Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:07 PM

766 posts, read 1,253,742 times

Advertisements

Before I start law school this August, I'm planning on taking an extended 4 month trip to South America. At this point I'm debating between Colombia or Argentina. I'm brown skinned so I'd fit in more skin color wise in Colombia but I don't think skin color is really that big of an issue in Argentina if you're educated and of a higher class. Also I'm gay so there's also that, so I'm not going to Colombia for the women -- rather I hear that the men in Argentina are more attractive so that's a big plus for me personally . I'm near fluency in Spanish so I guess the goal of my trip is to perfect my grammar and my accent, and I hear that Colombia's Spanish is very clear compared to Argentina. Not sure what to do.

Recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:31 PM

12 posts, read 26,732 times
Argentina is lgbt friendly (gay marriage), beautiful, and your dollar will go far because their economy isn't so good. There is European diversity (Italian, German, Jewish, French) but if youre mestizo (ie hispanic of mixed background) you will be looked at like a Bolivian/Peruvian migrant and there is a lot of resentment towards them amongst the working classes (similar to the "you took our jobs!" sentiment towards Mexicans in America, but more direct lol) and you will get crappier service...I'm a Sephardic Jew so I'm dark and I was treated like a job stealing immigrant in BA until I wore my kippot and they realized I was s Jew lol.

Due to the crisis, it isn't as safe as it was last year because people are poor now...they're ripe for a revolution/coup d'etat which happens every so often...

Also, Platense Spanish (Argentine and Uruguayan) is unlike other dialects...its more Italian than Spanish. Puerto Rican friends of mine have problems understanding them.

If this was last year, I would say Argentina, now Colombia is better. Stick to tourist spots, don't flash wealth, don't go home with strangers (they hold Americans for ransom $$$) and you'll have fun.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Before I start law school this August, I'm planning on taking an extended 4 month trip to South America. At this point I'm debating between Colombia or Argentina. I'm brown skinned so I'd fit in more skin color wise in Colombia but I don't think skin color is really that big of an issue in Argentina if you're educated and of a higher class. Also I'm gay so there's also that, so I'm not going to Colombia for the women -- rather I hear that the men in Argentina are more attractive so that's a big plus for me personally . I'm near fluency in Spanish so I guess the goal of my trip is to perfect my grammar and my accent, and I hear that Colombia's Spanish is very clear compared to Argentina. Not sure what to do.

Recommendations?
Well, near fluent and trying to perfect grammar and accent. Yes, Colombian Spanish is more phonetic, more clear, more well-pronounced than Argentine Spanish. I think that would put me more into the Colombia category.

But, you are more attracted to Argentines, if dating is a high priority.

Why not 2 months in Colombia, and 2 months in Argentina?

Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM

881 posts, read 921,592 times
^^
I think Argentine accent is as clear and phonetic as Colombian. It's just more musical and peculiar.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingonadream9856 View Post
Argentina is lgbt friendly (gay marriage), beautiful, and your dollar will go far because their economy isn't so good. There is European diversity (Italian, German, Jewish, French) but if youre mestizo (ie hispanic of mixed background) you will be looked at like a Bolivian/Peruvian migrant and there is a lot of resentment towards them amongst the working classes (similar to the "you took our jobs!" sentiment towards Mexicans in America, but more direct lol) and you will get crappier service...I'm a Sephardic Jew so I'm dark and I was treated like a job stealing immigrant in BA until I wore my kippot and they realized I was s Jew lol.

Due to the crisis, it isn't as safe as it was last year because people are poor now...they're ripe for a revolution/coup d'etat which happens every so often...

Also, Platense Spanish (Argentine and Uruguayan) is unlike other dialects...its more Italian than Spanish. Puerto Rican friends of mine have problems understanding them.

If this was last year, I would say Argentina, now Colombia is better. Stick to tourist spots, don't flash wealth, don't go home with strangers (they hold Americans for ransom $$$) and you'll have fun.
Hehe wow. I keep getting mixed responses when it comes to race relations. Some tell me that in the capital there isn't really any blatant discrimination but then I get responses like yours. To put things in perspective, I don't look Bolivian or Peruvian. I think those people tend to look more indigenous no?

Regardless I don't really care what the general population thinks about me. My goal for this trip is to learn grammar and have fun before school gets really serious. Hmm it seems like Colombia is the better option.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times
Quote:

Recommendations?
I think you know the answer (Colombia), but want to convince yourself that Buenos Aires/Argentina is the better choice due to your attraction preferences.

If you want to perfect your accent to the point of it being intelligible across a broad section of Spanish speakers in the US, then Colombia is 100% the way to go. Also, in Colombia, you have the option of exposing yourself to a Caribbean element, which is important if you plan to work on the East Coast, where Caribbean Latinos dominate. If you are on the West Coast, where there are more Mexicans/Central Americans, then the Colombian accent from Bogota works perfectly fine.

I had a friend who studied in Argentina for a semester, and she had trouble adjusting herself to the way Spanish was spoken (in general) on the West Coast of the U.S., compared to the one she learned in Buenos Aires.

Lastly, when it comes to the men...you'll find more variety in Colombia, due to the greater diversity of the country compared to Argentina, that is much more European in flavor (Italian/Spanish, followed by other ancestries). Then again, if you generally prefer the Southern European look over any other one, then I can see how Buenos Aires might be better suited for your taste (I prefer mixed/ambiguous looks in men and women, so Colombia -and Brazil- is my clear choice, haha).

Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 PM

23,211 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Hehe wow. I keep getting mixed responses when it comes to race relations. Some tell me that in the capital there isn't really any blatant discrimination but then I get responses like yours. To put things in perspective, I don't look Bolivian or Peruvian. I think those people tend to look more indigenous no?
I'm Gay, have traveled through much of South America, and my attraction takes me to the most indigenous. Those high cheekbones, the stone faces, that smooth skin, Yowza! The sight of them sends me into a kneeling position!

For the most indigenous: Ecuador and Bolivia!

If they're not your type, then skip these countries!

Argentina "killed off" most of their indigenous population, and 40% of the population have Italian roots, and you can still hear Italian being spoken there, but sorry, the Italian types don't cut for me, perhaps they do for you!

Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I think you know the answer (Colombia), but want to convince yourself that Buenos Aires/Argentina is the better choice due to your attraction preferences.

If you want to perfect your accent to the point of it being intelligible across a broad section of Spanish speakers in the US, then Colombia is 100% the way to go. Also, in Colombia, you have the option of exposing yourself to a Caribbean element, which is important if you plan to work on the East Coast, where Caribbean Latinos dominate. If you are on the West Coast, where there are more Mexicans/Central Americans, then the Colombian accent from Bogota works perfectly fine.

I had a friend who studied in Argentina for a semester, and she had trouble adjusting herself to the way Spanish was spoken (in general) on the West Coast of the U.S., compared to the one she learned in Buenos Aires.

Lastly, when it comes to the men...you'll find more variety in Colombia, due to the greater diversity of the country compared to Argentina, that is much more European in flavor (Italian/Spanish, followed by other ancestries). Then again, if you generally prefer the Southern European look over any other one, then I can see how Buenos Aires might be better suited for your taste (I prefer mixed/ambiguous looks in men and women, so Colombia -and Brazil- is my clear choice, haha).
Haha you totally get me. The obvious choice is Colombia economically and linguistically speaking but I don't know, I've taken a lot of literature classes that involved Argentine authors, and those stories resonated with me somehow. Thank you for your comments about the accent, it really gives me something else to think about.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm Gay, have traveled through much of South America, and my attraction takes me to the most indigenous. Those high cheekbones, the stone faces, that smooth skin, Yowza! The sight of them sends me into a kneeling position!

For the most indigenous: Ecuador and Bolivia!

If they're not your type, then skip these countries!

Argentina "killed off" most of their indigenous population, and 40% of the population have Italian roots, and you can still hear Italian being spoken there, but sorry, the Italian types don't cut for me, perhaps they do for you!
Haha I guess, to each his own. While I prefer the European look of the Argentines over the indigenous look, my dream boy is most definitely Venezuelan or a Brazilian. The former is a country that's a disaster zone while the latter defeats the whole purpose of mastering Spanish. Those venezolanos though

Old 01-20-2015, 01:13 AM

23,211 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I have to admit if you mix indigenous blood with other blood, the results can be outstanding! But if I wanted European looks, I'd go to Spain to master more Spanish!

I do know the indigenous-looking Gay people are discriminated against, even by Gay people down there. I read that one time on a Gay forum, how if someone that looks too indigenous shows up at a bar, they'll charge a higher club fee to drive them off!

I went to a Gay bathhouse in Quito one night, I didn't even stay a half-hour, as I was hunting more for the indigenous types, and they weren't there. I shouldn't have been surprised! The $7 admittance fee should have said it all!

I was in Ecuador, at the time when so many Venezuelans were fleeing Hugo Chavez, pouring over the border, and I asked someone: How can you tell the difference, given the similarity in looks, whether it's Peruvians or Venezuelans entering your country? The answer: the accent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas