Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,547,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Typical of militants. It's easy to run one's mouth, but when it's time to do something they've got better things to do.

Interesting person. Is the NAACP now a black militant organization? They comment frequently on casting.

Is Naomi Campbell a black militant when she advocates for dark skinned women to be selected as models?

Do you suggest that you should remain silent in the face of racism in the USA where it is you who become the victim of it? I will draw attention to how vocal you are about racism in the USA on other forums.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Interesting person. Is the NAACP now a black militant organization? They comment frequently on casting.

Is Naomi Campbell a black militant when she advocates for dark skinned women to be selected as models?

Do you suggest that you should remain silent in the face of racism in the USA where it is you who become the victim of it? I will draw attention to how vocal you are about racism in the USA on other forums.
But what is the NAACP doing about it besides commenting? Are they fundraising to produce films? Are they trying to raise funds to send more people of color to film and drama school?

Again people can shout and scream, but when it's time to do anything constructive they've got better things to do.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:18 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,646,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I think the issue is a lot of Afro-Latinos do not consider themselves "black" , if these same people were in Haiti, Jamaica or
the U.S. many might be considered "black" or identify as "black". So if they don't consider themselves "black" then blacks are
"invisible".
Agreed. This is the cold reality. I am Native American. I know the history of Colonial Spain is harsh from the 1500s to 1900s. The Latin American countries of Central and South America generally have a "casta" or caste system based on degree of European blood and appearance.

The vast majority of Brazilians are part West African. About 85% have at least 12% West African ancestry. However, the majority of Brazilians do not identify as "Black". The "casta" is a form of social pressure to deny West African ancestry. So the "casta" makes it seem like either there are no "Blacks" or just a small percentage. Realistically, a DNA analysis would (and has) reveal a far wider, broader presence of the West African genome in many of these Central and South American countries.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/humaniti...panish-america

I first learned of the West African genome in Latin America while studying the history of Colonial Spain. In rural Arizona, I went to HS that was about 1/3 Mexican American. In HS football games, it was rare to see African Americans except with a couple of HS near Phoenix. In those games, the Mexican teens were often brutally racist and would excessively use the "N" word (along with the white teens) before these games with African Americans. I recall the raw intensity while sitting in that bus load of bigoted teens of rural AZ. The racism was blatant - this is why I often have mixed feelings about "80s" nostalgia. I know what it was really like - racism was more prevalent.

But not to digress, the historical reality is that many modern Mexicans are actually part West African. The history of Mexico is such that most of the indigenous population was killed off or decimated by diseases such as smallpox. In one of the first "battles" between the Aztec Empire and the Spanish "Conquistadors" the Aztecs actually won. But the Spanish expedition had an African slave infected with smallpox who was left behind. That literally killed off most of the Aztecs in that area - millions of people. The popular image in Spanish culture is of the brave, stronger, genetically superior Spanish conquistador in a suite of armor killing dozens of indigenous warriors alone. But realistically, many of the warriors were sickened badly by Old World disease like smallpox.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...lpox_in_Mexico

The remnants of indigenous populations were often forced into slavery, but the populations were so widely destroyed that the Spaniards decided to import West African slaves into ports like Vera Cruz. The population of West Africans was so large that they outnumbered the Spanish colonists - mostly men. Needless to say, intermixing was common, and the Spaniards typically had children with the African women. Over hundreds of years, the African population "blended" in with the rest of the Mexican population. Today, due to the "casta" I have never met a Mexican who is willing to admit being part West African. But genetically, the West African genome is present in Mexico very widely. The same occurs in Central and South America for many countries.
African Roots Stretch Deep Into Mexico : Mexico History

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblo...caste-system/#

Ironically, the racial tension I noted persists. Modern Los Angeles has a gang war between Mexicans and African gangs. I know many Mexicans from HS who would be furious to see that the young and beautiful Selena Gomez has a black boyfriend from Ethiopia. But historically, she is probably already part West African due to the complicated history of Mexico. Ethiopia was also part of the Roman Empire - hence many are Roman Catholic dating back to that time.

The Spanish Army relentlessly destroyed many indigenous tribes for hundreds of years but were driven out of Texas by Comanches and Kiowas. The popular belief is that the defeat of General Santa Ana of Mexico drove Mexicans out of Texas. But his battles were located in South Texas. In North and Central Texas the Mexican Army had already been driven out by Comanches and Kiowas or Prarie Apaches. But as with the Aztecs, smallpox destroyed most of the Comanches by 1850 by about 90% including some members of the chief's family, Quanah Parker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanc...%93Mexico_Wars

The Navajos and Apache also drove them out of the Four Corners Region. The Mexican-Apache War lasted for hundreds of years. Mexico had a slave trade on Apaches into the early 1900s. The war was fierce. At times, the Mexican government imposed a scalp bounty system to promote genocide of indigenous populations. Ironically, modern Hollywood films often show indigenous groups as the "savages who scalp white people". But in real life, the Spanish government officially gave out pesos for indigenous scalps in a bounty system.
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/hn.../oldfolks.html

I doubt you would find many Latin Americans who would willingly admit being part West African even in the face of DNA evidence.

Last edited by grad_student200; 08-12-2017 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Agreed. This is the cold reality. I am Native American. I know the history of Colonial Spain is harsh from the 1500s to 1900s. The Latin American countries of Central and South America generally have a "casta" or caste system based on degree of European blood and appearance.

The vast majority of Brazilians are part West African. About 85% have at least 12% West African ancestry. However, the majority of Brazilians do not identify as "Black". The "casta" is a form of social pressure to deny West African ancestry. So the "casta" makes it seem like either there are no "Blacks" or just a small percentage. Realistically, a DNA analysis would (and has) reveal a far wider, broader presence of the West African genome in many of these Central and South American countries.
Caste and Class Structure in Colonial Spanish America - Dictionary definition of Caste and Class Structure in Colonial Spanish America | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary

I first learned of the West African genome in Latin America while studying the history of Colonial Spain. In rural Arizona, I went to HS that was about 1/3 Mexican American. In HS football games, it was rare to see African Americans except with a couple of HS near Phoenix. In those games, the Mexican teens were often brutally racist and would excessively use the "N" word (along with the white teens) before these games with African Americans. I recall the raw intensity while sitting in that bus load of bigoted teens of rural AZ. The racism was blatant - this is why I often have mixed feelings about "80s" nostalgia. I know what it was really like - racism was more prevalent.

But not to digress, the historical reality is that many modern Mexicans are actually part West African. The history of Mexico is such that most of the indigenous population was killed off or decimated by diseases such as smallpox. In one of the first "battles" between the Aztec Empire and the Spanish "Conquistadors" the Aztecs actually won. But the Spanish expedition had an African slave infected with smallpox who was left behind. That literally killed off most of the Aztecs in that area - millions of people. The popular image in Spanish culture is of the brave, stronger, genetically superior Spanish conquistador in a suite of armor killing dozens of indigenous warriors alone. But realistically, many of the warriors were sickened badly by Old World disease like smallpox.

The remnants of indigenous populations were often forced into slavery, but the populations were so widely destroyed that the Spaniards decided to import West African slaves into ports like Vera Cruz. The population of West Africans was so large that they outnumbered the Spanish colonists - mostly men. Needless to say, intermixing was common, and the Spaniards typically had children with the African women. Over hundreds of years, the African population "blended" in with the rest of the Mexican population. Today, due to the "casta" I have never met a Mexican who is willing to admit being part West African. But genetically, the West African genome is present in Mexico very widely. The same occurs in Central and South America for many countries.

Ironically, the racial tension I noted persists. Modern Los Angeles has a gang war between Mexicans and African gangs. I know many Mexicans from HS who would be furious to see that the young and beautiful Selena Gomez has a black boyfriend from Ethiopia. But historically, she is probably already part West African due to the complicated history of Mexico. Ethiopia was also part of the Roman Empire - hence many are Roman Catholic dating back to that time.

The Spanish Army relentlessly destroyed many indigenous tribes for hundreds of years but were driven out of Texas by Comanches and Kiowas. The popular belief is that the defeat of General Santa Ana of Mexico drove Mexicans out of Texas. But his battles were located in South Texas. In North and Central Texas the Mexican Army had already been driven out by Comanches and Kiowas or Prarie Apaches. But as with the Aztecs, smallpox destroyed most of the Comanches by 1850 by about 90% including some members of the chief's family, Quanah Parker.

The Navajos and Apache also drove them out of the Four Corners Region. The Mexican-Apache War lasted for hundreds of years. Mexico had a slave trade on Apaches into the early 1900s. The war was fierce. At times, the Mexican government imposed a scalp bounty system to promote genocide of indigenous populations. Ironically, modern Hollywood films often show indigenous groups as the "savages who scalp white people". But in real life, the Spanish government officially gave out pesos for indigenous scalps in a bounty system.
The Scalp Industry

I doubt you would find many Latin Americans who would willingly admit being part West African even in the face of DNA evidence.
I know many Latin Americans who talk about being of African descent. Mexico does not equal all of Latin America. When I was in Paraguay, they called the Black Paraguays Afroamericanos or AfroParaguays. I was in Colombia, and yes you will find a number of outright Black Colombians and people who admit to be mixed race.

In the Dominican Republic, in the museum of rum they mention how Africans were brought to the Dominican Republic to grow the sugarcane.

A number of famous Latin Americans in music, film, and art have proudly declared themsleves of African descent. Celia Cruz, among many others.

I think you have no real experience among Latin Americans other than Southwestern Latinos in the US, and it shows in what you've just said.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:46 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,733,559 times
Quote:
But what is the NAACP doing about it besides commenting? Are they fundraising to produce films? Are they trying to raise funds to send more people of color to film and drama school?

Again people can shout and scream, but when it's time to do anything constructive they've got better things to do.
Here Here.

This is true black empowerment.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:54 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,547,967 times
Quote:

so why don't you lead a fund raising effort then?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
so why don't you lead a fund raising effort then?
I'm not the one claiming to be the ultimate expert in all things Black. You are. It's an useless expertise since you are clearly unable to help or do anything constructive.

I personally am not that interested in being that pro Black.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:44 PM

758 posts, read 1,228,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

Caste and Class Structure in Colonial Spanish America - Dictionary definition of Caste and Class Structure in Colonial Spanish America | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary

The Scalp Industry

....And I suspect the reason some Mexicans might pick-up white racism against blacks is that it conveniently takes the heat off of them from whites who might see them as not being that high on
the social ladder either.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:46 PM

424 posts, read 594,348 times
I hate to say this, but I'm Puerto Rican and I didn't start indetifying myself as "black" until I was very late in my teens. I had to kinda learn it the hard way how brainwashed a lot of the Caribbean is (Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, specifically).

I say that because my dad has a very african heritage and i never knew what that meant specifically. I do know that saying that you're black was either an indication that you were African American or hick.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:06 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,822,405 times
This woman talks about racism in Cuba, which was supposed to have ended when the Castros came to power. I read that the dictator Batista had African ancestry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hf8i0g5VuIM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas