Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:37 PM

42 posts, read 64,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
CSA's simply don't have an equivalent pretty much outside the U.S.. The Greater Golden Horsehoe nor these U.S CSA's even closely resemble a city or even megacity.. They are not cohesive and are for lack of better terms are a network of cities linked largely by highways with an anchor city lol but lots of wide open spaces in between...They are a linked region not megacities but if you're happy calling a CSA a megacity all the power to you - they are pretty weak measures when looking at anything resembling a linked 'city' or even 'megacity' imo.

Toronto as a city is far closer to Chicago in population and density than it is to S.F or D.C...Even in metro terms find me a city other than the U.S big 3 that does what the Greater Toronto Area does with in 3000 sq miles putting 6.5 million people in such a small and cohesive urban area. Outside 3000 sq miles even in L.A and Chicago you are simply in much lower density sprawlsville to the total max.

Also your CSA stats are updated to 2015.. Canada's stats are from 2011 - four years is a difference especially if you are speaking about your megaregions.. Statscan releases its stats next year so the Greater Golden Horseshoe will be updated.
You have the GTA which is 6 million. New York is about 8 million. So Toronto is close to catching up with New York.

Perhaps a second amalgamation should be in the works
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 04:02 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,875 times
I have 2 closest friends, we were all in the same batch from the company that we all joined 12 years ago and we're all engineers fresh from university then. Since then, we were all talking about moving to any country in the West (US, Canada, Europe), we're from Southeast Asia, to look for a better quality of life. Yeah, I admit it cos life sucks back home. I love my country but I believe anybody can be legally resident/citizen of the world if you have the needed skills to help your host country.

Fast forward today:
My friend 1 was headhunted by an MNC in Norway 2 years ago. He now, with his family, lives comfortably there.
My friend 2 applied an immigrant program in Canada, got approved and moved to Alberta last year, with his wife.
Just last month, I was transferred by my company here in our US branch.

So I guess, all our plans did materialize.

We are still keeping in touch through facebook. Every time I see their pics, their places are like paradise esp Norway, jaw dropping scenery! Their working environment seems very relax.

Some of the challenges my friend 1 had encountered are (1) the heavily dependent of Norway to oil. Now that oil dropped drastically, NOK currency (vs USD) went down on a very significant level and it affects his investments back in Asia. (2) The Asian presence in Norway is also very little, meaning less cultural diversity. (3) Except oil, everything is very expensive there. (4) Not to mention, the harsh winter.

My friend 2 in Canada is having trouble of finding high-tech manufacturing jobs in Canada (industry we were working back home). He had to take menial job just to get by (he left as a Manager back home). He was financially struggling when he first moved and had to live with a family in a small apartment/house. Now he has a stable job in automotive manufacturing as a technician. Hope he can claim his position back.

I never really thought of living in Canada. It is a great country but I prefer warmer weather and my skill set is not really in demand there. As for US, the international media always give US a bad impression being unsafe country to live in (we were living in Singapore for number of years). I was actually leaning towards any EU country, my skill set is widely in demand in there and there is a strong safety net for my family (health needs, education, safety etc...).

But now I'm in the US, and I think this is the best decision I've ever made. I live in a major city and it is relatively safe here. The weather is perfect, the job opportunity for me is abundant, the American lifestyle is like no other, the cost of living is relatively cheaper, the over-all economy is stable (some may not agree), the people are friendlier, I don't need to learn another language, its cultural diversity (we don't feel out of place)....... and I just simply love it here (I probably be in the honeymoon stage lol).

And oh, I hold North America account so I might be travelling often to Canada

Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Well but how does epic translate for the average citizen though in day to day lol... Canada is a lot larger than Finland btw in size, population with a much larger economy - just sayin... everything is relative
Agree I think he/she missed the point...lost in translation

Of course USA has 9 times the population of Canada
just like Canada has 8 times the population of Finland,
compared to Finland...Canada is epic It's all relative.

I think the OP wants compare what is better about living USA and what is better about living in
Canada, it's all somewhat subjective anyway.

As mentioned before...

Canada less guns (less of a gun culture) ....a good thing? ....I think so, some don't.
Possibly related to more guns/violence, US prison incarceration rates, highest in western world,7 times higher than Canada.
Canada social safety net is better, with paid maternity leave ...etc
Also Canadian universal healthcare....but if you need brain surgery USA is probably better

USA is better if you have a "special" talent in something....sky is the limit... $$$$,
if you don't Canada might be a bit better. More laid back, easy going
USA has more "go get'em rah rah" spirit, as can be witnessed even here on city data.
It would be nice if Canadians had a little more US-like chest pumping.

Overall not much differences, more differences among individuals themselves.
And oh yeah, most things are cheaper in the US

Old 02-08-2015, 04:36 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,704 times
Default city vs city...country vs country

These city vs city...and country polls are always an interesting read. However, you have to read through the biases as well. I think anyone that lives in America or Canada, are both pretty lucky. 2 large countries, with lots of land. Both are very safe countries, and offer economic opportunities.

I think it comes down to personal preferences and lifestyle. I lived in both countries on and off. I am not a big city fan, so Toronto was not my cup of tea. Neither was Chicago, even though I loved certain aspects of it.

Personally, I prefer to live in warm weather climates and have bounced from California, to Hawaii and Florida.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Agree I think he/she missed the point...lost in translation

Of course USA has 9 times the population of Canada
just like Canada has 8 times the population of Finland,
compared to Finland...Canada is epic It's all relative.

I think the OP wants compare what is better about living USA and what is better about living in
Canada, it's all somewhat subjective anyway.

As mentioned before...

Canada less guns (less of a gun culture) ....a good thing? ....I think so, some don't.
Possibly related to more guns/violence, US prison incarceration rates, highest in western world,7 times higher than Canada.
Canada social safety net is better, with paid maternity leave ...etc
Also Canadian universal healthcare....but if you need brain surgery USA is probably better

USA is better if you have a "special" talent in something....sky is the limit... $$$$,
if you don't Canada might be a bit better. More laid back, easy going
USA has more "go get'em rah rah" spirit, as can be witnessed even here on city data.

Overall not much differences, more differences among individuals themselves.
And oh yeah, most things are cheaper in the US
Now that I think about it.

Canada seems to center on practicality and wise government, the United States seems to center on convenience and going over the top (not just fiscally, but think Megaregions, differing opinions, etc).

And. Canada has more cultural diversity (think Quebec). But the United States has more climate diversity (think Alaska and Hawaii.)

Although they each have lite versions of the latter aspects (Puerto rico, and Kelowna).

Old 02-08-2015, 05:15 PM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
You have the GTA which is 6 million. New York is about 8 million. So Toronto is close to catching up with New York.

What is GTA and what site defines it?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What is GTA and what site defines it?
GTA = Greater Toronto Area.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post

Ha - nice try but not quite lol.. The GTA is basically a contiguous urbanized area.. Its not quite a U.S style CSA but it certainly more than a city proper.. The NYC city proper is 8 plus million vs Toronto's 2.8 million and its contiguous urbanized area is around 20 million vs T.O's 6.5 million.. Toronto will not be catching up to NYC in a looooooong time in either city proper/metro or contiguous urbanized area population

Old 02-08-2015, 05:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

Please don't say that. It would not be nice for Canada.

Americans have a bad reputation world-wide because of their chest thumping and braggadocio and it causes a lot of people to feel resentment towards America because of it. Where do you think the term "ugly American" comes from?

Canada is low key and laid back, it doesn't need to do any chest thumping and it doesn't need to garner resentment from other countries because of being cocky.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Ha - nice try but not quite lol.. The GTA is basically a contiguous urbanized area.. Its not quite a U.S style CSA but it certainly more than a city proper.. The NYC city proper is 8 plus million vs Toronto's 2.8 million and its contiguous urbanized area is around 20 million vs T.O's 6.5 million.. Toronto will not be catching up to NYC in a looooooong time in either city proper/metro or contiguous urbanized area population
So you think it'll catch up eventually? And is it more like an msa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas