Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It is super common, I know 4 people who have gone to Cuba via Mexico.
I thought they had charter flights out of Miami straight to Cuba.
Last time I took a flight out of MIA I saw it....granted it was a few years back....and the Bush administration had them cancelled , but Obama had reinstated them.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Here's a rebuttal to those who think Cubans are healthier.

Cuba: The Holodomor Next Door | National Review Online

With Cuba its always hard to find out which side is telling the truth. Most youtube tours thru Cuba do not show a starving population, though this migtht be indicative of the fact that the body can survive on less then we think, though there might be long term damaging consequences.

The fact also remains that a normal healthy person should also use the health systems only for screenings, check ups, and to deal with random accidents. So if the "health" of Cubans is atributable to its healthcare system then this indicates that it is an UNHEALTHY population.

One fact that remains though is that Cuba is one of the few Caribbean nations which doesnt receive immigrants from other nations. With Haiti and Jamaica nearby, BOTH major sources of intra Caribbean migration, obviously there is nothing in Cuba which interests them. One might recall that 90-100 years ago Cuba was a major destination for migrants from those two islands.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:54 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
I thought they had charter flights out of Miami straight to Cuba.
Last time I took a flight out of MIA I saw it....granted it was a few years back....and the Bush administration had them cancelled , but Obama had reinstated them.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

To tell you the truth I am not sure about that. I am in Southern CA and hung out in Mexico alot, at the travel agencies there I always saw travel packages to Cuba. One time I inquired about it and these flights flew out via Yucatán.

It is pretty common for Mexican youth to travel to Cuba, most of my friends have gone. We have a romanticized love affair with Cuban culture that we inherit from our parents who grew up listening to mambo, danzon, etc...

Old 06-12-2014, 07:15 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
To tell you the truth I am not sure about that. I am in Southern CA and hung out in Mexico alot, at the travel agencies there I always saw travel packages to Cuba. One time I inquired about it and these flights flew out via Yucatán.

It is pretty common for Mexican youth to travel to Cuba, most of my friends have gone. We have a romanticized love affair with Cuban culture that we inherit from our parents who grew up listening to mambo, danzon, etc...
A little bit of OT.

I read some time ago that the regions of Yucatán, Quintana Roo and Cuba, share customs and traditions like music, beverages, clothing, food, etc..
Your parents may have some Yucateco blood in them.

Pardon the OT...carry on.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
A little bit of OT.

I read some time ago that the regions of Yucatán, Quintana Roo and Cuba, share customs and traditions like music, beverages, clothing, food, etc..
Your parents may have some Yucateco blood in them.

Pardon the OT...carry on.

Yes they do. Veracruz also. They also have caribbean accents. In Veracruz the older people go out and dance danzon in the plazas in the evenings.

My mother is actually a beautiful woman from Guadalajara. She loves dancing so I grew up listening to all types of Latin American music- Cuban, Brazilian, Colombian, Andean.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:05 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I think it's impressive that Cuba has a good lifespan average at a low cost...maybe we should emulate their medical system.

I've observed and researched lifespan averages and cost of health care and I believe that once you get past the basics of vaccinations, good drinking water and proper sewage, diet and exercise become the biggest factors in overall health and lifespan. Expensive health care is overrated as a factor.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Mexico, a nation with a lot of poverty, seems to have no shortage of food markets. Would you find the same in any Cuban city or town?

food markets Mexico - Google Search

Old 06-18-2014, 09:34 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Mexico, a nation with a lot of poverty, seems to have no shortage of food markets. Would you find the same in any Cuban city or town?

food markets Mexico - Google Search

Yes, lots of food markets (private agriculture), lots of fruit stalls...but very expensive for current salaries...There are also supermarkets, etc, in hard currency (CUC) tremendously expensive, more expensive than the EEC.

There are also private stalls selling sandwiches, pizzas, ice cream, coffee.

As to statistics...I would take it with two grains of salt...

Old 06-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think it's impressive that Cuba has a good lifespan average at a low cost...maybe we should emulate their medical system.

I've observed and researched lifespan averages and cost of health care and I believe that once you get past the basics of vaccinations, good drinking water and proper sewage, diet and exercise become the biggest factors in overall health and lifespan. Expensive health care is overrated as a factor.

You are not being serious!!!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
With Cuba its always hard to find out which side is telling the truth. Most youtube tours thru Cuba do not show a starving population, though this migtht be indicative of the fact that the body can survive on less then we think, though there might be long term damaging consequences.

The fact also remains that a normal healthy person should also use the health systems only for screenings, check ups, and to deal with random accidents. So if the "health" of Cubans is atributable to its healthcare system then this indicates that it is an UNHEALTHY population.

One fact that remains though is that Cuba is one of the few Caribbean nations which doesnt receive immigrants from other nations. With Haiti and Jamaica nearby, BOTH major sources of intra Caribbean migration, obviously there is nothing in Cuba which interests them. One might recall that 90-100 years ago Cuba was a major destination for migrants from those two islands.

Cuba received many Jamaicans during the capitalist period, a large percentage of blacks have Jamaican background. Also received most of the fleeing whites from Haiti, they brought coffee and lots of French culture and last names.

There's a Haitian Detention Center in Maisi, the nearest point to Haiti, 77 km.

Kids in Cuba do look healthy, also youngsters...but I have seen people on their bones, very thin old people....

People eat bread and starch, yucca, plaintains, rice..so obesity is rampant.

The health of Cubans....like so many things are a matter of state security, not saying that statistics are "cooked"...Just everybody assumes that statistics are fabricated because bad statistics can be used by the "evil empire"....bla..bla...bla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas