Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times

Advertisements

I'm cross-posting this thought, but anyhow:

I love how "hipster" has come to simply mean "any urban-dwelling person under 45 who enjoys any activities I don't participate in or who has personal tastes at all different from my own."

Nobody can agree on what "hipster" even means anymore, it's just a word people throw around, and it always applies to somebody else, not themselves or any of their friends, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 01:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I'm cross-posting this thought, but anyhow:

I love how "hipster" has come to simply mean "any urban-dwelling person under 45 who enjoys any activities I don't participate in or who has personal tastes at all different from my own."

Nobody can agree on what "hipster" even means anymore, it's just a word people throw around, and it always applies to somebody else, not themselves or any of their friends, of course.
I've read several blogposts/websites defining hipsters, and most of it sounds like regular stuff teen/20-somethings do. The same things they did in the 60's/70's, the same things I did as a kid, they're doing now, but now it's labeled "hipsters" instead of "idealistic youth" or whatever. And most of it is the same stuff a lot of 40- to 60-somethings are still doing now: environmentalism, recycling, experimental or world music, blah blah. What's the big deal? Now the thing is big, dorky glasses. In the 60's it was used wire-rims from vintage stores. Same with the clothes, just slight variations. I see it as young people on a tight budget getting creative with their limited options. Nothing new there.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Hispters, as they are called this generation, are just a manifestation of urban middle class subculture. It has been called many things over the decades and indeed centuries.

The ephemera changes from generation to generation, black turtlenecks and bongos in the 60s, long hair and love beads in the late 60s/70s, New Wave fashion in the 80s, etc. But it is nothing new.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:39 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Hipster are basically young bearded snobs that look dow at anyone that are not ''different'' e.g. a commoner

Old 11-26-2014, 02:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Hipster are basically young bearded snobs that look dow at anyone that are not ''different'' e.g. a commoner
Yeah, not entirely inaccurate.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've read several blogposts/websites defining hipsters, and most of it sounds like regular stuff teen/20-somethings do. The same things they did in the 60's/70's, the same things I did as a kid, they're doing now, but now it's labeled "hipsters" instead of "idealistic youth" or whatever. And most of it is the same stuff a lot of 40- to 60-somethings are still doing now: environmentalism, recycling, experimental or world music, blah blah. What's the big deal? Now the thing is big, dorky glasses. In the 60's it was used wire-rims from vintage stores. Same with the clothes, just slight variations. I see it as young people on a tight budget getting creative with their limited options. Nothing new there.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
I think it just depends on how much someone knows about subcultures.

It's like anything else. If you know a lot about 'international people'; than you'll see significant differentiation between each person respective of each culture out there on the planet. If a person knows nothing about the 'international' world, than they'll all look like a bunch of poor immigrants. Guns is another example. If someone knows things about guns, they'll see great variation and significance with every gun. Know nothing about guns, and they all look about the same.

Anyways, I think the blogposts/websites you are reading defining hipsters, are most likely very mainstream sources of people who aren't so sure themselves. Mainstream media seems to get a lot of things wrong. Even this article about on 'World's Hipster Neighborhoods' has a TON OF FLAWS. For one, the Philadelphia neighborhood is actually a very yuppie professional neighborhood. The Hong Kong one, is another very chinese working-class turned expat expense account yuppie. In other words, journalism often just doesn't know itself, they just 'create stories' based on whatever loose things they can find, regardless of accuracy, etc.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
... Some of my older relatives say that army/navy surplus stores and 2nd-hand clothing stores were popular when they were young, too, and there was a recession.
I'm seventy-six, when I lived in NYC as a young man these types of stores were popular when there was no recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas