Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 04:03 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Okay so you are just rubbing it in lol :P!

Hey is that the place that last the flower festival? I read somewhere online that there is a version of that festival that also happens in New York city too.
Yes, in Parque Kennedy. Also, you need to experience Mistura in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 04:04 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I like going to places most people haven't heard of or aren't popular. There is always something surprising and new that few tourists know about and plus I really try to avoid crowds as much as I can
Happy you shared these locations as I seriously have never heard of them. I am the exact opposite. I love noise and busy cities. I am actually pretty scared of isolated places. If you watch any horror movies the craziest people and things always happen in unpopulated areas. If I can't get cell phone reception I am not going there ! I watched enough horror movies and episodes or Survivor and Survivorman to know that situation is just not for me.

Ex

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The Descent (2005)

The Shining (1980)

Childen of the Corn.

House of Wax

In my opinion the moral of all these movies is don't leave the city because the rest of the world in dangerous and scary !

When I was a kid and had to go to Trinidad in the summer I use to be sooooooo bored. The most interesting thing to do on the average day was to sit on the veranda and try and scare lizzards off the walls . When I go to Morocco (at least the part that my family lives in) after 24 hours I am begging to leave. Beautiful place ... painfully boring. So the idea of paying to get taken out to the middle of no where ... seems like an ironic punishment for me. If I go somewhere scenic and unpopulated it needs to be 1/2 a day max or I will totally go nuts.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
Quote:
Happy you shared these locations as I seriously have never heard of them. I am the exact opposite. I love noise and busy cities. I am actually pretty scared of isolated places. If you watch any horror movies the craziest people and things always happen in unpopulated areas. If I can't get cell phone reception I am not going there ! I watched enough horror movies and episodes or Survivor and Survivorman to know that situation is just not for me.

Ex

The Descent (2005)

The Shining (1980)

Childen of the Corn.

House of Wax

In my opinion the moral of all these movies is don't leave the city because the rest of the world in dangerous and scary !

When I was a kid and had to go to Trinidad in the summer I use to be sooooooo bored. The most interesting thing to do on the average day was to sit on the veranda and try and scare lizzards off the walls . When I go to Morocco (at least the part that my family lives in) after 24 hours I am begging to leave. Beautiful place ... painfully boring. So the idea of paying to get taken out to the middle of no where ... seems like an ironic punishment for me. If I go somewhere scenic and unpopulated it needs to be 1/2 a day max or I will totally go nuts.
Yeah we are definitely the opposite. I've found people in small towns and villages to be quite friendly and enjoy shooting the breeze with them. I always imagine there would be far more crazies and weirdos to run into in the cities due to the sheer number of people. It's statistics really. I never get bored when I'm in a small place because I can go hiking in the woods or I can curl up with a good book I don't get people who complain about being bored because I never get bored. There is always something to do if you look hard enough...

Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 PM

Default Lol ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yeah we are definitely the opposite. I've found people in small towns and villages to be quite friendly and enjoy shooting the breeze with them. I always imagine there would be far more crazies and weirdos to run into in the cities due to the sheer number of people. It's statistics really. I never get bored when I'm in a small place because I can go hiking in the woods or I can curl up with a good book I don't get people who complain about being bored because I never get bored. There is always something to do if you look hard enough...
I think the "I bored" line is my thing lol. I usually need to be highly engaged in something or I feel uneasy. Regarding statistic ... you are going to have more risk for a run in with someone who is unsavoury in a city, but at least when they come after you, you will have a better chance of someone coming to help you if you run in to trouble ! If you are in the middle of no where you are doomed. Then again sometimes even if you are in a busy city the people you stumble across can be pretty useless lol.

A freind and me where coming home late from this night club/ bar in London and we lived on this street with like hardly any lighting. Long story short this man was following us and he appears to know where we lived because he ended un hiding behind a tree in front of the place we where living at and waiting for us to walk by (really messed up). When we realized what was happening we got scared and ran back to the main road. We were in our early 20s and there was this lady much older then us at the bus stop and we starting telling her what happen because she was the only person around. Her response .. "Ya this is a really strange neighbourhood. Lots of people going missing or are found murdered around here !" Soon after the same man that had followed us down the street that our place was on and was waiting behind the tree in front of our home walks back out from the street he followed us down. When we shared that this was the man .. her response, "Yeah that guys looks crazy". Then she casually invited us to go with her to this after party she was on her way too ! That lady was pretty useless . After that night we agree to meet up before walking back to the place we were staying at. Lessoned learned from that situation is cheap rent can come at a high cost to personal safety.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:17 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times
Quote:
Ya .. I am sure the weather in Rio de Janeiro or Lima is a lot milder then Toronto or Vancouver at any time of year !
Also can't forget the drinks, I think maracuya sour and caipirinha will beat anything in Canada

Old 06-14-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Ex

The Descent (2005)

The Shining (1980)

Childen of the Corn.

House of Wax

I feel the same way! I actually like the places that are not too touristy, but yet have lots of people, if you get what I mean. Any big city that is not very touristy is amazing. Omg I could just imagine how bored you were, reminds me of my college town where there is nothing to do except go to bars because it's so small. I have no idea how people can survive in these places! I'm a city boy so silence kinda scares me, I would go crazy if I had to spend a week in wilderness in Iowa or Guyana or something like that :x I hope I never have to leave the big city in my life

Old 06-14-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
A mild winter in Rio is like a regular San Diego day- the Sun is out, warm all day, slightly chilly at night, but you can still wear flip flops.
Sounds good! I would love San Diego weather in the middle of winter

Old 06-14-2016, 05:49 PM

Re: San Diego I was planning to do a road trip from Oakland to San Diego (as I could fly in and out with Jet Blue ... my fav US airline), but the exchagen rate sucks so I was waiting for things to resolve a bit first. I have heard a lot of cool things about San Diego. Man I really need to just pick a place and go.... too much talking and not enought action :P! I need to firm up on something this week before I miss out. Colombia, Mexico, California vs Brazil.... this year is going by too fast!!!

Old 06-14-2016, 05:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
My favorite tropical place in the Americas has to be the northeast coast of Brazil. Specifically the area between Fortaleza and Natal. I went a number of years ago and the weather and beaches there are just stunning year round. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a tropical vacation with fabulous beaches but that's a bit off the tourist trail.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:26 PM

Awww I would love to travel all over Brazil. Rio de Janeiro for the beaches, Belo Horizonte for the nature and parks, Sao Paulo for the metropolitan big city feel, the Northeast for acarajé and moqueca, and the North to see the cool trees and birds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas