Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:16 PM

88 posts, read 94,164 times

Advertisements

Give any example(s) of how London is better than Paris or vice versa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Does it matter?? They both fall wayyyyy short of the Bahamas Out Islands!!!

Old 12-05-2014, 04:19 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
In all seriousness, having been to both, if I had to choose one, I would go with Paris. The Euro is a bit weaker than the pound and I just thought the variety of museums in Paris were better as well as the FOOD!

Don't get me wrong, London is fantastic still, but between the 2 I would go to Paris.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
I have been to both multiple times, for leisure and for work. Neither is better than the other. They both have their good points and bad points.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:36 PM

88 posts, read 94,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Does it matter?? They both fall wayyyyy short of the Bahamas Out Islands!!!
LOL ur right

Old 12-05-2014, 08:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
In all seriousness, having been to both, if I had to choose one, I would go with Paris. The Euro is a bit weaker than the pound and I just thought the variety of museums in Paris were better as well as the FOOD!

Don't get me wrong, London is fantastic still, but between the 2 I would go to Paris.
No. no, no! London is the best!

At least for people who do not speak fluent French, it is far easier to get around and communicate in London. Also, unless you speak French, you may run in to some less than friendly French people.

London also has better beer, plus far better gin (I will cede the superiority on French wine).

London has less prentetious and more diverse food.

London have more interesting historical sites, such as the Tower of London, the Roman Wall, 221B Baker Street, the Jack the Ripper walk, the Beetles walk, plus Harry Potter stuff for the kids.

While Paris does have the Louve, the British Museum, the London Museum and the English National Gallery are all excellent.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:28 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Public transport in and around Paris is less expensive than London.

Paris is a smaller city and I've walked quite happily across large swathes of it in one go.

The main museums in London are free whereas places like the Louvre are not.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
The London Underground (subway) system has escalators (much needed since some of the subways are very deep underground.) Many of the Paris Metro stops don't have escalators.

London has many fine museums and galleries. And yes, being English-speaking is a big plus, I think. It's more accessible to a first-timer. There are also outstanding green spaces in London. Plus all the historical buildings like the Tower, St. Paul's, Westminster, etc.

Paris, of course, has charm. And beautiful places, and galleries, and food. If you can learn a few words of French so that merchants will be nice to you.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
If one is traveling, one might as well take the Chunnel and visit both instead of making it an either or.

Both are great. Paris has the edge in food, but London has better street layout.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:06 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
At least for people who do not speak fluent French, it is far easier to get around and communicate in London. Also, unless you speak French, you may run in to some less than friendly French people.
Excrement.

My French is basically non-existent. I have YET to encounter the rude Parisian who Americans universally lambaste. Not one rude waiter. Not one rude local. Everyone in Paris has bent over backwards to help a non-French speaking American visitor (that's me). Less than friendly? Haven't met someone like that yet. And I've been to Paris many, many times. A little courtesy goes a very, very long way in Paris. I have asked for directions and ended up being whisked away by total strangers to try this great brasserie nearby.

I prefer Paris to London. (And I love London. I love the English countryside even more.) But Paris is staggeringly great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel