Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:45 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
South Americans refer to themselves as Americanos (Americans) and use the term Gringo or Estadounidense (Unitedstatian) to refer to people from the USA.
Right on, although I've rarely heard them identify as americans....9 times out of 10 IME they'll always identify as nationality first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:31 AM

13 posts, read 10,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Argentina if so white even I would be dark down in that country, just call them white.

Borges said something similar, of course, making fun.

People in Buenos Aires are mostly Europeans, but the rest of the country, mainly down south, are rather mestizo.

The same was true in Mexico City and Havana in the past, as both cities received lots of Europeans that later fled to other countries because revolutions, as the case of Mexico, or fled from communism in Cuba.

Venezuela also received many immigrants, that are being expelled by the current situation.

Down South, the most prosperous part of Argentina, most people are mestizo and they eat lamb.

Buenos Aires is being invaded not only by Andeans, but by the so-called "morochos", Argentinians from older stock not very well liked in Buenos Aires.

In no time, one or two generations, they won't be different from their beloved Chileans and Bolitas and Paraguayans.

Why? Because Populist governments need "descamisados", not white middle class, they need a parallel and satelital B.S packed with "bolodovians".

Old 05-04-2015, 05:49 AM

13 posts, read 10,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Honestly, only the lesser educated would have an issue or would use it imperiously as if it was, is and will always be appropriate.

"Hispanic" is a term with European origins not American origins. Its roots are Latin and refers to the area of the Spanish empire around Spain. Since Spain and Portugal colonized what is central and South America, Hispanic refered to the areas under their control.

If you are in Paraguay, there is no reason to expect that locals would refer to one another using the same terminology. It is never going to the case where one term will remain constant across all countries or over time.

Don;t put too much weight on the usage of a word nor that usage does not have a beginning, often in some political moment in history.

Sometimes, usage becomes semi-permanent, rightly and wrongly.

S.

Hispanic is a Latin Term that described anything related to Hispania, the entire Iberian peninsula. Later, it was used to define the limits of the Carolingian Empire, the Marca Hispanica....ninth century.

Later, it was re-used recently by the US Census Bureau to categorize Mexicans, which until then were classified as white.

Hispanic is an idiotic and pedantic term, just as the "Anglo" term.

The US Census Bureau bureaucrat that re-used Roman terminology must have been a groupie of Leary.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 AM

440 posts, read 377,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Right on, although I've rarely heard them identify as americans....9 times out of 10 IME they'll always identify as nationality first
People don't speak about their continentality every day because there is no need for that, but when given the opportunity, people will tell you their continenttality. In this case, people in the American continent identify as Americans and, we have already discussed in other thread how sensitive this topic is for most Americans with the expection of Canadians (some of them).

Old 05-04-2015, 07:09 AM

469 posts, read 576,732 times
What I've always wondered is why so many Latin Americans down here refer to themselves as "Spanish". To me Spanish refers to people from Spain, which these folks clearly are not. It would be the equivalent of Americans, Canadians, Jamaicans, etc calling themselves English or British, would it not?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
I had thought that the U.S. invented "Hispanic" as a category for everyone south of the U.S. border except Brazilians. Not being from there it didn't affect me, until the mid-Seventies. At that time I had to classify all job applicants according to race and ethnicity, and Hispanic was in both categories! For the luv of Pete!

When I was doing my head-scratching aloud, a "Hispanic" co-worker advised, "Whatever you do, don't ask the applicant or you may still be listening to the lecture after 5 pm."

Old 05-04-2015, 08:08 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times
Marco Heidi - Borges said something similar, of course, making fun.

People in Buenos Aires are mostly Europeans, but the rest of the country, mainly down south, are rather mestizo - Wrong...actually mainly further north, especially Santiago del Estero and north and east or north and also west...although their are quite a few down south too. Get out of Buenos Aires, Cordoba and Rosario proper and it's pretty mestizo in most places actually

The same was true in Mexico City and Havana in the past, as both cities received lots of Europeans that later fled to other countries because revolutions, as the case of Mexico, or fled from communism in Cuba.

Venezuela also received many immigrants, that are being expelled by the current situation.

Down South, the most prosperous part of Argentina, most people are mestizo and they eat lamb - There's alot of wealthy land owners down in Patagonia, and it's true salaries and wages pay more in some areas in the south, mainly Usuaiah but that's because the gov't and local authorities are trying to encourage people to immigrate or move there, because it's so desolate and underpopulated. It's a policy they've maintained quite some time. Although they better move fast, Kristina is selling Patagonia to the Russians and Chinese faster than you can say the word "asado" They eat lamb in the northwest as well, up their it's so dry and sparse the only livestock that cqan really do well in that part of Argentina are goats and sheep. The sheep in the south are mainly procured and raised by the local welsh population, and they are hardly mestizo LOL

Buenos Aires is being invaded not only by Andeans, but by the so-called "morochos", Argentinians from older stock not very well liked in Buenos Aires - Morocho is a slang term used in alot of different ways here. Buenos Aires and other major cities are being invaded by dirt poor people from the interior provinces ( mainly Tucuman, Chaco, Formosa, and Santiago del Estero ) and also poor Paraguayans and Bolivians as well. However, there's always been a presence of dirt poor here living in slums. Actually now the gov't is trying to relocate some of these slums to other areas of the provinces as well.

In no time, one or two generations, they won't be different from their beloved Chileans and Bolitas and Paraguayans - I don't get it?

Why? Because Populist governments need "descamisados", not white middle class, they need a parallel and satelital B.S packed with "bolodovians". - True the ultra leftist gov'ts here survive off of the ultra poor, derechos humanos and the "entitlement" mentality which is so deeply entrenched here it will never be removed. It's always going to be that way....actually I'm going to predict it's going to get even more so down here.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:43 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
What I've always wondered is why so many Latin Americans down here refer to themselves as "Spanish". To me Spanish refers to people from Spain, which these folks clearly are not. It would be the equivalent of Americans, Canadians, Jamaicans, etc calling themselves English or British, would it not?
I have never heard a Latin American describe himself as "Spanish" It's the other people that do that, whites and blacks do it all the time. They probably do it because the only word they know is Spanish for the language. Most Latin Americans don't really care about Spain unless they are one of those few Cubans or Argentinians who think they are European.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:08 AM

469 posts, read 576,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I have never heard a Latin American describe himself as "Spanish" It's the other people that do that, whites and blacks do it all the time. They probably do it because the only word they know is Spanish for the language. Most Latin Americans don't really care about Spain unless they are one of those few Cubans or Argentinians who think they are European.
Whites and blacks definitely do this (outside of South Florida all I used to hear them call Spanish speakers was "Mexicans" ), no doubt, but I've seen just about an equal amount of all sorts of Latin Americans doing it as well when describing themselves or others. It's quite common with Puerto Ricans, but also Central Americans, Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and occasionally South Americans (although it seems to me less common with them for whatever reason). Coincidentally, when I lived in other parts of the country this wan't very common amongst Latin Americans, but in South Florida it's different. My girlfriend (who is Cuban) oddly enough finds it to be rather baffling as well.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:16 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

Yeah I agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas