Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:15 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
For some reason, it seems like only Brazil gets recognition for its black presence in the mainland Latin American region(outside of the Caribbean). Whenever people talk about the black/African presence in Latin America, Brazil is practically the only nation that gets brought up.

I've seen people claim that only That hasn't only been my experience in social media but also in real life as well, even regarding discussions I've had with Hispanic Americans.

It seems that Central and South American receive tons of recognition for their mestizo, white, and Amerindian populations but the Afro-Latino populations in the region is either ignored or presumed to be borderline non-existent outside of Brazil.

Colombia is up to 15% black(which is actually a higher percentage than Brazil) but I've seen people(including Hispanics) show genuine shock that the black people was that large in Colombia. It also seems like the Afro-Latino population is practically invisible in Ecuador(despite being 8% of the population) as well as Nicaragua(despite being 10% of the population).

I have an Afro-Panamanian friend who has a theory that this is mainly due to the fact that blacks are more integrated with the general population in Brazil whereas Afro-Latinos in other countries are more segregated into coastal areas away from the general populace.

I think that's a plausible theory. What do you think?
I am not expert on this topic, but honestly I never thought that their were significant black populations anywhere in Centeral or South America other then Brazil. It is likely more because in Toronto I had never met anyone from Centeral or South American that was black. Also strangely enoughly it is only over the last 5 years I had even met someone from Guyana in Toronto that was black. I knew lots of Indo-Guynese people, but never any Black Guynese people. I wonder if they get absorbed in to other groups ex once outside of their country they might tend to associate more with other blacks from the Caribbean rather then Central or South America? Not sure what the deal is with that.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:35 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am not expert on this topic, but honestly I never thought that their were significant black populations anywhere in Centeral or South America other then Brazil. It is likely more because in Toronto I had never met anyone from Centeral or South American that was black. Also strangely enoughly it is only over the last 5 years I had even met someone from Guyana in Toronto that was black. I knew lots of Indo-Guynese people, but never any Black Guynese people. I wonder if they get absorbed in to other groups ex once outside of their country they might tend to associate more with other blacks from the Caribbean rather then Central or South America? Not sure what the deal is with that.
The answer is simple. How many black people did you see when in Bogota? My guess is a handful.

Now how many Cartageneros do you know in Canada? My guess is probably close to none. People from Cartagena don't really migrate outside of Colombia, Venezuela or Panama. However, my guess is you saw a lot more black people in Cartagena than Bogota, right?

In Canada my guess is that most migrants are from the coffee region or maybe Cali and Medellin with some students from Bogota, same as here in the UK. As I keep trying to relay and I know people have a hard time computing this, Colombia is very regional and each region has its own ethnic make-up and culture. You will not see many Afro-Colombian people if they aren't migrating to your country from their specific regions.

In Chile it's the opposite, for example they think all Colombians are black and that mestizo and white Colombians are less in number than they actually are. This is because Chile is the preferred destination for Pacific coast people to migrate to. Again, Colombia is like a bunch of different countries in one.

As for black Guyanese associating with English speaking island nations, I think this is to be expected.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 07-10-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 03:50 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
The answer is simple. How many black people did you see when in Bogota? My guess is a handful.

Now how many Cartageneros do you know in Canada? My guess is probably close to none. People from Cartagena don't really migrate outside of Colombia, Venezuela or Panama. However, my guess is you saw a lot more black people in Cartagena than Bogota, right?

In Canada my guess is that most migrants are from the coffee region or maybe Cali and Medellin with some students from Bogota, same as here in the UK. As I keep trying to relay and I know people have a hard time computing this, Colombia is very regional and each region has its own ethnic make-up and culture. You will not see many Afro-Colombian people if they aren't migrating to your country from their specific regions.

In Chile it's the opposite, for example they think all Colombians are black and that mestizo and white Colombians are less in number than they actually are. This is because Chile is the preferred destination for Pacific coast people to migrate to. Again, Colombia is like a bunch of different countries in one.

As for black Guyanese associating with English speaking island nations, I think this is to be expected.
I get what you are saying and I do not disagree with it.

Regarding the black Guyanese people I question if like every other black person from the English Caribbean if people just assume they are Jamaican. I don't know if it is the amazing commercials for vacationing in Jamaican, how delicious and popular those beef patties are or a global love of Bob Marley, but when you have accent that is from the English speaking Caribbean or say you are from the Caribbean people in Toronto just assume you are Jamaican lol! In fact prior to the influx of black people in Toronto from places in Africa like Somolia in general if someone was black they would often just assume they were Jamaican lol. Mmmm I feel like eating a beef patty now lol. So I seriously wonder is most black people from anywhere in the 80 and 90 just became considered Jamaican by default.

Bogota gets hot and there are no beaches ... just seems cruel so I get the desire to leave. In Cartagena you got sun and you got sand... why rush to leave ?

Old 07-10-2017, 09:21 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Often black people in Latin America are limited to certain states or areas and do not interact much with the rest of the population. Peru for example has approximately 1.2 million black citizens, but if you walk around in any major city in Peru it is certainly not going to feel like it. Colombia/Ecuador have a very big black population, but most of it is limited to the Pacific Coast and some parts of the Caribbean Coast. If you live in Quito or somewhere in the Colombian countryside you might go years without seeing a single black person. While the population is there, it is very segmented. Whereas in Brazil it is a lot more mixed

Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

In New York indeed most Colombian immigrants are from Cali/Medellin/Cafe Region. So most of them look very mestizo, maybe a bit on the whiter side. In Chile the Colombians come from all sides so you have both black and white Colombians there. Ecuadorians in NYC tend to be very very indigenous, typically from the Andean regions, or mestizos from Guayaquil

Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
She's very pretty! They should have models like her for Dominican Republic but I don't think they will ever do that. I was looking at pictures of Dominican models and they usually choose the tan skin tone ladies or white. They should represent the black Latin Americans as well, not disregard them. Sadly some people would rather feel more proud to say that they are Taino than black. Hopefully in the near future they will find models who resemble more of the locals so that way the younger generation will have someone they can look up to instead of feel as if they aren't good enough or looked down on.

This is a video I found that shows what the beauty standerds of Dominican Republic was like through out the decades. I think her 2016 look fit her best because she rocked out her natural hair instead of hiding it. I have known some ladies would be encouraged to hide their natural hair by their families believing that it's unattractive.
Some of the comments I read about the video people were angry about it. It wouldn't make sense to put a white model because DR doesn't have that many white Latin Americans so I think they did a good thing by choosing a model that looks more like a local lady.
I mean in a way I can understand if they wanted to have different models that would represent all backgrounds in DR but knowing how some people would react I'm pretty sure they would favor the white or light tan ones so I think they did a good job for the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rVCHJ9Er5s4
Love this video. Not really sure how reflective it is of how the average women in that place and time wore their hair vs how the average woman wanted to wear their hair. Black women typically shell out a lot more money to maintain their hair. Those nice hair styles take lots of effort and hair maintenance. One of my best friends is black and when living together I observed the loads of extra steps taken to achieve those types of hair styles ex perms, weaves, extensions, loads of pricey hair products and sleep big with curlers or scarfs on. Lots of work.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:20 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Love this video. Not really sure how reflective it is of how the average women in that place and time wore their hair vs how the average woman wanted to wear their hair. Black women typically shell out a lot more money to maintain their hair. Those nice hair styles take lots of effort and hair maintenance. One of my best friends is black and when living together I observed the loads of extra steps taken to achieve those types of hair styles ex perms, weaves, extensions, loads of pricey hair products and sleep big with curlers or scarfs on. Lots of work.
Yea, super cute video.

Actually, the video girl's hairstyles are easier and don't require as much work as your best friend's hairstyles.

I am natural, have never worn a weave/wig, only braided with extensions once, use standard hair products, etc. Used to relax but didn't pay for it. I may go to a salon once ever 3-4 months for a trim. When my hair was that length, I could achieve styles similar to those in the video without as much work.

My mother is even more low maintenance and has been natural virtually all of my life. Rarely goes to a salon. Same with close friends, generally-speaking.

Many women of other backgrounds spend way more money and time to maintain their hair...cuts, coloring, blowdrying/flatironing, etc.

It just depends on taste these days. But again, those hairstyles in the video are more simple.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 07-11-2017 at 03:35 AM..

Old 07-11-2017, 07:40 AM

399 posts, read 820,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarbonell View Post

If you see countries like Cuba or Brazil getting more recognition for their black population is because they allow black people in their media. Cuba has a lot of black actors, and musicians, the same goes with Brazil. Black people in Colombia has also pushed for years to promote their African roots and to have a place in the media. Still, I remember watching Colombia soap operas as a kid and I don't remember a single black actor.
Is it really common for Brazilians to see black people in the media ?

I've never been to Brazil but my mom likes telenovelas and I rarely see black actors. It seems to be predominately white with a few mulattos/pardos. I don't know if it's because the country is so mixed but compared to the huge number of Africans enslaved they received I would expect more visibilities for Afro-Brazilians.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:50 AM

990 posts, read 881,658 times
In fact most foreigner think that Brazil is a black country.
Nobody abroad expect of white Brazilian or Asian Brazilian be Brazilians.
In USA, Europe or Asia I think it is normal but also in Latin American places as Punta Cana and Cancun when I being there with friends it was normal staff people start conversation with us in English and they stand surprised when we started to talk in Portuguese

Old 07-11-2017, 09:27 AM

990 posts, read 881,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Is it really common for Brazilians to see black people in the media ?

I've never been to Brazil but my mom likes telenovelas and I rarely see black actors. It seems to be predominately white with a few mulattos/pardos. I don't know if it's because the country is so mixed but compared to the huge number of Africans enslaved they received I would expect more visibilities for Afro-Brazilians.
Blacks, mulattos and dark skinned are a minority of 15% or 20% in the average of Brazilian population and they only are majority and are concentrated in Bahia or northwest coast. In Rio de Janeiro also has a huge number of blacks 20% I think so.

50% of Brazilian are whites and 30% are mixed predominantly white so I think movies and Brazilians soap operas reflect exactly this.

When you see whites Brazilians in the media is exactly the kind of average white Brazilian mostly Iberians and Italians and few Germans. The movies are not full of blond and blue eyed people like the country was Sweden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas