Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:43 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times

Advertisements

Hi. Trying to plan a last minute vacation to Rio for Carnival in Brazil... if I want to be in walking distance to the events where should I stay. I have zero time to really look in to this so any advice would 100% be appropriated!!!! Also what days should I be there for ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 05:21 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,418 times
Hi!
You don't need to be in walking distance from the sambodrome because the subway works 24/day from saturday to tuesday.
Basically you will just use the subway to go everywhere because street parties makes the city a mess and buses are not trustable these days. The exceptional operation of the subway and the great quantity of street parties will let the city dirty, the city is completely different these days from the rest of the year.
To visit Corcovado take the van in Lgo do Machado square (there's subway there) or in Lido Square in Copacabana. You can stay anywhere in Zona Sul close to the subway and you be okay. The street parties are mostly during the day and are called "blocos".
I don't recommend you to go to downtown blocos because they are too "hard" for a first timer! Go to blocos in Zona Sul, there are plenty of them and they are usually more friendly. Sambodrome activities are at night. Just take the taxi to go to Urca, where suggar loaf is located and I deeply reccomend you to walk thru the Urca neighbourhood, especialy in the sunset. Go to sugarloaf about 6PM and come back about 8PM, then instead of take the taxi walk until the end of the neighbourhood until Bar Urca, you'll love it!!
Ask for a transfer for/to the Airport in your package but buy a transport card for subway etc STILL IN THE AIRPORT!!! Say the transfer guy you will leave the Airport only with the card in your hands because god knows why it's almost impossible to get one in Zona Sul!! At the airport there is the BRT service that you won't use but because of that you can buy a Riocard for public transportation there, and DO IT!!!! Put about R$150 in each of them and you'll be fine. Take also the magazines at RioTur desk that are very useful. Even we "with it"cariocas always take them!!
Do go to Ipanema beach after 3 PM.
Do go to Copacabana beach before 10AM.
Don't go to these beaches between these times. In Ipanema don't go to Arpoador and the areas close to General Osorio station to swim, just at the sunset, preffer to go walking futher up. Never swim at the beaches in Guanabara Bay (That will be obvious).

Remember the visa/etc stuff by now in a brazilian consulate, because you'll need it in advance need it to fly to Brazil.
Have a great time!!!

Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 AM

The main nights at Sambodrome are Sunday and Monday

Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,728,855 times
Probably another trip that's not going to happen. You need to apply for a Visa to visit Brazil as a Canadian citizen which depending on where you are can take 20 working days.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:01 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Probably another trip that's not going to happen. You need to apply for a Visa to visit Brazil as a Canadian citizen which depending on where you are can take 20 working days.
Wow.... thanks for negative .
But you are right. As I looked a bit more in to this and I am not sure this is a goid trip to plan last minute ...ex I did not realize that in Brazil I cant check in to a hotel with a child unless I have their long forum burth certificate.... also had no clue I needed a visa ( as a Canadian not really something I have to get in advance). Plus it is a minium 10 flight .... my family wilk be wanted to kill each other by the end of that. South America seems not as accessable compared to other parts of the Americas. As someone who works like 60 odd hours a week...plus as a child... I might need a quicker to arrange trip. Cartagena is way too expensive to go to right now .... in a prepackaged trip and when traveling with my kid I am not willing to take as many chances ex dealing with making self arranged airport transfers.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:05 PM

Default ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Hi!
You don't need to be in walking distance from the sambodrome because the subway works 24/day from saturday to tuesday.
Basically you will just use the subway to go everywhere because street parties makes the city a mess and buses are not trustable these days. The exceptional operation of the subway and the great quantity of street parties will let the city dirty, the city is completely different these days from the rest of the year.
To visit Corcovado take the van in Lgo do Machado square (there's subway there) or in Lido Square in Copacabana. You can stay anywhere in Zona Sul close to the subway and you be okay. The street parties are mostly during the day and are called "blocos".
I don't recommend you to go to downtown blocos because they are too "hard" for a first timer! Go to blocos in Zona Sul, there are plenty of them and they are usually more friendly. Sambodrome activities are at night. Just take the taxi to go to Urca, where suggar loaf is located and I deeply reccomend you to walk thru the Urca neighbourhood, especialy in the sunset. Go to sugarloaf about 6PM and come back about 8PM, then instead of take the taxi walk until the end of the neighbourhood until Bar Urca, you'll love it!!
Ask for a transfer for/to the Airport in your package but buy a transport card for subway etc STILL IN THE AIRPORT!!! Say the transfer guy you will leave the Airport only with the card in your hands because god knows why it's almost impossible to get one in Zona Sul!! At the airport there is the BRT service that you won't use but because of that you can buy a Riocard for public transportation there, and DO IT!!!! Put about R$150 in each of them and you'll be fine. Take also the magazines at RioTur desk that are very useful. Even we "with it"cariocas always take them!!
Do go to Ipanema beach after 3 PM.
Do go to Copacabana beach before 10AM.
Don't go to these beaches between these times. In Ipanema don't go to Arpoador and the areas close to General Osorio station to swim, just at the sunset, preffer to go walking futher up. Never swim at the beaches in Guanabara Bay (That will be obvious).

Remember the visa/etc stuff by now in a brazilian consulate, because you'll need it in advance need it to fly to Brazil.
Have a great time!!!
Thanks so much for this info......
I am doubting taking my kid with us. It is just add way too much stress. I think this is too ambitious for a first time visit..... but I am banking this info another time.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Oh my God ... it cost like $260 per person to get a visa lol..... WOW. That crazy expensive! So for my family of 3 I would have to spend $750 just to get a visa..... wow this is not a last minute trip choice at all.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Actualy it's $120. Not sure about babies. But for sure (s)he needs a passport. The hotel probably will only check the passport, if you are the parents. The birth certificate will be necessary for the visa.

Official info
http://toronto.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist_visa.xml

Last edited by Mr.Falcon; 02-05-2017 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 03:10 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Wow.... thanks for negative .
But you are right. As I looked a bit more in to this and I am not sure this is a goid trip to plan last minute ...ex I did not realize that in Brazil I cant check in to a hotel with a child unless I have their long forum burth certificate.... also had no clue I needed a visa ( as a Canadian not really something I have to get in advance). Plus it is a minium 10 flight .... my family wilk be wanted to kill each other by the end of that. South America seems not as accessable compared to other parts of the Americas. As someone who works like 60 odd hours a week...plus as a child... I might need a quicker to arrange trip. Cartagena is way too expensive to go to right now .... in a prepackaged trip and when traveling with my kid I am not willing to take as many chances ex dealing with making self arranged airport transfers.
Brazilian bureaucracy is no joke! It takes a while to get the visas. And, yeah, that flight distance is a killer.

Plan the trip for next year, carnaval will always be there. Rio is definitely a great place to visit and to take the kids, but you definitely need time to prepare. Or, you could decide to leave the kids. They may drive you crazy during that flight. Lol

Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Carnival is not viewed as a children-friendly party. There are some parties for them, but not the mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas