Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger African culture?
Black Americans 15 22.39%
Afro-Latinos 52 77.61%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Most of the Cuban influences in Jamaica are derived from the Jamaicans who went to cut cane in Cuba or to dig the Panama Canal, and who returned to their homeland. jamaica was a very neglected Spanish collony, most Spaniards left when the Britiosh took over, and the vast majority of the ancestors of todays Jamaicans would have arrived when it was under British rule.
Wrong. There are tiny pockets of Jamaica that have Iberian influences as Taino ancestral lineages. You also seem to forget or overlook the fact that Jamaica has a sizable Sephardic Jewish population descended from colonial times which has maintained and thrived and keeps many aspects of Iberian cultural influences alive along with their unique liturgy.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yes, the term "Latin" is actually quite broad. It's just understood differently in different places.
True. In the USA, it's used to refer specifically to Spanish speaking populations. But in the true full definition it expands to the full spectrum.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
hmmmm. I didnt know that French people were actively into voodoo. Voodoo plays a very powerful role on that island. Nor did I think that mosy French people understood kreyol. the dominant language in that country. Nor did I think that French people ate the same foods that Haitians did.

I do know that at the elite level they identify strongly with France. Not sure for the 80% who have/ or had a rural base within the last two generations.
Lol. You clearly have not been to Haiti. Not all Haitians practice voodoo. Voodoo is not what Haiti is all about. Haiti is derived and based on Taino spiritual and esoteric traditions btw with African traditions laid on top or into it. Haitians are the conservators of Taino traditions you mainly.

Many French speaking people could make out what Haitian Creole speakers are saying and vice versa. Most Haitians interchange and code switch to French when they don't have a Creole word for what they are trying to say because the vocabulary becomes limited in Creole/Kreyol.

You are being dense and putting words in my mouth and twisting things around and ASSuming. I never said or mentioned anything about French or Haitian foods or cuisines which are both delicious btw. Haiti is heavily influenced by France, Spain, Africa, and Tainos as well as by other Latin American and Caribbean nations.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Most of the Cuban influences in Jamaica are derived from the Jamaicans who went to cut cane in Cuba or to dig the Panama Canal, and who returned to their homeland. jamaica was a very neglected Spanish collony, most Spaniards left when the Britiosh took over, and the vast majority of the ancestors of todays Jamaicans would have arrived when it was under British rule.
And again, there has always been back and forth migrations between Cuba and Jamaica.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:58 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
[quote=MelismaticEchoes;32095599][quote=caribny;32093057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Grenadians have a Latin based influenced culture. And just because you cited some subjective hypothetical example of Haitians living among people that are not really Latin does not take away or detract from the fact that Haitians are still Latin. Haitians are still unique and stand out among most groups.

There are many areas in Hudson Valley where Haitians live side by side with Orthodox Hasidic Jews, Mexicans, El Salvadorians, Guatemalans, and Ecuadorians. So what's your point? You arent saying anything special or important. It doesnt take away frol what I've said!Each group has it's distinctness.

Haitians are Latin still. If Ecuadorians settled among Haitians, does that make them that group? No. But Haitians are a Latin group.
OK A Grenadian has MORE in common with a Salvadorean than they do with a Vincentian, even though most Grenadians do not know French, and most no longer speak French creole. And they can only speak to a Salvadorean if the latter speak English, Because you know most Anglophones are monolingual, often arrogantly so.

I am sure that you are aware of a huge war between Haitians and Hasidic Jews in the Hudson Valley over the fact that the more organized Hasidic community is depriving the public school system (which is significantly Haitian in some places) of resources. Do not think that they will consider the realtions harmonious.

This still doesnt explain why Haitians live in Carnarsie, next door to Jamaicans and Guyanese, and not in Bushwisck with the Mexicans and Central Americans. After all its all Brooklyn. People generally live where they are comfortable in urban settings where they have more choice about where they can live.

Are you now arguing the people from Mali are Latin, because they speak French, and are a good deal more impacted by France than Grenada is?

Old 11-07-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Wrong. There are tiny pockets of Jamaica that have Iberian influences as Taino ancestral lineages. .

I wonder where are these pockets? Especially given that the Maroons (a proudly African people, so they perceive themselves) occupy most of these remote areas. Indeed they often boast 100% purity, whether true or not.

Jamaica is an Afro/Celtic/Anglo creole culture and the Asian Indian influences are a good deal more visible than Iberian.

To detect the Taino one would have to do a DNA test. Very few will show this as the Taino population was almost totally wiped out by the time th British got there, and almost every Jamaican is descended from people who came in under British colonial rule.

If you seek Latin influences in the Anglophone Caribbean try Tdad, strong connections to Venezuela with its Xmas celebrations. Now if you argue that they are heavily latin influenced, I will not argue with you.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yes, the term "Latin" is actually quite broad. It's just understood differently in different places.

He seems to be basing this on language. Using this yardstick English is a german dialect with Latin influences, both from when it was under Roman rule, and then when the Normans brought Latin influences via French.

So using this criteria every one in the Americas is Latin.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Lol. You clearly have not been to Haiti. Not all Haitians practice voodoo. .

But most do, even if they deny it. Yes I know that Haitians have an image problem and so hide certain aspects of the culture.

Tell you what I have been to Africa and the vibe that it presents in its spirituality is very much present in Haiti, and among Haitians. I was on a plane packed with Haitians returning home from a shopping visit to Curacao. These were not your Francophile elites, as they were your "informal commercial importers" (Jcans call them higglers, Guyanese call them traders). They reminded me of the Nigerians in London.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM

263 posts, read 808,519 times
Afro-Latinos playing their music to an African crowd. It doesn't get any better than this. That's culture.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
Afro-Latinos playing their music to an African crowd. It doesn't get any better than this. That's culture.

And what's your point? Hip hop, R&B, and reggae are now vastly more popular in sub Saharan Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas