Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times

Advertisements

I don’t see other Latinos do this.

For example, Puerto Ricans don’t call their island “San Juan.”

And Puerto Rico is smaller than the Dominican Republic.

Is it because they’re ashamed of saying they come from a small town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 05:59 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
The country itself is known as Santo Domingo too. Other latinos (basically anyone that speaks Spanish) call the country that too, especially in Puerto Rico, Cuba or Venezuela. Everyone that speaks Spanish know what country is being referred to. From politicians to written reports, priests, TV show host, etc interchangeably call the country that too.

English speakers is a different story, but in historical documents all the way to the middle of the 20th century you will find the country called that too. I have seen documents in the USA where they call it San Domingo instead of Santo Domingo (I have also seen Porto Rico instead of Puerto Rico). You also see this in several maps.

The island is also called Santo Domingo (in fact, the French simply converted the name to French and named their colony Saint-Domingue). Some maps of the French called the eastern part as “La Española” or “Hispañola”, which means The Spanish Side or Little Spain.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:12 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
I’ve always known it as another name for the country. Plenty people from other Caribbean islands - non-Spanish speaking - seem to call it Santo Domingo as well. We have an older calypsonian from my island of descent who always sang tributes to places he visited. The song for the DR was called...Santo Domingo. I lived in the USVI and people there call it Santo Domingo (and sometimes call the people “Santos”).

Old 06-24-2019, 06:30 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The country itself is known as Santo Domingo too. Other latinos (basically anyone that speaks Spanish) call the country that too, especially in Puerto Rico, Cuba or Venezuela. Everyone that speaks Spanish know what country is being referred to. From politicians to written reports, priests, TV show host, etc interchangeably call the country that too.

English speakers is a different story, but in historical documents all the way to the middle of the 20th century you will find the country called that too. I have seen documents in the USA where they call it San Domingo instead of Santo Domingo (I have also seen Porto Rico instead of Puerto Rico). You also see this in several maps.

The island is also called Santo Domingo (in fact, the French simply converted the name to French and named their colony Saint-Domingue). Some maps of the French called the eastern part as “La Española” or “Hispañola”, which means The Spanish Side or Little Spain.
So you're saying that since the country's founding, it's always been referred to "Santo Domingo?"

Interesting. I wonder why.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
So you're saying that since the country's founding, it's always been referred to "Santo Domingo?"

Interesting. I wonder why.
Since before the country’s founding. Its the same thing with Dominicans, it has been applied to the inhabitants of the Spanish side way before the DR as a state was created. For example, in 1821 the inhabitants of the eastern part decided they were going to part of Spain. If you search the declaration of independence it talks about the “Dominican people” even though the DR was not created until almost a quarter of a century later. Even before that you will find “Dominicans” referred to interchangeably to the inhabitants of the Spanish part. It derives from Santo Domingo, especially the Domingo part of the word.

Most countries in the Caribbean had their identity formed after their government was created and usually it took many years to form a nation. Many places aren’t even a nation yet, despite the years that has passed with the created state. It was the complete opposite among Dominicans. Something similar also exist with the Puerto Ricans on the island. In reality, most don’t feel as Americans but as Boricuas despite what could be said on their passport or birth certificate. Notice most still feel at mire ease speaking Spanish, despite they have been a part of the USA for over 100 years. Their politics resembles more Latin America than the USA.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:42 PM

264 posts, read 136,735 times
the country was called santo domingo for a longer period of time than its been called Dominican republic.
it was the former Spanish colony of Santo Domingo for 300 years.

also the island is called island of santo domingo in certain maps

you can also make the argument that the dominican republic is the name dominican state created in 1844. and the country is santo domingo, has been there longer.
Dominicans as people existed way before the republic.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
the country was called santo domingo for a longer period of time than its been called Dominican republic.
it was the former Spanish colony of Santo Domingo for 300 years.

also the island is called island of santo domingo in certain maps

you can also make the argument that the dominican republic is the name dominican state created in 1844. and the country is santo domingo, has been there longer.
Dominicans as people existed way before the republic.
It's the only country in Latin America where the state name is also the country's name. For example, Mexico is the country while United Mexican States is the government, Cuba is the country while the Cuban Republic or the Republic of Cuba is the government, Argentina is the country while the Argentine Republic or Republic of Argentina is the government. You can go up and down the continent and even the world and find many examples. In fact, right next door is Haiti with its government of the Haitian Republic or Republic of Haiti.

I have also seen Republic of Santo Domingo in some documents, which is the same as saying the Dominican Republic.

I found a map that was made in the middle of the 1800's in the United States, many decades after the DR was created. At that time American politicians were thinking of annexing the country to the USA and was argued in the Senate and Congress.

The Changes to the Border on the Island of Santo Domingo

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-25-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas