Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
What seems to bother is when the person insists even after being informed.
I've heard a case where the brazilian parents changed their daughter's piano teacher because after they said her twice that they did not want her to speak Spanish to their doughther, she insisted on continuing.
This does tend to happen here in the US, unless there is a large Brazilian community in the area. If there is most people know they speak Portuguese.

There are ignorant people in every country and culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
"monolithic" white people tend to be more adventurous and travel more with less prejudice.

Let me rephrase this. They travel with an implicit confidence that their "whiteness" will protect them from the worst things that can happen. Blacks and other non whites don't quite feel so confident so will be more concerned about "petty" things like whether they can expect law and order in a specific destination.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:54 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Let me rephrase this. They travel with an implicit confidence that their "whiteness" will protect them from the worst things that can happen. Blacks and other non whites don't quite feel so confident so will be more concerned about "petty" things like whether they can expect law and order in a specific destination.
Yet another poor excuse from yet another black male. Thankfully those mental shackles are being contested by confident black people that reject such nonsense. White people just like black people are concerned about lawlessness in certain destinations.

I recommend minute 2:52 - 4:00, there is always an "excuse" - yawn.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
I didn't address the OP I addressed another poster hence the quote.

I have a cabin in Nuqui, Choco - wonderful place. Everyone whatever skin colour should check it out. Currently only white tourists go there but then again "monolithic" white people tend to be more adventurous and travel more with less prejudice.
Many monolithic white people accused me of being a cocaine dealer for even going to Colombia. Even if most of the tourists in el choco are white, that doesn't mean the average white american or european has Colombia as their number one vacation.

Many of the white people who do go to Colombia and work there do indeed have safety concerns, in fact they'll tell me what areas to avoid.

Would I go to the sticks or whatever weird place in Colombia? No. When I'm in Latin America, I tend to stick to major cities where heaven forbid if I am sick at least I don't have to go far to go to the doctor. I recall seeing someone on Colombian television who had a medical emergency, and they had to be helicoptered out of the Choco.

I'm from NYC, where hospitals are often within walking distance. It disappoints people from Latin America or the Caribbean sometimes when I mention only wanting to go to the biggest cities and showing no interest in their villages. But this is how I travel all across the world, and being that it is MY MONEY paying for these trips, I'll go where I damn well please and if anyone has a problem with it they can go where the sun don't shine and the moon don't rise.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
White people DO avoid areas if they feel unsafe, and put it like this, the Choco is not the first place a white american goes to when they go to on vacation. They'll go to Europe or East Asia long before they go to Colombia.

Despite having a good time in my travels in Latin America, I definitely did and will continue to avoid some areas because of reasons like personal safety, general interest, concern about diseases, etc. and as I told Pablofuerte it's my MONEY paying for the trip and no, I wouldn't go to the Choco if I were paid.

As a New Yorker I like big cities in general with great transit systems (you won't get that in the sticks of el Choco).

Old 05-19-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Yet another poor excuse from yet another black male. Thankfully those mental shackles are being contested by confident black people that reject such nonsense. White people just like black people are concerned about lawlessness in certain destinations.

I recommend minute 2:52 - 4:00, there is always an "excuse" - yawn.
Why are you obsessed with showing videos of what some Black people have traveled to individually? It's a personal choice where an INDIVIDUAL went, and CaribNY never would have made the response about the preferences of Blacks had you not made snide remarks about my lack of interest going to the Choco. My lack of interest in the Choco has nothing to do with my race, I'm from a city that it's arguably a world capital (NYC) and I can be snooty about graduating from two of the top universities in the states. So why would a person like me be THAT interested in el Choco?

Honestly I'm more interested in Spanish speaking places with lots of culture and the arts. Places with developed economies, things such as theatre, film, and opera scenes, etc. Stuff you find in Spain's big cities, in Mexico City, in Buenos Aires, in Bogota and Medellin, etc. The Choco is the POOREST region of Colombia, a country that is not top 25 by GDP in the world.

By the way, I generally ignore Latinos about Latin America in terms of places I travel to, as I know I like big cities and I know the kinds of things I like in big cities.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 PM

When I was in Bogota, and we spoke about desolate rural areas, I made a comment that some of these areas would probably be 14 hours or so away by bus, and the people I spoke to in La Calendaria said it could even be more than that.

On top of that there are GENUINE safety concerns as well, as depending on where you go as a foreigner you maybe targeted and robbed. Or worse.

The people I know who lived in highland cities didn't consider the Choco desirable or safe, and also thought Cali was rough and this includes some "monolithic" white american expatriates.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:52 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why are you obsessed with showing videos of what some Black people have traveled to individually? It's a personal choice where an INDIVIDUAL went, and CaribNY never would have made the response about the preferences of Blacks had you not made snide remarks about my lack of interest going to the Choco. My lack of interest in the Choco has nothing to do with my race, I'm from a city that it's arguably a world capital (NYC) and I can be snooty about graduating from two of the top universities in the states. So why would a person like me be THAT interested in el Choco?
Why are you taking my comment as if I was criticising you specifically in not going to Choco. It's fine, you prefer big cities with mass transit point taken. I was born and bred in as much of a world city as you were with world class public transit. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy going to isolated places close to nature and away from civilization (even though you can still get a phone signal and internet) but that's me and there are plenty of people like me. You're you and there are plenty people like you.

My argument is that surely there are black people like me and others that enjoy nature and really getting away from it all. However, despite me buying a cabin in Choco and having gone there several times I have not seen one foreign black tourist, just white tourists. The fact that they went to Europe or Asia first before going to Colombia is irrelevant, they're there now. Obviously not all white people are travellers but it does seem that all travellers are white especially in these far flung regions in Choco, Asia and Africa.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Yet another poor excuse from yet another black male. .]
So it turns out that "monollthic" whites aren't the only adventurous ones after all. YOU were the one who said so. Are you ready to withdraw this assertion, or are you just too busy confusing yourself?

Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
.By the way, I generally ignore Latinos about Latin America in terms of places I travel to, as I know I like big cities and I know the kinds of things I like in big cities.
Just ask him if the average Colombian has any interest in Choco. Or if you told them that this is where you were headed whether they wouldn't try to put you in a mental asylum to save you from your obvious lunacy.

Colombia has (or had) the largest population of internally displaced people in the America, a good number fleeing the various paramilitary groups who tramp all over Choco.

So why should you go unless your goals were humanitarian instead of mere leisure? Given that eco tourism doesn't seem to interest you what is there to offset the clear risk and discomfort of venturing there? Or having to explain to Colombians who would be very concerned about your safety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas