Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 PM

10,209 posts, read 15,912,728 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosty, I'm wondering if people consider the Caribbean islands like the Virgin Islands, Aruba, St. Thomas, Jamaica, part of Latin America? What about nearby islands technically not in the Caribbean like the Bahamas and Bermuda?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Just out of curiosty, I'm wondering if people consider the Caribbean islands like the Virgin Islands, Aruba, St. Thomas, Jamaica, part of Latin America? What about nearby islands technically not in the Caribbean like the Bahamas and Bermuda?
No, Those islands are not Spanish or Portuguese speaking islands. To be part of Latin America, the island/country have to be spanish or portuguese speaking. Even though Haiti language is Hatian creole and french(which is a latin/romance language), its not consider part of Latin America.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,151 times
no, not linguistically, culturally or politically.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Do you consider Guyana, an English-speaking country on the South American mainland, to be part of Latin America? Do you consider Paupa-New Guinea to be part of Asia? PNG shares an island with West Irian, which is part of Indonesia, which is part of Asia. Indonesia also shares the island of Borneo with Malaysia, which is in Asia. There is a land border between Malaysia and Indonesia, and another land border between Indonesia and PNG. So where does Asia stop?

These are meaningless questions, which unfortunately, clutter intelligent discourse by diverting attention from important subjects and throwing it into bickering about irrelevancies. It's like asking if a certain body of water is a gulf or a bay. Or asking if Australia is a continent or not.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
These are meaningless questions, which unfortunately, clutter intelligent discourse by diverting attention from important subjects and throwing it into bickering about irrelevancies. It's like asking if a certain body of water is a gulf or a bay. Or asking if Australia is a continent or not.
I disagree, what a body of water is defined as doesn't really have any bearing on people's culture, language, politics, etc. But what the culture of an area of land is defined as certainly does. Sure, the lines may get blurred sometimes, it may be difficult to define an area with very mixed cultures - but I don't see how that makes it meaningless. Maybe it's just because I have a mild interest in anthropology but I find it very interesting. If it's such a meaningless question, why even bother replying in the first place?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,753 times
Quote:
I don't.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,890 times
They're definitely not, although I think the term Latin America is too ambiguous. As it's been said here, people speak a Latin language in Haiti yet no one think of it as Latin America. I think it would be more accurate to speak of Spanish America, etc.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,053 times
Quote:
Jamaica is very Carabbean as is the Bahamas...nothing Latin American those two Islands. St Croix always feels very Caribbean to. Bermunda is technically in the Atlantic isn't it and has a different feel to it....just like the Cayman Islands.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,182 times
Quote:
No way, I definately consider them separately and distinctly Caribbean due to the location, and especially the culture. As a matter of fact, there are several Latin American countries that are accepted as "Caribbean" due to culture, despite the location: Panama, Belize, Guyana,Suriname, etc.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:59 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,890 times
Caribbean and Latin American are not mutually exclusive categories in the least. Caribbean is a geographic category - Latin American is cultural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas