Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:50 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
I hate kisses on the cheek.
I know right? Get a mouthful of makeup powder. Yuk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 10:25 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Southern Cone is just a geographical term without any cultural, social, political or economical meaning. It's all in your heda.
Not really, there is I guess a bit more of a "European" cultural thing with people from the Southern Cone. Probably due to the more recent European migration to that area. It isn't a vast difference but I've noticed some. More so with Argentina and Uruguay. Even if there is not a term meant to convey anything cultural, I was still trying to imply that the region has the most "Euro" influence of LatAM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cone

Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,446,085 times
Quote:
Southern Cone is just a geographical term without any cultural, social, political or economical meaning. It's all in your heda.
The Southern Cone countries of Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay are predominately white meanwhile the rest of Latin America is more mixed. That alone is already a difference.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
The Southern Cone countries of Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay are predominately white meanwhile the rest of Latin America is more mixed. That alone is already a difference.
Exactly, with Argentina having the most, Uruguay second and Chile being split almost 60/40 (white/non-white-mixed). And many of those white having cultural ties to Europe as recent as a few generations.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:16 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Not at all, Chile is no more white than Paraguay, Venezuela, Costa Rica or Colombia. Maybe you are thinking of the Río de la Plata area. Chile, the north and other parts of Argentina are very mixed.

I'd say Paraguay is more white than Chile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Exactly, with Argentina having the most, Uruguay second and Chile being split almost 60/40 (white/non-white-mixed). And many of those white having cultural ties to Europe as recent as a few generations.
Much more people in Venezuela have "cultural ties to Europe as recent as a few generations" than in Chile. Chile didn't receive Italian and other European migration en masse. Venezuela did. Costa Rica did too. And other areas of Latin America.

There's a cultural area in the Río de la Plata region in Argentina and Uruguay (you could add South Brazil, but there's the language barrier which makes that impossible). Outside of that area is just different culturally, ethnically and socially speaking.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Not at all, Chile is no more white than Paraguay, Venezuela, Costa Rica or Colombia. Maybe you are thinking of the Río de la Plata area. Chile, the north and other parts of Argentina are very mixed.

I'd say Paraguay is more white than Chile.

Much more people in Venezuela have "cultural ties to Europe as recent as a few generations" than in Chile. Chile didn't receive Italian and other European migration en masse. Venezuela did. Costa Rica did too. And other areas of Latin America.
Chile no more white than Paraguay? What planet are you living in? Costa Rica, yes. Colombia and Venezuela, sorry buddy but no. Most stats put Chile at 53% white European ancestry, 38% mestizo and the rest Amerindian. And its about what is clarified as Mestizo too, because a lot of Chileans are more Castizo in appearance. The average Chilean I thought looked more like Italian American actor Joe Lo Truglio. They looked "mixed" but more so to a Castizo than a Mestizo.

So while I agree that Chile is not as white as Argentina or Uruguay. And I hate it when Chileans overstate their "whiteness", their country is still more "white" and European than any of the nations you listed outside of Costa Rica.

Sorry, but this just reeks of more insecurities towards the nations of the Southern Cone by northern countries. There is a vastly more extensive network of European immigrants in this region that have immigrated and continue to immigrate to them. Chile, Argentina and Uruguay have the most European influence and history of recent immigration. 5% of the population of Chile, alone, is made up of Anglo-German descent. And they compromise most of the top spots in the upper echelons of their society.

Not to downplay Venezuela's immigration from Europe at all, it's there and extensive but to compare it to any of the Southern Cone nations is laughable.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:16 PM

345 posts, read 268,763 times
They tend to be nuts

Old 06-24-2017, 01:23 PM

LOL, yeah I heard that too.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:13 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,174 times
This thread is a mess… as most world forum threads that compare countries, it somewhat ends up with useless racial discussions…

The thread title is misleading; maybe the OP is misled too. It’s all about cultural traits, not personality traits. Argentina, as everywhere in the world, has greeting customs, and such customs are more or less extensive to a certain type of behavior, which may be evaluated as personality traits by outsiders.

And yes, due to their greeting customs, Argentinians tend to kiss and touch to each other “a lot”, or as the OP says, show more signs of affection. In fact, I guess we probably go beyond than the rest of Latin Americans.

Women always greet to each other with a kiss on the cheek. A man and a woman will do the same in the 99.9% of the cases. Two male friends and relatives will do it in most cases; even two male acquaintances will do it often. I myself greet my boss (who is 25 years older than me) with a kiss on the cheek. This will always depend on how close the relationship is and how both people are. Then you have the hugs… if two friends of different genders meet after a while, it’s likely the kiss will be accompanied with a strong hug. This will also be the case for two men, etc.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Chile no more white than Paraguay? What planet are you living in? Costa Rica, yes. Colombia and Venezuela, sorry buddy but no.
sorry but yes. genetically speaking Colombia is whiter than Chile. There are many studies backing this up.

Source: Admixture in Latin America: Geographic Structure, Phenotypic Diversity and Self-Perception of Ancestry Based on 7,342 Individuals

Source: Racial Ancestry in the Americas. Part 1: National Genomic Racial Admixture: Estimates and Validation | Human Varieties

Quote:
Most stats put Chile at 53% white European ancestry, 38% mestizo and the rest Amerindian. And its about what is clarified as Mestizo too, because a lot of Chileans are more Castizo in appearance. The average Chilean I thought looked more like Italian American actor Joe Lo Truglio. They looked "mixed" but more so to a Castizo than a Mestizo.
I don't know where did you get these percentages from. At first I thought it was from the Chilean national census, but then I remembered that census doesn't categorize Mestizos separately from Whites. It seems you took it from Latinobarómetro survey (self report) but, as you said yourself, Chile is the country with the hugest gap between Whiteness perception and actual ("genetic") Whiteness.
Quote:
Sorry, but this just reeks of more insecurities towards the nations of the Southern Cone by northern countries.
You are projecting your own insecurities. It's very obvious you either have never been to Chile or you are some sort of Chilean teenager (from your nickname I can assume your age is 17-18 years old) with white supremacy ravings. I don't know why you commit so much in all threads on this Southern Cone whiteness thing and trying to equal Chile to Argentina, despite of being proven wrong over and over. In one thread you raved about the Italian heritage of Chileans (anyone that knows about Latin America knows that it's not true and that is very difficult to find Chileans with Italian surnames); in some other thread you spoke about "Southern Cone" accent, completely ignoring that Chilean accent is totally sui generis and that there are even memes about the subject.

Quote:
There is a vastly more extensive network of European immigrants in this region that have immigrated and continue to immigrate to them. Chile, Argentina and Uruguay have the most European influence and history of recent immigration.
Most of the immigration to these countries today and in the past decades has come from neigbhboring or Latin American countries. Very few Europeans actually immigrate to these countries, the exception being perhaps the Spaniards in Argentina.

Quote:
5% of the population of Chile, alone, is made up of Anglo-German descent.
Source? I couldn't find any study confirming such claim.

Quote:
Not to downplay Venezuela's immigration from Europe at all, it's there and extensive but to compare it to any of the Southern Cone nations is laughable.
Venezuela received 1 million European immigrants in just one decade, between 1948 and 61, mainly Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. Take into account that Venezuela was one of the wealthiest countries of the World. Chile was just as poor as any other Latin American country, up until the 90s, when the country took off. During the XX century Chile didn't receive more than 100 or 200 thousand European immigrants.

Venezuela has the biggest Spanish community outside of Spain, along with Argentina. It has the biggest Portuguese community outside of Portugal, after Brazil.

According to Venezuela's 2011 census, there were over 150.000 people born in Italy, Spain or Portugal in the country. According to Chile's 2012 census, the only European country with over 10.000 people living in Chile is Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas