Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 6,252 times

Advertisements

Hello Guys,

I don't know if I'm too young to decide this stuff, but basically I was thinking about where I should live in the future.

I hope to go to university in Canada and learn video game designing and software development. After graduating I was thinking of starting my own game company. Where should I start my business and live?

I was thinking of Brazil, for two reasons. First, The Brazilian gaming market is one of the largest in S America, so starting a game company there could be lucrative. And second reason: I lived in Brazil for seven years, and so I'm pretty fluent in Portuguese.

Would Brazil (Sao Paulo specifically) be a better place to start such a company than Canada?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
If you have to ask questions like that on C-D, you are not ready to start your own business.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,252 times
Yeah of course not, I'm only 14 haha im just thinking of like 10 years form now

Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJumperOfJoy View Post
Yeah of course not, I'm only 14 haha im just thinking of like 10 years form now
Go to bed, you have to go to school tomorrow. Get good grades or you won't be making video games.

Also, who knows where you'll want to live in 10 years? What's good now might not be good then.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 AM

195 posts, read 441,474 times
If that's what you want, why not?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 PM

3,991 posts, read 6,795,905 times
I think you are too young to decide that.

We don't even know how the video game industry will be in 2020. Probably it will be very different from what it is today.

Since you lived in Brazil, and you are fluent in Portuguese, I'm sure you can make a good decision at the right time.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,204,051 times
Why don't you spend more time at a Brazilian Portuguese forum about video games rather than post here at C-D? I am sure that having spent half of your life in Brazil, being fluent in Portuguese and being interested in video games, that you would know better. The only answers from a forum like this (majority of whom spent no or less time in Brazil than you, speak less Portuguese than you and know less about Brazilian video games than you, with none knowing you personally) is why not or why do you need to decide now.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Why don't you spend more time at a Brazilian Portuguese forum about video games rather than post here at C-D? I am sure that having spent half of your life in Brazil, being fluent in Portuguese and being interested in video games, that you would know better. The only answers from a forum like this (majority of whom spent no or less time in Brazil than you, speak less Portuguese than you and know less about Brazilian video games than you, with none knowing you personally) is why not or why do you need to decide now.

This forum is useless for locations outside of western Europe and the major English speaking countries. It's evident in the fact that at least half the topics in the foreign sections have to do with race and women in x country ; you know, low information turd balls

Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 PM

567 posts, read 890,046 times
Geez cut the kid some slack. Listen, like another poster said as of right now its a little too early to determine whether or not it will be a good move or not because in all reality, we don't know where Brazil or Canada will be by in 2020. Furthermore the gaming industry is constantly evolving. So job requirements are morphing every year. Although Brazilians have a huge gaming culture, that comes at a high cost. Due to taxes they are one of the countries that have to pay the most for importation of gaming systems. For that reason, maybe there will be an opportunity to produce Brazilian made gaming systems that you could sell them at a cheaper price. However, all of this is speculation and you really won't know until you finish your studies and start you job hunt. Which is a long way off. Being that your 14 your probably in 8th grade the best way you can prepare for that is if you start doing the following:

Start preparing for college so that you can get into a good program to study game design.

A. I highly recommend you take a practice ACT or SAT test this summer so you can familiarize yourself with the test. Do this every summer until your 11th grade year when you should take the final.

B. Take AP courses while your in high school so that you can start prepare for college.

C. Start looking at schools that offer game design courses. A buddy of mine just finished at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) in Georgia and he actually studied game design.

PM if you have any other questions. good luck

Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
It is hard to predict the future of Brazil. It has a lot of potential in every way, but I am not so sure they will be doing much better than today 5 years from now. A lot depends on the decision they take these days.

One question is, are you even allowed to move there regarding citizenship in the first place? I am sure a lot of people would like to live there, but can't.
And will you be able to afford to live there? SP and Rio are already very expensive cities today, and prices will likely not go down, but further up in the future.

I hate video games, so I don't how popular they are or will be in Brazil

Be that as it may, I would practice my Portuguese during the next 5 years or so and register on a Brazilian message board to stay up to date, get to know people who might help you etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas