Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM

839 posts, read 3,075,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
You didn't read what I said
Yes, I read what you said. I wasn't implying that you meant to say that Latino is accurate, I was just commenting for anyone who didn't realize that.

Quote:
And, as a matter of fact, Most people in latin america don't even consider the Spanish, Portuguese, Basque, Gallecian, French or any of those to be "latino" at all, rather, rather "European" and nothing more. Surprised?
Surprised? I'm not surprised. In fact I myself wrote that nowadays it's being used to mean only Latin Americans more and more. Anyway, I wouldn't go as far as saying that "most" people in Latin America don't consider "European Latins" as "Latinos". I'd say that many do, yes, and the number is increasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 12:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,248,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Yes, I read what you said. I wasn't implying that you meant to say that Latino is accurate, I was just commenting for anyone who didn't realize that.

Surprised? I'm not surprised. In fact I myself wrote that nowadays it's being used to mean only Latin Americans more and more. Anyway, I wouldn't go as far as saying that "most" people in Latin America don't consider "European Latins" as "Latinos". I'd say that many do, yes, and the number is increasing.
Sanfel, sos un Argentino o estadounidense? De donde sos? Te pregunto porque en tu perfil como "ubicacion" tenes puesto "Argentina"

Old 08-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Sanfel, sos un Argentino o estadounidense? De donde sos? Te pregunto porque en tu perfil como "ubicacion" tenes puesto "Argentina"
Soy argentino.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 AM

Well then you know better than anyone Argentines have disdain for being labeled " hispanic" Nobody here uses that term

Old 08-30-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Well then you know better than anyone Argentines have disdain for being labeled " hispanic" Nobody here uses that term
Yes, I agree. In fact I didn't say we like that term. I'm sorry if it came along as that.

The only thing I said was about the term Latino. But it's true, hispanic doesn't sound good to our ears.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Quote:
Like I said, most folks in latin-american countries don't consider themselves Hispanics, they don't like it and reject it.. Feel free to argue the origins of the Word Hispana or whatever, it's missing the point that I originally made. I'm simply making the point that most folks in latin america resent being referred to as "Hispanic"

"Latino" is not accurate either, if by that term you're referring only to Latin Americans. In Spanish, "latinos" are all those people speaking a Latin-derived language. So, a Spaniard, a Portuguese, a Frenchperson or an Italian are as much "latinos" as a Latin American.

You didn't read what I said - What I was implying is that they'll accept being considered or referred to as a latino as opposed to being labeled Hispanic. This goes for Brazil as well...I know because just 5 minutes ago I asked 2 of the Brazilians I work with this very same question. And, as a matter of fact, Most people in latin america don't even consider the Spanish, Portuguese, Basque, Gallecian, French or any of those to be "latino" at all, rather "European" and nothing more. Surprised?
That's because Brasilians are generally not considered Hispanic but Lusofone since their culture is Portuguese.

Most people do not really know that the original Latins are people from Spain, Portugal, France, Romania and of course Italy. Latin America will not be called Latin America if not for the Spanish and Portuguese that colonised it and influenced the people with Latin culture.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
That's because Brasilians are generally not considered Hispanic but Lusofone since their culture is Portuguese.

Most people do not really know that the original Latins are people from Spain, Portugal, France, Romania and of course Italy. Latin America will not be called Latin America if not for the Spanish and Portuguese that colonised it and influenced the people with Latin culture.
Well the fact remains that society sees Hispanics as racial minority group in the US. There are so many videos about the growth of the Hispanics population and them surpassing the White population. Surprisingly other foreign media outlets see this perspective as well.

American media

Census Bureau: Whites will be minority by 2043 - YouTube

British media

Hispanics in California now outnumber whites - BBC News - YouTube

Russian media

USA: Latinos officially California's majority demographic - YouTube

Old 08-30-2014, 12:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
I always use Hispanoahablante.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:23 PM

Yes but the OP's question was:

"Which Spanish-speaking countries (whether in Latin America, Spain, or elsewhere) use 'hispanohablante' to denote a Spanish-speaker and which ones use 'hispanoparlante'?"

And I'm saying the fact that most latin-americans in these countries, at least in my experience on this end of south-america, they "do not" consider themselves "hispanics" or "hispanic" and resent being referred to as such. I have never heard "either" of these terms used here anywhere in latin america anywhere, frankly only in the US media have I heard this term to be quite honest. We have a tendency to toss around labels to and fro like this because we hear them somewhere in political debates or on "CNN" or some journalist adds them into a newspaper article and we think we're being "diverse" and "sensitive", when the reality is actually something quite different. Next thing you know some genius in Princeton somewhere offers a prerequisite University course on "the origins of hispanohablante"

I digress...

I've never heard either of these terms here to denote someone who is a spanish speaker, they generally have disdain for and refrain from using "hispano" here with just about anything. My point exactly was the Argentine gentlemen agreed with my point. Why' Because I have already been through this in the past myself and made this same mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas