Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your choice city is?
São Paulo 16 28.07%
New York 35 61.40%
Mexico City 18 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

There three are the western hemisphere's only hyper-cities (population exceeding 20 million). They're all incredibly different from one another and this comparison isn't about which one is more important but which one you prefer more for leisure travel or living.

Population of metropolis:
New York: 22,214,083
Mexico City: 21,404,435
São Paulo: 20,186,559

Compare them on climate, scenery, vibrancy, dining scene, museums, arts, theaters, skyline, architecture, outdoor activities, diversity, shopping, nightlife, and big city vibe (and anything else you can think of).

Which would you rather visit? Which would you rather live in?

Also I'll leave the poll as multiple choice-- so if you like multiple cities then you'll have multiple choices to vote for, if you want.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-21-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Climate:TIE Sao Paul, Mexico city
Scenery:Sao Paul
Vibrancy:NYC
Dining Scene:NYC
Museums:NYC
Art:Mexico City
theaters:NYC
Skyline:NYC
Architecture:Mexico City
Outdoor Activities:Sao Paul
Diversity:NYC
shopping:NYC
Nightlife:Tie NYC, Sao Paul
Big City Vibe:NYC

I would rather live in NYC because we win most of the categories except for climate and scenery and more but i like seasons and you can go to the beach in the summer.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Climate:TIE Sao Paul, Mexico city
I agreed with most of your posts, but are you effing kidding me?!?!?! TIE!?! Have you been to both of those cities? I guess if you like extremely steamy and hot hot summers and cold rainy winters, SP is ur place. Mexico City has some of the most beautiful weather in the world. It's close enough to the equator that it doesn't have extreme temperatures, but so high up in the mountains... that it's a constantly pleasant temperature all year long.

Most houses in Mexico City don't have AC or heaters built in to them. Sometimes it snows and sometimes a heatwave, but they are extreme rarities.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM

I would say Mexico City and NYC tie for dining. NYC has more restaurant variety, and really great Italian, Greek, you name it, restaurants,...and really off the beaten path hole in the wall gems... but...

Mexico City's food is to die for. Street food, restaurant food, even hamburgers at the local food truck are amazing... there's just a gastronomic treasure everywhere you go in the city. That's why we're so fat. )

Sao Paulo should at least get honorable mention for skyline. Obviously NYC's skyline is way more historic, and imposing, but Sao Paulo's skyline is NEVER ENDING. Whereas in NYC, when you leave Manhattan in any direction it doesn't take long to escape vertical buildings, in Sao Paulo, vertical living is king! Sao Paulo Paulo skyscrapers extend beyond the eye can see.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I agreed with most of your posts, but are you effing kidding me?!?!?! TIE!?! Have you been to both of those cities? I guess if you like extremely steamy and hot hot summers and cold rainy winters, SP is ur place. Mexico City has some of the most beautiful weather in the world. It's close enough to the equator that it doesn't have extreme temperatures, but so high up in the mountains... that it's a constantly pleasant temperature all year long.

Most houses in Mexico City don't have AC or heaters built in to them. Sometimes it snows and sometimes a heatwave, but they are extreme rarities.
I think sao paul actualy has pretty good weather but then again its my opinon and i have different opinons from others

Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,559 times
New York.....

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
The Latin American megacities are sort of enigmatic to me. I feel the only areas I'd take them over NYC is historic architecture, possibly streetlife, nightlife maybe, and street-food. NYC is a more international and well-rounded city.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 AM

195 posts, read 350,613 times
If crime wasn't a factor I would live in Mexico City in a heartbeat. NYC has lost a lot of character with all the yuppy/hispter invasion. It ridiculously expensive and I don't like the fact that they are always a target for attacks.

Sao Paolo is nice too but there is also crime and I'm not fluent in Portuguese

Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Mexico City is really not any more dangerous than NYC or any other big US city, I'm pretty sure.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
If crime wasn't a factor I would live in Mexico City in a heartbeat. NYC has lost a lot of character with all the yuppy/hispter invasion. It ridiculously expensive and I don't like the fact that they are always a target for attacks.

Sao Paolo is nice too but there is also crime and I'm not fluent in Portuguese
Crime is not the problem it was in DF... I admit, even 5 years ago, security was an issue, but I feel very safe walking around most areas of the city. My biggest gripe about Mexico City isn't even crime or smog... it's traffic. ... although I think we and SP tie in terms of worst traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas