Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Yes it's interesting how Nicaragua, despite being the poorest country in the Americas after Haiti has managed to avoid the violence of it's northern neighbours. It violence and murder rates are a small fraction of Hon/ES/Guat.
Quote:
I have been told that in Nicaragua the "secure" situation may be the result of having a long term leader Daniel Ortega who has been in power for 10 years. Perhaps someone else from Nicaragua can enlighten further as to why Nicaragua hasn't had the violence of its northern neighbours.
There are probably several reasons why Nicaragua is safer then its neighbors, but I doubt Ortega being in power so long has much to do with it. I think one of the possible reasons is immigration patterns, Not as many Nicaraguans settled in the hardcore barrios of LA like Salvadoreans and Guatemalans did. At least not as many. That hardcore gang bang mentality wasn't imported back to Nicaragua with deportees, like it was to El Salvador. For what ever reason Salvadorean youth really took that life style. Despite the high levels of violence in Guatemala and the reputation it has for gang banging, gangs aren't as big of a problem there as in neighboring El Salvador, and despite their numbers in LA, there are no real Guatemalan gangs in LA either.

Hondurans started migrating to LA a bit later, I really don't know why Salvadorean gangs took off there so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There are probably several reasons why Nicaragua is safer then its neighbors, but I doubt Ortega being in power so long has much to do with it. I think one of the possible reasons is immigration patterns, Not as many Nicaraguans settled in the hardcore barrios of LA like Salvadoreans and Guatemalans did. At least not as many. That hardcore gang bang mentality wasn't imported back to Nicaragua with deportees, like it was to El Salvador. For what ever reason Salvadorean youth really took that life style. Despite the high levels of violence in Guatemala and the reputation it has for gang banging, gangs aren't as big of a problem there as in neighboring El Salvador, and despite their numbers in LA, there are no real Guatemalan gangs in LA either.

Hondurans started migrating to LA a bit later, I really don't know why Salvadorean gangs took off there so much.
This is very spot on. The adoption of gang culture in LA is a HUGE contributing factor for the growth of violence in El Salvador especially.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 AM

I just saw this homicide chart the other day. As we can see the Northern Central American region is pretty violent, but El Salvador is on a another level right now. Things have clearly spiraled out of control in that small country.

Homicides per 100.000 people.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
I just saw this homicide chart the other day. As we can see the Northern Central American region is pretty violent, but El Salvador is on a another level right now. Things have clearly spiraled out of control in that small country.

Homicides per 100.000 people.
I listened to a special report on NPR regarding violence in ES- it is truly out of control and heartbreaking.

The report was based more on narratives, actual victims of the gangs that are running around terrorizing people. They kill children and women for the stupidest reasons, then threaten to kill the entire family.

One little girl was killed because she refused to give all of her school utensils to a gang members sister. Then, they threatened the mother telling her she was next. How is anyone supposed to live like this? And these are not isolated incidents, it is widespread.

I would classify these thugs as terrorists.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I listened to a special report on NPR regarding violence in ES- it is truly out of control and heartbreaking.

The report was based more on narratives, actual victims of the gangs that are running around terrorizing people. They kill children and women for the stupidest reasons, then threaten to kill the entire family.

One little girl was killed because she refused to give all of her school utensils to a gang members sister. Then, they threatened the mother telling her she was next. How is anyone supposed to live like this? And these are not isolated incidents, it is widespread.

I would classify these thugs as terrorists.
I have heard similar stories like that. It's is pretty disturbing, and Yes I agree I think certain gangs should be classified as terrorist groups by the US and should be dealt with accordingly.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times
Quote:
There are way more Salvadoreans in LA than Hondurans. There are more Guatemalans in LA than Hondurans. Salvadoreans are by far the largest Central American group in the USA followed by Guatemalans. The only major city where Hondurans and Nicaraguans vastly out number Salvadoreans is Miami, every where else its not even close.

In NYC there are loads of Hondurans. The Salvadoreans tend to live in the suburbs.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In NYC there are loads of Hondurans. The Salvadoreans tend to live in the suburbs.
From personal experience I met much more Salvadoreans than Hondurans

Old 07-21-2016, 08:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Question: I wonder who is to be blamed for this nearly mess?

Answer: A country north of Mexico.
Bad parenting. When things go bad, the first place one needs to look is in the mirror if fixing things is the goal.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Bad parenting. When things go bad, the first place one needs to look is in the mirror if fixing things is the goal.
I agree but I think the problems of a country are usually related to more than just bad parenting. lol

Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,587 times
Quote:
I agree but I think the problems of a country are usually related to more than just bad parenting. lol
Deflecting all of the blame to outside forces and playing the victim card ensures generations of failure. Lots needs to be done, but it starts with parents being there to raise their children and to instill a sense of values that includes respect for life.

Beyond that, respect for authority and the ability to enforce laws would be a huge boon. Even these points go back to parenting; teaching right from wrong at an early age. You can't enforce laws if the police are more corrupt than the people they should be arresting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas