Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 05:19 PM

532 posts, read 821,178 times

Advertisements

Suriname is a place you don't here much about. Is anyone from there on CD? Or anybody been there? I looked it up on the internet and still didn't find much. The stuff I saw made it seem like it is kind of dangerous or very high crime. It seems that the president is a convicted drug trafficker and suspected of murder. It does look like it probably has great foods, but one the articles I saw on the web thought the restaurants were pretty unremarkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 03:35 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
I'm interested in it as well. It's probably one of the least well known country's in the world.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Richard World Travel on youtube has quite a few videos on Suriname...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOlOPorlnZU

Interesting book...

The Riverbones: Stumbling After Eden in the Jungles of Suriname

Old 02-02-2018, 11:47 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,779 times
I had no idea Suriname drive on the left as I didn't think any countries in the Americas did. Why is that, France and Netherlands have always drove on the right to say nothing of the rest of South America.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:23 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
I was there last year. I was really looking forward to seeing the country, but I was disappointed with it. It didn't have the clean and tidy aspect that I would have expected from a country with a history of Dutch administration. There are quite a few Dutch expats there, but they are cliquish and unfriendly.

The Surinamese are conscious of their poor governing administration, and are in fact envious of the Guyanese, which by comparison is doing quite well, including a seemingly efficient universal health care plan.

Even casual shopping I found difficult, the street markets are not well stocked, and places called "supermarkets" are just dark and dreary shops where the staff (one cashier) speaks only Chinese. I usually try to be upbeat and optimistic in these threads about the third word, but I just found Suriname hard to like.

Suriname probably has the most undeveloped land of any country in the world, so it is attractive for the naturalist, who can get really deep in the jungles, but outfitters required. Virtually no derivable roads except the coastel highway.. Transport-wise, Suriname is an island, in that there are no roads or bridges in or out of the country -- only ferries on the roads to Guyana and French Guyane.

It's possible, but complicated to visit all three Guianas on the same trip. I flew into Georgetown, Guyana, stamped in at the airport. Suriname requires a tourist card, that you have to get in Georgetown. (Unless you have visa before you go.) Then a van across the twice-a-day ferry to Suriname. It's only a single entry tourist card, so if you continue to very expensive French Guyane, you need to go all the way to Cayenne and stay a day or to to get a new Suriname tourist card to get back again. But near the ferry, you may (or may not) be able to arrange a local boater take you over to the village in French Guyane, and then reenter Suriname without being noticed. It's best to take a Suriname taxi to the border, with a driver who says he can arrange a boat. Then go back to Paramaribo and take the van back to Guyana (stamped in at border) for your flight back home. From Guyana, there is also a road link to Brazil.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:18 AM

Did you think Guyana was more developed than Suriname? I always assumed it was until some trip reports and videos on YouTube, some from Guyanese, said the opposite.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:32 AM

532 posts, read 821,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I was there last year. I was really looking forward to seeing the country, but I was disappointed with it. It didn't have the clean and tidy aspect that I would have expected from a country with a history of Dutch administration. There are quite a few Dutch expats there, but they are cliquish and unfriendly.

The Surinamese are conscious of their poor governing administration, and are in fact envious of the Guyanese, which by comparison is doing quite well, including a seemingly efficient universal health care plan.

Even casual shopping I found difficult, the street markets are not well stocked, and places called "supermarkets" are just dark and dreary shops where the staff (one cashier) speaks only Chinese. I usually try to be upbeat and optimistic in these threads about the third word, but I just found Suriname hard to like.

Suriname probably has the most undeveloped land of any country in the world, so it is attractive for the naturalist, who can get really deep in the jungles, but outfitters required. Virtually no derivable roads except the coastel highway.. Transport-wise, Suriname is an island, in that there are no roads or bridges in or out of the country -- only ferries on the roads to Guyana and French Guyane.
That's disappointing, but it's in line with what I've found doing internet searches. Being closer to the United States, I figured a trip there would be more affordable than going to say, southeast Asia, but I found that airline tickets to Manila, Philippines are actually several hundred dollars less than to Paramaribo, Suriname. And since they don't get a lot of tourists and tourism is not big part of their economy, hotels and travel are pretty high too.

I guess it could be pretty great for ecotourists looking for lots of nature.
Thanks for posting about your experience there, Cebuan.

I would like to know more about the culture and daily living there though. It has an interestingly diverse population with no race\ethnicity in the majority or even a strong plurality. Looks like as a former Dutch colony, a lot of the Dutch people there are actually born there besides just expatriates.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Did you think Guyana was more developed than Suriname? I always assumed it was until some trip reports and videos on YouTube, some from Guyanese, said the opposite.
The infrastructure in Suriname is noticeably better, Guyana has more of a haphazard feel. You never feel in Georgetown like you're in a city proper, but Paramaribo has a definite planned urban feel to it. It gives Guyana more of a poor aspect. Suriname has about double the PPP of Guyana, about equal to those of Colombia and Bolivia. I have the sense that Guyana is aggressively developing its interior resources, creating jobs, while Suriname is basically remaining a city-state with no visible goals.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The infrastructure in Suriname is noticeably better, Guyana has more of a haphazard feel. You never feel in Georgetown like you're in a city proper, but Paramaribo has a definite planned urban feel to it. It gives Guyana more of a poor aspect. Suriname has about double the PPP of Guyana, about equal to those of Colombia and Bolivia. I have the sense that Guyana is aggressively developing its interior resources, creating jobs, while Suriname is basically remaining a city-state with no visible goals.
Thanks for the insight.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Actually Guyana has more PPP than Bolivia according to both the IMF and the World Bank. Colombia has about double both. Colombia is practically equal to Brazil in PPP, literally only $10 dollars away from the upper middle income threshold, Suriname is not too far off with $880 dollars from the threshold. http://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/PPPPC@WEO/THA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas