Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:01 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times

Advertisements

Colombia has an underserving reputation of being a dangerous country filled with drug lords waiting to kidnap you so they can take your slippers and your 200 euros!!!

The reality is that, such preconception is more of a stereotype than the actual truth!!!

These are the most common fears people have when visiting Colombia and this is what Colombian locals have to say about it:

1. GETTING KIDNAPPED:
Worrying about kidnapping in Colombia is like worrying about visiting the American south and thinking you're gonna be lynched by the KKK in downtown Atlanta!!! Or that you're gonna go to LA and a chicano/mexican gang is gonna beat you up while walking down the Santa Monica pier!

Yes, kidnappings happen but they are rare, in 2013 there were 292 kidnappings in a country of 50 MILLION PEOPLE, and these involved high ranking military officers kidnapped by las farc in exchange for las farc prisoners, ONG and high profile westerners involved with the colombian government or las farc, and just farc and soldiers kidnapping each other in their conflict in the middle of the jungle.
https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=15445

Your chances of getting kidnapped as a nobody from Europe or the US are next to none.... why? because kidnapping occurs for political reasons, NO ONE WANTS YOUR 800 DOLLAR BANK ACCOUNT!!!

2. I AM BLACK I'LL BE DISCRIMINATED BECAUSE MEXICANS IN LA DONT LIKE BLACK PEOPLE
the stupidest claim I heard.

FIRST LET'S MAKE ONE THING CLEAR.... Colombians are NOT in any way shape or form Mexicans, we might speak the same language but that doesn't mean we are the same people, just like Americans and Jamaicans are not the same despite speaking both english!

Colombia's population is about 30% mulato or black or mixed with black to some degree.... so seeing a black face in Colombia is as common as seeing women in bikini on the beach on a summer day!!! If you're black and speak english people will assume you're a gringo and stereotype u with michael jackson, shaquille o neil, will smith and whoopee goldberg and see you as an American. Other than that I doubt people will have animosity towards you.

3. I AM WHITE, AND BLONDE, I'LL STAND OUT AND PEOPLE WILL KIDNAP ME
about 30% of colombia's population could easily pass for your average white people in America or Europe that is if they don't open their mouths and say they're colombians.... and they live normal lives and no one kidnaps them, kills them or robs them.

Seeing white people is not that rare, I myself have dark blonde hair and green eyes and no one looks at me (other than to give me compliments "the men that is")

the point is, don't walk around in bermuda shorts, with sandals and white socks up to your knees, looking like Al Bundy on holiday with your giant camera hanging from your shoulder walking like a moron around a favela/shantytown completely unaware of where you are.... dress like you would normally dress back home and you'll be ok! The places in Colombia you will frequent as a tourist as usually the places tourists frequent, they'll just say, oh yeah another tourist!!

4. HOW DO I KNOW WHERE TO GO?
There are entire websites dedicated to colombia written by backpackers and visitors who go to the country often and know the country more than most colombians.... read them or ask the local hotel on which areas to avoid.

Don't think this is some serious situation though... think of it as visiting big US cities (you know there are rough spots that you don't go to, and then there are parts you stick to) common awareness anywhere in the world.

in Bogota avoid the south side of the city, most bogotan locals don't even venture there either, so you don't have to.... and go there only if a local takes you and you want to see bogota's rough side.

in Medellin avoid the communas

and so on.

5. PEOPLE WILL ROB ME
People will rob you like they rob you in brooklyn, paris, shanghai or barcelona. I have never been robbed in colombia in all of my life, the only time I was robbed was scary and at knife point and it was when I lived in SWITZERLAND and a blonde hair blue eyed handsome guy took 298 euros from at knife point in Geneva (SWITZERLAND, ONCE AGAIN SWITZERLAND)

be street smart

Colombia has a delicate political situation because of LAS FARC but that doesn't involve you... its a conflict that has over 60 years of existence and it is between the government and the guerrillas.... the average person tourist is pretty much unaffected by it. Colombia rough years in the 80's and 90's are over.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:05 AM

oh and the whole hookers, drugs, scams.... they happen everywhere in the world... even in pinnacles of safe first world places like Paris, London and NYC.

if a hooker robs you in some gutter somewhere in a big colombian city IT'S YOUR FAULT.... it's not a reflection of Colombia but a reflection of who you are who goes to another country to the first gutter hole you can find in search of hookers!

Old 05-13-2015, 05:13 AM

oh and if you're a westerner looking for a colombian girlfriend (TONS OF THOSE)
have common sense, don't go to some cheap bar frequented by westerners and prostitutes who do business with them and then get disappointed because all you met was hookers and women who wanted your money.

Common sense will tell you, if you wanna meet a nice colombian woman, then try to meet her thru friends or thru activities that cater to common interests...

decent girlfriend material colombian women are not full of plastic surgery, nor they will go to bars full of foreigners looking for sex. Decent colombian girls can be found in universities across the country, night clubs in places not frequented by foreigners (if you wanna go to those places tell your colombian friend to take to a night club in some town around medellin, el oriente antioqueno is a nice choice)

Old 05-13-2015, 05:27 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Colombia is a cool country and safety has improved tremendously in the past 10 years but many bad things have happened in the past and these should not be overlooked if one plans to travel there. I personally know several persons who no longer live there because of violent acts directed against them, their family, and friends; Oh, and you will be stared at if you are blonde (and sometimes if you are white) and blacks do suffer from discrimination. Just ask any black Colombian.

This is not to dissuade anyone from going there, its a nice country - just do so knowing some of the history of the place(s) you are visiting.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Colombia is a cool country and safety has improved tremendously in the past 10 years but many bad things have happened in the past and these should not be overlooked if one plans to travel there. I personally know several persons who no longer live there because of violent acts directed against them, their family, and friends; Oh, and you will be stared at if you are blonde (and sometimes if you are white) and blacks do suffer from discrimination. Just ask any black Colombian.

This is not to dissuade anyone from going there, its a nice country - just do so knowing some of the history of the place(s) you are visiting.
some people will look at you but most don't... and if you;re black u can face discrimination anywhere unfortunatly, that doesn't mean its a common thing in colombia.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:28 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post

in Medellin avoid the communas
Comuna has only one "m" Comuna is not the same as "favela" in Brazil or "barrio" in Mexico.

Everything in Medellin is in a "comuna" It's like saying "a district". So if you avoid the "comunas" you will be avoiding the whole city. What people recommend is to avoid certain comunas, like comuna 13 or sometimes they call "comunas populares" to those with lower "estratos"(class)

The Spanish document is more complete

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commune_(Medell%C3%ADn)
Comunas de Medellín - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

Old 05-14-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Comuna has only one "m" Comuna is not the same as "favela" in Brazil or "barrio" in Mexico.

Everything in Medellin is in a "comuna" It's like saying "a district". So if you avoid the "comunas" you will be avoiding the whole city. What people recommend is to avoid certain comunas, like comuna 13 or sometimes they call "comunas populares" to those with lower "estratos"(class)

The Spanish document is more complete

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commune_(Medell%C3%ADn)
Comunas de Medellín - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre
Communas

and when us locals say communas we mean the impoverished outskirts of the north east of the city.... no one in medellin would call las palmas a communal

let me guess your mom is from pereira and you were born in florida or something so you're an expert on my country and hometown now?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Communas

and when us locals say communas we mean the impoverished outskirts of the north east of the city.... no one in medellin would call las palmas a communal

let me guess your mom is from pereira and you were born in florida or something so you're an expert on my country and hometown now?
"communal"?
I don't know what "your country" is but for sure it is not a Spanish speaking nation. Taradito.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:05 AM

whatever you want to believer sweetie (communal) auto-correct on my computer

life is WAY TO SHORT to argue with you on the internet

Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
For someone who wants to dispel ignorance, you always seem to say pretty dumb things about Mexicans, Chicanos, etc...basing your 'information' on things you read online.

It would be nice if you stuck to your topic and leave us out of your nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas