Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:25 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/wo...ef=todayspaper

More about the hypocrisy of Brazilian attitudes about racism.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM

[quote=Mr.Falcon;35555991]Generalizing in the same level as you, black brazilians are very much more efficient than black americans to ensure their rights: they marry whites and have white babys.
[quote]

The pity is that you don't even know how indicative this is of how racist Latin Americans are. No they can't struggle for social, economic and political equality. They must ELIMINATE themselves. This just shows that the eugenics movement of the 19th and early 20th century isn't dead, when "whitening" was considered a valid goal.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:19 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,057 times
Like I already told I dont think blacks must be "redeemed" of anything.
But its History that the european emmigration was promoted in the slavory decline in a whitening project, due to the slaves were the majority of the population of Brazil in the first part of the 19th century.

Obviously this also prevents the growth of white population, and the mixed are increasing more and more. This is not only in Brazil.

So coming back to your point, in a so mixed country like Brazil, movements like those always seams fake.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post

So coming back to your point, in a so mixed country like Brazil, movements like those always seams fake.

So blacks must be content to wallow in poverty and do nothing to improve their lot as blacks. Their only hope is to beg some white person to feel sorry for them and miscegenate, and of course the mixed result might also feel ashamed of the black parent, given their lowly and hopeless position in society! So one day blacks will disappear and so the black problem is solved.

Sad isn't it, but maybe expected for a nation which embarrassed itself by displaying crude bigotry at the World Cup, even after their President warned them not to engage in that behavior!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/wo...ef=todayspaper

Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,057 times
What about studing?
Brazilian low class is very famous for not voting based in the quality of public schools, the refuse of doing homeworks or even attending the classes...

Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Indeed it appears to me that some younger white males seem quite eager to mix with blacks equivalent to them if they have a "cool" vibe.
You kind of nailed that. That's true. The U.S. is so segregated though, that event that is difficult to have happen, even when you want it. Any cool black guy gets major cred though, every time.

The biggest difference is that in the U.S., it's so uncommon for blacks and whites to socialize with each other. In Brazil, they will socialize with each other all the time. No problem whatsoever. It's very common to see tables of whites and blacks all mixed in and very very comfortable and normal in that situation.

In the U.S., if you see a table of black and white mixed together socializing, you'll think they must have been required to be sitting together for some reason.

That being said. The biggest difference I see between Brazil and the U.S., is that for jobs and such, it's mostly white Brazilians that get all the jobs. Structural racism.

I used to teach English in Brazil, and the moment I'd walk into a corporate office building (I use to teach Business English to Business people), you'd immediately see a very Portuguese/Italian/White look to the people, very clearly. You just wouldn't see a black Brazilian guy in a business suit ever.

I used to teach ONE albino guy with African features in every perceivable way except his skin color. He REGULARLY said in English that he was so thankful for his albino skin, as the rest of his features, there was no way he'd be working in a business suit in a company. No way.

Another thing I regularly remember in Brazil was going down to Copacabana Beach, and watching the Paddy Wagons (Police Buses) going up and down the beach, collecting all the black Brazilians and bringing them back to the fravelas. They were convinced they were only at the beach to rob the tourists, and were taking pre-emptive measures to prevent that. Unbelievable.

Too many stories I can think about with Brazil. That being said, socially the races intermix often, but the structural racism was something that was mind-bending to an American person like myself where the U.S. has gone through a lengthy process to try to straighten out some of that previous madness.

TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION: African-American in Sao Paulo. I was mostly living in Sao Paulo, and its a huge international city. I think it's one that an African-American should experience. There will probably be some things they will hate about it, and some they will love about it. For one, they can pretty much so socialize and date and hangout with anyone at anytime, without that repressive social segregation feel that the US sometimes exhibits very strongly. On the other hand, they will probably deal with the 'hey what are you doing here' until they open their mouth with the 'I'm American' obviousness. However, in other situations, I would have felt way more comfortable with black skin than my white skin, particularly when I wished I could just blend in a bit more, when I was just 'on the bus' or exploring a neighborhood that I suddenly wasn't so sure I should be walking around in anymore. It goes both ways, in other words. It's nice to look white in upper class establishments (that I could never afford despite being 'American', but it's not so fun being white when you just want to get your groove on with some good music in the shadier part of town).

Old 07-17-2014, 08:43 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times
So if there is social intermixing of the races in Brazil..are these people inter-mixing usually of the SAME social class??..or would
it be across DIFFERENT class lines where the poorer person would know their "place". Socializing among equals or
paternalistic socializing?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
So if there is social intermixing of the races in Brazil..are these people inter-mixing usually of the SAME social class??..or would
it be across DIFFERENT class lines where the poorer person would know their "place". Socializing among equals or
paternalistic socializing?
Well, there are plenty of poor people of all different colors in Brazil, and they do socialize and intermarry and hangout together all the time.

But the wealthiest Brazilians are almost always the whitest ones, they'll kind of self-segregate themselves from everyone.

So, yeah, a more class thing. But just take in mind that plenty of white Brazilians are also poor and uneducated as well. Particularly up in the Northeast.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 AM

758 posts, read 1,227,652 times
Is there a Brazilian middle-class like in the United States? that socializes across racial lines?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Is there a Brazilian middle-class like in the United States? that socializes across racial lines?
I felt like pretty much ALL of Brazil regularly socializes across racial lines. It definitely appears that way socially across the board.

It's NOTHING like the U.S., where 9 times out of 10, all the blacks sit at the same table with each other, with a few noticeably 'token' ones here and there who aren't.

In Brazil, they are really all mixed in together. And often times, you'll have white-looking Brazilians and black-looking Brazilians, who'll be related and in the same families, consistently.

It's really ONLY when you walk into a corporation/company, and suddenly it's like 'wow, where are all the black people at?' Meaning the darkest black people.

But everywhere else, Brazilians are of every kind of skin hue, and they are socially mixing together all over the place.

I'm not sure the stats on Brazil, and its a bit fuzzy to begin with, but it's MAYBE a 10-15% who might identify or label themselves black, and maybe something similar who might label themselves as white. The mass majority are just some various hue imbetween, plus you have indigenous mixed in as well. Almost all of them regardless of color, wouldn't identify themselves as black or white, even if they are on the extreme spectrum, they'd still consider themselves Brazilian.

It's something you really have to see to really understand. Your questions, rightfully so, seem very American square trying to fit into a Brazilian circle. It's just completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas