Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,386 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I just graduated from college and am currently planning a south american adventure before I enter law school. So I want to go to Argentina for 2 months and Brazil for 2 as well. I am quite advanced in Spanish so I was thinking about taking Portuguese classes in both countries.

Can anyone recommend any safe, fun, and affordable Brazilian cities for young people? Safety is my biggest concern in Brazil obviously but I grew up in the hood here in the states so poverty doesn't phase me.

Also as for budget, I'm saving up but I want to keep my monthly expenses at $1.3k. Is that possible? I'm not a big drinker and I'm not going to be doing any luxury shopping, just going to need the basics those few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:31 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
Its just possible if you rent a modest place with kitchen per month, so you avoid daily rates and daily restaurants. If you want to travel to many different cities its too few money.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Hi all! I just graduated from college and am currently planning a south american adventure before I enter law school. So I want to go to Argentina for 2 months and Brazil for 2 as well. I am quite advanced in Spanish so I was thinking about taking Portuguese classes in both countries.

Can anyone recommend any safe, fun, and affordable Brazilian cities for young people? Safety is my biggest concern in Brazil obviously but I grew up in the hood here in the states so poverty doesn't phase me.

Also as for budget, I'm saving up but I want to keep my monthly expenses at $1.3k. Is that possible? I'm not a big drinker and I'm not going to be doing any luxury shopping, just going to need the basics those few months.
Well, growing up in the hood definately does give you a leg up on the average american. However, poverty? Trust me you have no idea...it's 100 times more poverty than you've ever seen in even the worst U.S neighborhoods. Also, the criminals here in South-America will make most of the thugs in the hood seem like a walk in the park to be quite honest.....nobody can beat them at what they do, hands down, and they are quite desperate to be honest as well. They'll violently attack, assualt and even kill anyone if they think the risk warrants it. I've heard of Argentines traveling to Brazil, only to be mugged on beaches in broad daylight and have their fingers cut-off to get at the gold wedding rings...I'm not joking, it happens.

Look, if you're caught in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong kinda folks, and they are going to rob you and you're gonna get wacked, it's probably gonna happen. They are "extremely quick" and agile...they've had plenty of practice and you'll have very little time to do much about it, most likely you won't even see it coming or be able to react in quick enough time to stop it, especially if it's a "robo de pirana" as we say in Argentina. However, there is a strong likelihood that nothing at all will happen and, as you say, you speak the language, this is going to help you enormously.

The most common crime however is the petty crime "Las pungas" we call them here in Argentina. Basically where they pick-pocket you, or someone comes up and throws a cup of coffee or coke in your face and then while they try and help you in the confusion, slip your wallet or valuables, or sometimes beat the living crap out of you too.....just depends.

The best thing to do is follow the lead of the locals, do what they do and sound like they do as much as possible. Don't be fearful, but always be aware of your surrounding and follow your gut. If something in an area doesn't feel right, leave, if some of the people around you are acting suspicious, leave.

Don't even think about entering the slums or "Las Favelas" in Brazil "Villas" in Argentina. You don't "dare" walk into those areas uninvited and you definately don't stay after dark.

The same rules apply for both countries, although Brazil is more sketchier and you have to be more vigilant in my opinion, although you need to be vigilant just about everywhere. You'll hear folks talk about how safe it is but don't take it for granted. Things can go bad very quickly "anywhere" especially if you happen to find yourself in "the wrong place at the wrong time"

More than likely you'll be fine: Keep money and belongings in front of you or in a hidden front waist pocket, not in a back-pack or side pockets. Don't go out with too much money, always have a friend or two accompany you to an ATM. Never allow anyone to offer you a ride that doesn't have car that's officially marked as a taxi or remis. Don't wear really fancy clothing or advertise yourself with fancy watches, gold chains anything like that. Don't draw attention to yourself, keep a general low profile. Don't offer money to strangers on the street if they ask, alot of times those are fronts for a quick "robo de pirana" If you're walking and someone is trying to approach you in an agressive or strange manner, immediately walk into the nearest kiosk, or almacen..

For learning Portuguese, focus on Brazil, that's the best place to do that. Make some friends with some locals and you'll have free lessons guaranteed. Living on 1.3K here in Argentina you'll be living like a King....I suspect in Brazil pretty much too.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 09-09-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Living on 1.3K here in Argentina you'll be living like a King....I suspect in Brazil pretty much too.
Well, during Carnival at least he can dress a fantasy of a king with paper crown if he wants

Old 09-15-2014, 06:29 AM

Argentina celebrates Carnival as well, however with not as much pomp as Uruguay and Brazil ( except for in Gualeguaychu in Entre Rios province )
Here it's more or less an exceuse to have a 4 day weekend and friends over for an "asado"

Old 09-19-2014, 07:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
You will not be able to pull off living in Rio on a 1.3k budget. Brasil is an expensive place to be, stick with Argentina.

Argentina is pretty cheap compared to some of the other Latin American countries.. but either way 1.3k is still a pretty low budget and you're going to have to watch your money carefully.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You will not be able to pull off living in Rio on a 1.3k budget. Brasil is an expensive place to be, stick with Argentina.

Anyways....

Argentina is pretty cheap compared to some of the other Latin American countries.. but either way 1.3k is still a pretty low budget and you're going to have to watch your money carefully.
Right now if you're coming from the U.S. to Argentina your "dollars" will go farther than ever. The official Gov't exchange rate here right now is like 8 or 9 pesos to the dollar but it actually should be somewhere along the lines of 14 or 15 pesos to the dollar.

Be forwarned, if you come to Argentina: Only exchange "what you need" make a budget, because it's REALLY hard now to get those pesos changed back to dollars and if you do, whether it's in a "Casa del cambio" or a guy on the street ( called "Arbolitos" here ) ....you're gonna lose BIG money exchanging back because the gov't levies an artifical exchange rate. Also alot of dollars are counterfeit in Argentina....so always check for that....check any large bills especially $100 dollar bills.
So, change for whatever pesos you'll spend and "spend them" also NO U.S. banks will exchange Argentine currency

Actually here's a tip: If you get stuck with a bunch of pesos that you can't exchange, wire them to a paypal account in the US...you'll be charged a fee, but at least you'll be exchanged according to the official rate in the U.S. instead of the gov'ts falsely, artificially controlled rate that they maintain here on the ground in Arg... exchange it here.....you'll lose money, and alot...

Avoid exchanging back to dollars here in Argentina at all costs if you can and make a budget, only change as close to "exact" as possible the money that you're going to use here for your visit. Also don't try to use Western Union....they charge an exhorbitant, unbelievable fee to wire transfer money using WU here....it's incredibly expensive....and besides their are HEAVY restrictions on the amount of money you can traqnsfer and to be honest it's not very much.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 10-01-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas