Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,847,702 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/user/HoboTraveler/videos Check him out he has all the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:13 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,739,375 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A talented artist could get an artist visa. So he doesn't necessarily have to be in STEM. Or if he was going to work for a NGO.
Before we go assuming this person is a rocket scientist or the next Katy Perry ... what exactly are they so great at? 100k is a good salary ... but not one that suggests this person is a rocekt scientist or in a profession that is so skilled that every country in the world is begging to have them.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:38 AM

4,098 posts, read 3,740,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
https://www.youtube.com/user/HoboTraveler/videos Check him out he has all the answers.
He really doesn't. He's a traveller sort not a professional with a high income oversees position.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,714,514 times
Yeah it'd be cool to work in SA for sure. I'd love to give it a try. Wouldn't wanna move there perm, but just to have that experience for a few years would be dope.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
He really doesn't. He's a traveller sort not a professional with a high income oversees position.
Exactly! The thread creator said good paying ... he did not ask about any job or we could have easily suggested being a street performer, a youtuber or selling seashells by the seashore.

Good paying jobs are not exactly just sitting around in surplus anywhere. They are usually hard to get.

If this person is under 25 ( there are student work travel visa sometimes). I did something like that to get my VISA to work in the UK. It was a 2 year visa.... but I only said for 5-6 months because I wanted to go back home to finish university. With multiples degrees and a 100k salary not likely he/she is under 25.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:09 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,347,961 times
I'm looking to find jobs here now, if not in my career then at least teaching English. In the US looking for jobs as a graduate is scary, everyone expects you to have like 3-4 years of experience and damn near perfect grades, it's frustrating. My family is also not American, we don't have a long string of familiars and contacts that could help me out. So this is why Im here, funnily enough I ran into people here with a lot more connections than I ever did in the US lol

Old 06-14-2017, 02:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,251,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
but I find it really unlikely you are going to make 100k USA teaching. Not even likely if teaching as a University Professor unless you are a world class brain surgeon or a comparably skilled in something.
Even university professors are paid low in Latin America. If you can even get hired at one, as a foreigner, equally unlikely. But, ballpark range, maybe US$15,000-20,000 for university professors teaching English. Maybe even less. It definitely will be nowhere near the 100,000 range.

There is a university in Barranquila Colombia that frequently hires English Teachers, you won't need a PhD, but you will need a MA in Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, English, or Education.

But, I think it's around $18K-$28K range, and is one of the few that hires North Americans, and it's one of the higher ranges I've seen for University teaching jobs in South America.

Basically if someone wants to be paid an extremely high salary to live in Latin America...teaching is not the way to go.

You can also do the Language Teaching at institutes. I did that in Sao Paulo years ago, I made about US$600/month...1997-1998. Maybe US$9,000/year. It's probably a little higher now, but nowhere near 100K.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Tbf, making $10,000 in a country like Ecuador or Colombia is going to lead to a much better quality of life than making $20,000 in the US. Something like 800 a month in many places in Latin America is enough to live in a nice middle class neighborhood and still have enough money to eat out regularly. In New York or San Francisco, that will cover about half your rent in a crappy neighborhood

Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Tbf, making $10,000 in a country like Ecuador or Colombia is going to lead to a much better quality of life than making $20,000 in the US. Something like 800 a month in many places in Latin America is enough to live in a nice middle class neighborhood and still have enough money to eat out regularly. In New York or San Francisco, that will cover about half your rent in a crappy neighborhood

This all depends on what you want.
I am sure nice homes are cheaper then in the USA....
but a nice car and nice things cost more.

When shopping anywhere in Centre, South America or the Caribbean I am always annoyed at how much more higher end items are. They cost more then they do in Canada and the USA by far.

So if you are talking about basic living I get it... but if you want higher end consumer goods it is not that affordable. Also you are at a higher risk for getting stuck there. For example in Toronto I house prices in my city went really really high over a short amound of time ex doubled or a bit more then doubled in less then 10 years. I sell my house here to go live somewhere else where I will get paid less it will be almost impossible to afford to buy back a house if I choose to come back in the future in the city and surrounding areas.

You are also less likely going to be able to afford to travel outside internationally.

Being poors or broke sucks everywhere.... but it REALLY REALLY sucks and is way more dangerous in a developing country.

Everywhere is a lot more fun when you are walking in with your pockets full of money.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
This all depends on what you want.
I am sure nice homes are cheaper then in the USA....
but a nice car and nice things cost more.

When shopping anywhere in Centre, South America or the Caribbean I am always annoyed at how much more higher end items are. They cost more then they do in Canada and the USA by far.

So if you are talking about basic living I get it... but if you want higher end consumer goods it is not that affordable. Also you are at a higher risk for getting stuck there. For example in Toronto I house prices in my city went really really high over a short amound of time ex doubled or a bit more then doubled in less then 10 years. I sell my house here to go live somewhere else where I will get paid less it will be almost impossible to afford to buy back a house if I choose to come back in the future in the city and surrounding areas.

You are also less likely going to be able to afford to travel outside internationally.

Being poors or broke sucks everywhere.... but it REALLY REALLY sucks and is way more dangerous in a developing country.

Everywhere is a lot more fun when you are walking in with your pockets full of money.
True, it's better being dirt poor in Canada or the US as opposed to Peru or Colombia. But being healthy middle class in Latin America is better than being struggling lower middle class in the states. For 300 dollars a month you can live in a nice middle class area in many parts of Latin America, in the states for that price you will have to move either wayyyyy out into the boonies, or live in a neighborhood with common gunshots and people trying to sell you blow on every corner. And of course you can forget about eating out with that sort of money in the US

I actually think being upper class in the US is better than anywhere else. Recoleta, Miraflores, Las Condes, Poblado, etc, they are nice areas, but they don't compare with living in a penthouse next to Central Park or having a massive mansion in Santa Monica. And as you said, high end items are much more expensive than in the US. If I had infinite money, hell, I would love to live in the US too. Sadly most people are middle class, and the middle class is getting more and more squeezed each year in US and Western Europe, whereas in Latin America the middle class is growing more than ever. US also has an insane work-life balance, and a working environment which is very harsh for recent graduates. And in other West Europe countries its worse! I believe something like half of Spain's youth is unemployed, Christ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas