you decided to jump on the first post YOU didn't agree with, hence the knee jerk reaction on your part.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The attitude is because I wasn't the one who initially made the assumption, I simply agreed with it and then you decided to jump on the first post YOU didn't agree with, hence the knee jerk reaction on your part.
Incorrect. You quoted my post to someone else with an attitude and only then did I respond to you. Let me refresh your memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
It isn't because it is too expensive, if you are in Canada it'd cost far more to get a flight to NZ directly. The problem is, younger Americans lack interest in travelling, a lot of them are not outdoorsy and tend to just be playing on their video game consoles a lot, but many other younger people do that too worldwide, I'm not sure why but America is different. Americans tend to prefer tropical places to vacation though like in Central America.
Quote:
Your post is a bit contradictory. If Americans are not outdoorsy then why the preference for tropical places like Central America? Are you familiar with Central America at all?
Then here you come with a snippy remark:

Quote:
Going to a tropical resort does not require being outdoorsy
Then I respond to you:

Quote:
And you really think that's all Americans do? Seriously?
The point is if younger Americans were not outdoorsy and prefer to play on their video game consoles and such, then it's likely that they wouldn't even bother going to tropical places like Central America. Even if they do not engage in the most outdoorsy activities, they are generally not going to be indoors. JMHO.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Incorrect. You quoted my post to someone else with an attitude and only then did I respond to you. Let me refresh your memory.

Then here you come with a snippy remark:

Then I respond to you:

The point is if younger Americans were not outdoorsy and prefer to play on their video game consoles and such, then it's likely that they wouldn't even bother going to tropical places like Central America. Even if they do not engage in the most outdoorsy activities, they are generally not going to be indoors. JMHO.
After all that, you still got it wrong. I'm not the one who said they wanted to stay indoors and play video games. That's what I've been trying to get across to you. You crossed posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
It isn't because it is too expensive, if you are in Canada it'd cost far more to get a flight to NZ directly. The problem is, younger Americans lack interest in travelling, a lot of them are not outdoorsy and tend to just be playing on their video game consoles a lot, but many other younger people do that too worldwide, I'm not sure why but America is different. Americans tend to prefer tropical places to vacation though like in Central America.
As a matter of fact, I think I recall disagreeing with that poster:
Quote:
This isn't entirely true. Many MANY college aged American would love nothing more than to travel but they simply can't due to financial reasons. I used to work with this age groups and the majority wanted to travel. Those that got help did. Many more planned trips only to never realize them due to financial hardship.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:53 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
With a brother who runs a backpackers in the North of New Zealand one thing that stands out is the lack of young Americans traveling.
With fifty million Americans with passports one would expect more of them.

We get lots of Canadians, Germans, Scandinavians,Israelis, and of course our dearly beloved brothers Australians who make their own rules up when we play them in sport.
In sheer numbers we get more Canadians than young Americans yet there is a lot more Americans

So if the USA is a rich country why don't your young travel, fear of the unknown ?
As someone who recently graduated college, and who is now in law school, the problem is student debt. College-aged Americans don't have the money to travel the world, and for those who do save up for trips, they are most likely not setting their sights on New Zealand. No offense to you or the country, but of the people my age that I know who went abroad in the last year, all of them except 2 or 3 went to Mexico. The others went to one of the Caribbean nations, and the final one went to France.

Other people I know decided to use their money on trips within the United States, as those are usually vastly cheaper. That's what I personally did this year, as my vacation ended up being a trip to Los Angeles. One friend of mine went to South Carolina, and yet another went for the mountains of Colorado. The vast majority went nowhere, except for maybe a small road trip to another close by city. I live in Chicago, and I had friends come up and visit me from St. Louis. That was their vacation for the year.

The simple fact is that Americans do went to travel, whether it's abroad or within the US itself, but we don't have the resources to do so. The economy still sucks, and the student debt problem is only getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas