Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:57 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
So what can a tourist do there, what can they see?? Are the beaches safe?
There are plenty of things to do.

Safety in the beaches depends on the time of the day.

The "most fun" of all beaches in the city is Praia do Futuro, but the area is only safe during daylight, it's not very safe at night.

But there is no reason to stay in Praia do Futuro at night, nightlife in Fortaleza is very good, and it's not centered in Praia do Futuro (even if there are parties in that area too).

But most tourists who come to Fortaleza actually visit the beaches outside of Fortaleza. There are many good beaches that are less than two hours away by car or bus.

One place that many people go, specially those who have kids, is the "Beach Park" waterpark, in the Porto das Dunas beach, in the neighboring municipality of Aquiraz. Beach Park is considered one of the best waterparks in the world. And it's actually at the seaside, as the name suggests, and has a great view to the ocean.

We don't have many museums or much of historic architecture, since Fortaleza wasn't an important city for most of Brazil's history. In fact, Fortaleza by 1920 was just a town of only 78,536 inhabitants. The only interesting places to visit in the historic downtown are the Passeio Publico square, and the Mercado Central (Central Marketplace).

So, Fortaleza is basically a city of beaches, waterparks and cool nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Maybe the reason the murder problems of Fortaleza haven't affected you is because there are 2 Fortaleza's and you just happen to live in the richer one. I don't know you at all so maybe I am wrong but that would seem to be the only reason you have been unaffected. Those murder numbers you posted are no joke. If you happen to live in the poorer part of Fortaleza and haven't experienced any effects from the high murder rate, then congrats to you. That is truly remarkable.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,138,862 times
I grew up in the city in the USA with the highest murder rate and when you go to a place where anyone, including women, can walk alone at night safely, you realize how valuable that is. Having said the above, I still love going to visit my hometown of New Orleans even with its high crime rate.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Maybe the reason the murder problems of Fortaleza haven't affected you is because there are 2 Fortaleza's and you just happen to live in the richer one. I don't know you at all so maybe I am wrong but that would seem to be the only reason you have been unaffected. Those murder numbers you posted are no joke. If you happen to live in the poorer part of Fortaleza and haven't experienced any effects from the high murder rate, then congrats to you. That is truly remarkable.

I live in the "rich" side. I have dozens of friends in the "poor" side, and I go to the "poor" side almost every day.

None of my friends in the "poor" side were ever murdered. The person who I knew that I mentioned that was murdered wasn't my friend.

Do you want to know if I heard the gunshots of a murder in the poor side in some ocasion? Yes. I heard it. Twice. Two murders that happened less than 500 meters from me. I didn't see them, but I could hear them. The sound of the gunshots.

Do you think I was afraid in any of the two ocasions? Not even a bit, just like my friends who were with me also weren't afraid. "Another one bites the dust", is what they said (well, not exactly that, but a local version of the phrase). They knew they had nothing to do with the issue. They were just curious to know who was the criminal from the "hood" that was shot at that time.

So, here you have a first hand account from someone who knows the "reality" very well...

So, why you think you have the right to teach us that those murder numbers "are no joke"? We make jokes with all of our problems here, this is way things are in Ceara. The murder rate is a problem? Sure it is. But we see no reason why we can't make jokes with that, just like we make jokes with all other problems.

Of course everyone here wants the national criminal laws of Brazil to change, and the Judiciary to work better, so murderers can be properly punished. But while that doesn't happen, we will keep making jokes, and we won't live in fear. We know 95% of murder victims are scumbags who will not be missed. But we would prefer if they were in jail, not being shot in the streets by their rivals.

By the way, back to the "rich" side "poor" side thing, yes, most murders happen in the poor side. So that means they happen far away from touristic areas.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Just to illustrate my post above:

important note: 99% of people who live in the poor side are hard working people who hate the 1% of criminals who live nearby, and really don't care when one of those criminals is shot by a rival

Old 12-22-2015, 05:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Just to illustrate my post above:

important note: 99% of people who live in the poor side are hard working people who hate the 1% of criminals who live nearby, and really don't care when one of those criminals is shot by a rival

"No joke" is just a slang term meaning that the city seems rough (e.g. don't play with those guys from xxx area, they are no joke). Not trying to teach you anything. I appreciate the insight from an actual Brazilian. Well aware that locals will make jokes about any type of situation affecting them.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:37 AM

I didn't watch your video, Capitalists.

And I won't watch.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:36 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalists View Post
Cresce garoto, você está com implicância comigo faz tempo.
According to the site rules, you shall refrain from writing on any other language that is not English.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:12 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
According to the site rules, you shall refrain from writing on any other language that is not English.
Lol. Oops!

Old 12-28-2015, 02:37 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
The fact that you feel the need to make a thread about this just shows how unsafe Brazil really is.
FTFY.

Anyone who thinks that the dangers of travelling in Brazil are overhyped should watch the Departures episode that was filmed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas