Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 PM

42 posts, read 64,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferney View Post
the US offers more in terms of opportunity, diversity, things to do and see, bigger cities, bigger market, bigger and larger choices of everything.

it's like comparing pittsburgh with new york city
As I stated earlier, the United States selling points are lower cost of living (if I remember correctly) and more climate diversity.

Canada's are More sensible government and more cultural diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:12 AM

22 posts, read 27,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
As I stated earlier, the United States selling points are lower cost of living (if I remember correctly) and more climate diversity.

nah bro there is more cultural diversity in the US

while you have Quebec that is distinct from the rest, the rest of Canada is pretty much just english influenced with regional areas like the pacific coast, the prairies, ontario, the atlantic provinces, and then some first nations in the territories up north.

your british columbia is our pacific northwest

your territories up north is our Alaska

your prairie provinces is our dakotas, montana, wyoming, idaho.

your ontario is our great lakes region

your atlantic provinces it's our new england especially Maine

the only region you have which truly stands out from anything we have is Quebec, but we still have louisiana which is also french influenced like quebec

plus we have: South America and the caribbean in our country (see South Florida) / Mexico in our country (see the South west) / California which is its own unique planet / New Mexico which is like California its own unique world with a lot of Native American heritage / we also have our own Polynesia (Hawaii) / Texas which is like its own country / I don't think in Canada you have a region as historically and culturally unique as the south.

Not putting Canada down, but I think Canada's pro it's a sensible government and less crime. Other than that I prefer the US.

Last edited by ferney; 02-10-2015 at 01:21 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 02:45 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
One thing that both countries have in common is diversity (Canada with it's Asian and First Nation/Inuit population, and the Us with it's Black and Hispanic population.)
The US has a very large Asian population as well, especially in California and Hawaii (57% Asian), with other huge communities in New York, Texas, Washington, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois, etc. Plus, you have most Asian ethnicities well-represented within that population. Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, Thai, Indian, Pakistani, etc are all represented in pretty high numbers, generally higher than in Canada as the US just plain has a bigger population and has traditionally had greater immigration numbers.

Asian Canadians are 15.3% of the population, at 5 million people. Asian Americans are 5.3% of the total US population, at over 18 million people. So, the US is hardly slouching or lacking in Asian diversity.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:49 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:

Definitely has a more sensible government, but I disagree on cultural diversity. You referred to the US' culture as being more "homogeneous" which is just plain wrong; one of the reasons the US government is such a mess is that it is just about the US is basically as far from being culturally homogeneous as possible, so it can't come to a consensus on basically anything.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Why do I always see maps and studies and whatnot that put Canada ahead of the US in both cultural, and ethnic diversity?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 AM

484 posts, read 1,285,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Why do I always see maps and studies and whatnot that put Canada ahead of the US in both cultural, and ethnic diversity?
Yup

Ethnic diversity
A revealing map of the world’s most and least ethnically diverse countries - The Washington Post

Cultural diversity
The most (and least) culturally diverse countries in the world | Pew Research Center

Religious diversity
Religious Diversity Around The World | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 AM

22 posts, read 27,493 times
The mere fact most Canadians own a post box in the US and visit the US regularly for shopping, entertainment and more, while most Americans are oblivious to Canada, shows you which country dominates in all aspects.

As far as Cultural diversity, Canada is Anglophone and french with a whole lot of Asians and then smaller numbers of people from Europe, Africa, Latin America.

The US on the other hand has just about everything you can imagine and in respectable quantities.

Not to be rude, but I am getting sick of Canadians constantly comparing themselves to the US

Old 02-10-2015, 09:13 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times
Quote:
The mere fact most Canadians own a post box in the US and visit the US regularly for shopping, entertainment and more, while most Americans are oblivious to Canada, shows you which country dominates in all aspects.

As far as Cultural diversity, Canada is Anglophone and french with a whole lot of Asians and then smaller numbers of people from Europe, Africa, Latin America.

The US on the other hand has just about everything you can imagine and in respectable quantities.

Not to be rude, but I am getting sick of Canadians constantly comparing themselves to the US
I'm getting sick of people constantly whining about people who like to compare themselves to America. And "not to be rude" doesn't make your comment any less rude. Just saying.

Coming from a guy who wrote this on the Montreal vs San Diego thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferney
Climate: San Diego
Skyline/Scenery: San Diego
Urban: Montreal
Shopping: San Diego
Universities: San Diego
Economy: San Diego
Quality of life: San Diego
Cost of living: Montreal
Friendliness: San Diego
History: Montreal has french history, San Diego has Spain, then Mexican, then American history.
Gastronomy: San Diego (Mexican food)

San Diego is better, Montreal is too cold and unfriendly (if you don't speak french)
San Diego (America) rocks. Montreal (Canada) sucks. We get it.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Both are diverse countries but the way they're diverse is different. Both have a similar Native American element but most other non Whites in Canada are fairly recent immigrants. Canada feels more like a hybrid of Britain and the USA while the USA feels very different from Europe. The USA, especially the southern half, has been diverse for hundreds of years and has created a gumbo culture. White Southerners today play banjos (an African instrument) and eat foods of African origin like okra, corn bread / corn grits, and watermelon. Country music has origins that include Black Blues music. African American gospel music has origins of western Europe hymn singing. Etc. The Southwest USA had Hispanic residents way before Anglo ones.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 AM

156 posts, read 200,276 times
Quote:

As far as Cultural diversity, Canada is Anglophone and french with a whole lot Not to be rude, but I am getting sick of Canadians constantly comparing themselves to the US
Its not rude, just honest. Canadian here and cant stand the nonstop comparisons to the US either. Imagine if one guy was constantly looking out of the window at his neighbour obsessively basing his self worth on how well he stacks up against him. The irony of it all is that if America is the standard to beat, it kind of admits by default that America is superiour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas