Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 01:32 AM

665 posts, read 613,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
ive been to both and you will need a fair amount of Spanish though you will be surprised how much you pick up as you go along but its best to learn certainly Spanish conversation.Reading is fine for shops etc but you can often see what you want.

The level of English in both countries is reasonably ok,the younger they are the more they can speak.To some extent the higher socio-economic group they are the more they can speak but dont rely totally on that.

I preferred Costa Rica slightly though parts are very touristy.Theft is a problem in the capital San Jose and apparently is getting worse .Costa Ricans like to blame the undocumented Nicaraguan migrants for it. Fact is its not usually them.

Panama City has a lot of modern skyscrapers,even more so this past few years.El Chorillo(the one time home of boxer Roberto Duran) and Calidonia (lots of blacks and creoles) are neighbourhoods which will give you a completely different viewpoint. That said its best not to go to these.

Somebody further up mentioned Colon,there is actually duty free shopping there,but dont wander out of that area,you will be robbed.Colon is among the worst cities for theft on the Americas mainland.

So yes learn plenty of conversational Spanish,take a phrase book as well. You can try English if you get really stuck but apart from tourist areas you might not get a reply in English.dont fret you will be amazed how much Spanish you will pick up.The fun is when they think cos you know a few words they can speak slang back very quickly!!!
Good to know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM

308 posts, read 237,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
How long has it been since the last time you were in Panama? I am Panamanian and things have changed a great deal over the years. Calidonia remains mostly the same, but El Chorrillo and Curundu have changed a lot. Same goes for Colon which is under completely renovation and people don't get robbed as they used to before because they have finally understood that tourists bring development (money) into their pockets.
2011,amazed El Chorillo is any different.I saw it twice from a taxi window and once from a bus.It looked,and apparently was dangerous.If it has got better then thats good for the locals and the city itself.

As for Colon im stunned that all the robbers have finally realised that cruise ships and other tourists are better than trying to rob a few pounds

Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 PM

439 posts, read 521,893 times
Quote:
2011,amazed El Chorillo is any different.I saw it twice from a taxi window and once from a bus.It looked,and apparently was dangerous.If it has got better then thats good for the locals and the city itself.

As for Colon im stunned that all the robbers have finally realised that cruise ships and other tourists are better than trying to rob a few pounds
Well it has changed. Remember it has been 6 years since you last visited it, the city has new buses, a metro system with three lines, a new coastal belt, a new expanded canal and a lot of things that you didn´t get to see. As for Colon, even though I live in Panama City, I am a tourist guide and I have to work at the ports with the cruise ships and believe me, people in Colon take care of the tourists because many of them offer tours all over the city.

Ohhh, I have forgotten to tell you, Calidonia has changed too. the new Mayor of the city removed all those peddlers from the sidewalks making Calidonia look nicer, wider and cleaner.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:42 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
So how well are Afro Panamanians doing? Can we see them in large numbers in the banking and other commercial sectors in high positions. Are they highly visible in the wealthier neighborhoods. Are they very present in the media (aside from being portrayed as criminals or impoverished people)?

Old 10-15-2017, 07:59 PM

665 posts, read 613,260 times
Quote:
Well it has changed. Remember it has been 6 years since you last visited it, the city has new buses, a metro system with three lines, a new coastal belt, a new expanded canal and a lot of things that you didn´t get to see. As for Colon, even though I live in Panama City, I am a tourist guide and I have to work at the ports with the cruise ships and believe me, people in Colon take care of the tourists because many of them offer tours all over the city.

Ohhh, I have forgotten to tell you, Calidonia has changed too. the new Mayor of the city removed all those peddlers from the sidewalks making Calidonia look nicer, wider and cleaner.
Folicure, that's good to hear about these areas improving. When I spoke to ppl who were from Panama and visited Colon, they always talked about how bad conditions in Colon were when they visited. Unfortunately, I was not able to go down there when they went.

Last edited by Peasy973; 10-15-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 PM

439 posts, read 521,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So how well are Afro Panamanians doing? Can we see them in large numbers in the banking and other commercial sectors in high positions. Are they highly visible in the wealthier neighborhoods. Are they very present in the media (aside from being portrayed as criminals or impoverished people)?
They are everywhere. We don´t have those nasty discrimination problems here. If you work hard and can better yourself, hey, by all means do it.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:55 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
ive been to both and you will need a fair amount of Spanish though you will be surprised how much you pick up as you go along but its best to learn certainly Spanish conversation.Reading is fine for shops etc but you can often see what you want.

The level of English in both countries is reasonably ok,the younger they are the more they can speak.To some extent the higher socio-economic group they are the more they can speak but dont rely totally on that.

I preferred Costa Rica slightly though parts are very touristy.Theft is a problem in the capital San Jose and apparently is getting worse .Costa Ricans like to blame the undocumented Nicaraguan migrants for it. Fact is its not usually them.

Panama City has a lot of modern skyscrapers,even more so this past few years.El Chorillo(the one time home of boxer Roberto Duran) and Calidonia (lots of blacks and creoles) are neighbourhoods which will give you a completely different viewpoint. That said its best not to go to these.

Somebody further up mentioned Colon,there is actually duty free shopping there,but dont wander out of that area,you will be robbed.Colon is among the worst cities for theft on the Americas mainland.

So yes learn plenty of conversational Spanish,take a phrase book as well. You can try English if you get really stuck but apart from tourist areas you might not get a reply in English.dont fret you will be amazed how much Spanish you will pick up.The fun is when they think cos you know a few words they can speak slang back very quickly!!!
Panama City remind me of Miami, FL

Old 10-25-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
They are everywhere. We don´t have those nasty discrimination problems here. If you work hard and can better yourself, hey, by all means do it.
Interesting I hear otherwise. Usually the light skinned population who benefit from this say this, but when one meets darker people you hear a different story.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:49 PM

308 posts, read 237,495 times
Quote:
Economically most Afro Panamanians are towards the bottom of the ladder.Not always the fault of discrimination but to say it doesnt exist isnt quite true.The lighter your skin in Panama the better off you usually are,but thats Latin America in general

Old 10-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Economically most Afro Panamanians are towards the bottom of the ladder.Not always the fault of discrimination but to say it doesnt exist isnt quite true.The lighter your skin in Panama the better off you usually are,but thats Latin America in general
yes this is more what the Panamanians who I know report when they visit. I have heard all about the antics of the "rabiblancos".

I have even heard that the West Indian descended population has lost socio economic ground as they have been squeezed out of Canal jobs but unable to penetrate the high paying commercial sector jobs.

Last edited by caribny; 10-25-2017 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas