Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:23 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

I wanted to explore this topic because it has been brought to my attention numerous times over the last 3 months and who better to discuss this topics with them City-Data Forum members.

Apparently Latin America Have the World's Highest Female Murder rates, but "why" is my question.
I was at a Dias De Lose Muretos Event in my city last month which had visual art display depicted this topics and I was reading the stats and it was heart breakings.

Why Does Latin America Have the World's Highest Female Murder Rates?

I think women in countries all over Latin America are trying to take on this battle head on to try and improve the situation ...

28 Powerful Images Of Women Protesting Against Femicide In Latin America | The Huffington Post

5 Countries Where Femicide Is At Its Worst And What We Can Do To Help

For those who only believe when they see stats...

Fast facts: statistics on violence against women and girls

They had some stats on this posted at the event I was at. Trinidad ( where my family is from was on there too) and their stats were not good either... but I expected that and alreday have my opinions on why in regards to that country. I live in Canada and we have a significant problem with murder of Aborignial Females that 100% needs moer attention.

This thread is not about shaming or pointing out problems in one areas of the world with a "we are better than them mentality", but to help understand the problem. As far as I am concerned the entire world still needs improvements in this area.

Any thoughts, opinions, documentary or readings suggetions that might help better explain this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 11:33 AM

This particular name kept on coming up in my search ...

Lucia Perez

Rape of Argentinian girl Lucia Perez prompts 'women's strikes' | The Independent

Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
There is a whole conjuncture that keeps criminality way above the "normal" in Latin America.
The most important in my opinion is the low qualification of the voters and the election of bandits.
But why the question is specific about women?

Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM

Default Why women?

[quote=Mr.Falcon;46267822]There is a whole conjuncture that keeps criminality way above the "normal" in Latin America.
The most important in my opinion is the low qualification of the voters and the election of bandits.
But why the question is specific about women?[/quote]

You raise an amazing point! But I am not sure I know the answer to that question.

The stats I saw and the ones usually addressed in those articles were specificially about women, but I have no stats to compare the rates of murdered men?

Technically speaking I guess if the rates in the same area are comparable for men and women .. the issues is violence in general. I wounder if this issue regards the type of deaths ( ex a result of rape, forced aborbtions or domestic violence)? In all fairness the life of a woman is no more or less important then the life of a man.

Good question... anyone else want to try and answer that?

Old 11-21-2016, 12:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Latin America has the highest murder rates in the world on average...woman or man

Old 11-21-2016, 12:30 PM

Femicide refers specifically to the violent killing of women and is sometimes called gender violence. Femicide can also be lumped in with the broader category of domestic violence. The think the issue is more so that they are killed because they are women ex that is why they are being killed ex violent sex attacks or a husband/boy freind killing his female partner. It is not just a random attack/murder that could happen to anyone. That is the best answer I got. I could not find stats that compared the rates of murder of men and women.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:31 PM

Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Latin America has the highest murder rates in the world on average...woman or man
Very true.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
It is because in Latin American criminal culture affiliation is considered hereditary. Getting rid of your enemy (the husband) isn't enough, you have to wipe out his wife, mistress and offspring as well to end the bloodline. In Europe and North America revenge is taken on the enemy and his affiliates, but the women and children are left alone as far as they aren't getting involved.
This is not because Europeans and North Americans would be morally superior, but because the law enforcement is better (cannot risk unnecessary bodies), the concept of a nuclear family is more flexible, and nobody wants to change the rules and start a vicious cycle of revenge where everybody has to be killed.

When the vicious cycle starts, first you kill the wife and children, then the mistress, then the female cousin, then friends, then random people. Life gets cheap. If I get involved in the Russian mafia and they want me dead, they will kill me, but not my mum, dad, brother and sister. Too many murders in a country where 99% of them gets solved and because the others aren't even involved, so they are irrelevant. If I have some criminal organisation behind me, in retaliation they will come not only for my murderers, but their family and friends to make it "even".

Somebody started this vicious cycle in South America.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:16 PM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Latin America has the higher murder rates of the World, on general terms. I pointed out the reasons why I think is that here: Should violent countries restablish the death penalty? . I also think Africa has a lot of underreporting.

Women in Latin America suffer murder much less than men. Only one of every 10 murdered people is a woman. Still, I know, there are many different kinds of violence that women suffer mostly or exclusively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It is because in Latin American criminal culture affiliation is considered hereditary. Getting rid of your enemy (the husband) isn't enough, you have to wipe out his wife, mistress and offspring as well to end the bloodline. In Europe and North America revenge is taken on the enemy and his affiliates, but the women and children are left alone as far as they aren't getting involved.
This is one of the most stupid things I've read on this forum since I discovered the posts of "". Apart from the fact that there is no such thing as a "Latin American" culture, society, or anything remotely similar, that is just basically not true anywhere in Latin America and I don't know where the "#$"# did you get that.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:20 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
What happened to Lucia is ****ing disgusting, I hope there is a special place in hell reserved for these monsters, but a lot of people are getting killed in Latin America. El Salvador, Honduras, and Venezuela are not leading the world in murders just off the femicide count, it's everybody getting shot and horribly killed. In countries like El Sal and Honduras, they have a very machista society and the poverty doesnt help. From reading accounts of gang members, it seems like a lot of them grew up with violent fathers or got bullied in school. It's very hard to solve this, you need a complete overhaul of the culture of the people. That said, I think rape is not punished harshly enough, I think rapists should have done to them, what they did to the poor girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas