Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 02:44 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I'm not aware there was a shortage of Spanish women in Spain. Just assuming based on that there was no shortage of women in England, Ireland, etc. There was never a shortage of women in the Americas.

Oh well, according to some the English brought women from England to a place where there was no shortage of available local women. Hm, wonder why. I mean, these were non-white women, but I'm sure that had nothing to do. Disgust anyone?
I was talking about South and Central America. Both Spain and Portugal sent a lot more young men than women to their colonies. They didn't send whole families to settle these territories for a variety of reasons.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 02:52 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,440,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I was talking about South and Central America. Both Spain and Portugal sent a lot more young men than women to their colonies. They didn't send whole families to settle these territories for a variety of reasons.
This.
People forget but the British colonies in North America were initially set up the same way as the Spanish ones. Predominantly young men came out at first, so there was actually a lot of intermarriage with native Americans which is why there are some white Americans with some native ancestry.

Eventually Britain began to send out fewer single men, and more families with wives and children as settlers to North America so the need to mate with non whites disappeared. Spain and Portugal never did the same with their colonies so intermarriage with non whites continued for much much longer resulting in the dominant mestizo populations you see today in most of Latin America.

The one exception would be Argentina which went out to attract Italian families to settle there. Which is why Argentina is probably more European in race than most other Latin American countries.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:24 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
Bingo!

This reminds me of a well known anecdote that has been repeated both in Spain and among certain intellectual circles in Latin America. Its about a Mexican woman that went to Spain and told another Spanish woman that her people (the Spanish one) conquered her people (the Mexican one). The Spanish woman responded "perhaps those are your ancestors, because all my ancestors remained in Spain". lol

As hard as it might be for some Americans to accept, but the typical Latin American is not just a descendant of an Indian and/or an African, but also of a European and more often than not a Spaniard, and its not as if its a trace. That is simply the way it is from as far north as Mexico down to Argentina, from as far east as Puerto Rico to as far west as Panama. Lying about things will not make them true and exaggerating are simply that with the typical line between a lie and an exaggeration remaining very thin.

Its like saying most Latin Americans speak a colonized language when it isn't true. Most Latin Americans speak their native language, Spanish. This is not Equatorial Guinea where most people have very few or none at all of Spanish ancestry, hence there the Spanish language is a colonial language for most Equatorial Guinean but not for most Latin Americans. Its actually the language of their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents; great-great-grandparents all the way back to, well, Spain. A person can say all they want that Latin Americans speak a language of a 'foreign people' and convince as many people as they want, yet it remains true that in fact they are not speaking a language that was imposed on them, but rather a language they inherited from their parents. In addition, most have an abundant blood line that eventually goes back to Spain. There is simply no way around that. The same is true among most Brazilians, except the Portuguese language takes the place of the Spanish language.
It's not perhaps it's 100% certain without a doubt the case.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:29 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Brazilians do not glorify Portuguese colonialism at all. They are often dismissive of the Portuguese - and feel that Portuguese colonialism's exploitative nature is the reason Brazil has never reached its potential and will always be "the country of the future."

In Brasília, my personal trainer said Brazil was settled/colonized by thieves and prostitutes.

If that is the case than he is the descendant of those thieves and prostitutes. In the end he's talking about himself. Em fim é uma história mal contada.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:26 PM

220 posts, read 172,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

Eventually Britain began to send out fewer single men, and more families with wives and children as settlers to North America so the need to mate with non whites disappeared. Spain and Portugal never did the same with their colonies so intermarriage with non whites continued for much much longer resulting in the dominant mestizo populations you see today in most of Latin America.
Spanish women began arriving to the Americas in the early 1500's and between 1560 and 1579 over one third of the travelers were women and for many centuries later they continued to arrive.
As a matter of fact in the 15th hundreds there was an excess number of women in Spain with respect to the number of men; coming to the Americas opened more doors to them, instead of only matrimony or the nunnery.

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias/2..._de_america_jr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWlEwsbLIP4

San Antonio TX for example was founded by several Spanish families and groups of people that included Spanish women, that same type of event was played out all of LA for centuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLW...&pp=QADQAwE%3D

Old 08-31-2020, 06:44 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Bingo!

This reminds me of a well known anecdote that has been repeated both in Spain and among certain intellectual circles in Latin America. Its about a Mexican woman that went to Spain and told another Spanish woman that her people (the Spanish one) conquered her people (the Mexican one). The Spanish woman responded "perhaps those are your ancestors, because all my ancestors remained in Spain". lol
Didn't a decent number of Spanish soldiers return to Spain? I know Cortes did, as did some when Bolivar ended Spanish colonialism.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:39 AM

990 posts, read 880,042 times
Quote:
I'm certainly not denying that black Dominicans and other Latin Americans do have some European ancestry. Indeed they do, while I as a pure born African do not.
However, this claim to be strictly Spanish and not African is not based on any exhaustive scientific study and research. I've met young Dominicans who would couldnt spell the word science, never mind reading up on the genetic research who say this. Ditto for elderly Dominicans. This theory of NOT being black is not based on science, rather it's based on the deep rooted inferiority complex where anything associated with black is considered undesirable. And this is very widespread throughout Latin America. Brazilian soccer player Ronaldo claimed that he was white. Heck just look at Sammy Sosa. Dude went and pulled a Michael Jackson. Like I said before, I just feel sorry for the black Latin Americans who are so ashamed of their ancestry like this. I'm not even angry. It's just sad.

Ronaldo said he has never suffered racism (as many players) in Europe maybe because ''he looks whiter''. It is just his feeling, true or not, but of course he knows he is pardo.

Pardos like Ronaldo or even darkers full blood europeans became browns when living in the hottest parts of Brazil but when they are in Europe or US for long time they whiter again.

I saw the same think with Neymar, some US blacks activists saying that Neymar is trying whiter himself, but they don't know that Neymar are born and raized in Santos a beach city.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:00 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,947,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
It's not perhaps it's 100% certain without a doubt the case.
Its a saying, but there's much truth to it. Spanish migrants to the Americas starting in the 1500's have their descendants mostly in Latin America than in Spain, and most of those descendants are mestizos and mulattos. The average Spaniard today most likely has zero ancestors that migrated to the Americas, especially in that century. A person is much more likely to realistically meet a descendant of those migrants within the Hispanic community of the USA than the general Spaniard population (and in Spain I'm willing to bet that its much more common to meet their descendants among Latin American migrants than among the typical Spaniard too). Its actually quite ironic that a descendant of some conquistador makes someone else that has no conquistador in their bloodline to feel guilty as if they are the descendants of the conquistador while the blamer isn't.

People may not be too aware, including most Latinos, but a descendant of those Spaniards that arrived in the 1500's is staring right back at you every morning when you see yourself in the mirror and for the most part isn't some guy in another part of the world.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-01-2020 at 08:12 AM..

Old 09-01-2020, 08:25 AM

990 posts, read 880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Brazilians do not glorify Portuguese colonialism at all. They are often dismissive of the Portuguese - and feel that Portuguese colonialism's exploitative nature is the reason Brazil has never reached its potential and will always be "the country of the future."

In Brasília, my personal trainer said Brazil was settled/colonized by thieves and prostitutes.
It is a brazilian far left wing speech which always comes together with colonialism and neocolonialism by foreign multinationals that exploit national natural resources.

Quote:
This.
People forget but the British colonies in North America were initially set up the same way as the Spanish ones. Predominantly young men came out at first, so there was actually a lot of intermarriage with native Americans which is why there are some white Americans with some native ancestry.

The one exception would be Argentina which went out to attract Italian families to settle there. Which is why Argentina is probably more European in race than most other Latin American countries.
In the 17th century half of the portuguese population (whole families) moved to Brazil during the gold rush. Portugal had to limit the migration to Brazil in order to not depopulate Portugal.

if you go to the inner Brazil in states little known as Minas Gerais, Goiás, Mato Grosso, Tocantins you will see a predominantly white population of Portuguese origin who migrated to these gold mining regions.

also thousands of orphaned girls and widowed women (men died by the thousands in wars and sea voyages) were sent every year by the church and the government to marry in Brazil, it was an economic relief not to have to support them in any way in Portugal.

Portugal a small country sent more portuguese to Brazil than England sent english to USA, but England permited since colonial times that protestant people from germans countries helped in the colonization not to mention Irish and Scots.

The main reason of USA has much more whites than most Latin American countries is because of the 40 millions Europeans that arrived in USA in the 19th century. Brazil with only 5 or 6 millions europeans immigrants in that time already had huge impact in the areas that these immigrants settled.

South USA had more blacks than whites for long time until the big european immigration wave.

Last edited by EVANGELISTTI; 09-01-2020 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-01-2020, 11:16 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Quote:
Another thing to take into account about darker Dominicans, based on what I have noticed through the years, is that on DNA tests their results usually have a lower level from Sub-Saharan Africa than a similar looking African Americsn and/or than what anyone can expect their results will be based on their color and facial features.

I'll use four examples from darker Dominicans that apperently are distsnt cousins of me. I cover their names and part of their faces for privacy reasons.

These are typical cases with darker Dominicans with whom I share a small part of DNA. Despite what could be assumed by looking at them, on average an African American with similar looks have a tendency be overwhelmingly of African descent, as per the results in these DNA tests. Not only are they considerably more African than the Dominican counterpart, but they are majority African in their DNA. Among darker Dominicans even when they are more African than European, the African component rarely makes up more than hslf of their DNA.

As for why this happens, I don't have a definite explanation. The only explanation I have come up with is that most Dominicans are the results of multigenerational admixture and this could explains why often times the feature of a person suggest they must be majority African, but rather they are not. There are other aspects, such as the average Dominican has material from North Africa (most likely introduced by the Spanish from the Canary Islands since many were admixed with the Guanches, natives of the Canary Islands, by the time thry decided to immigrate to Santo Domingo) and noticeable amounts of Native Americans (most likely from the Tainos, native people of Hispaniola, but probably a mixture of other natives too) among other factors typically absent within African Americans.

The thing is that an African American might look similar to say the third woman above and might assume that because they both have similar features, similar colors, similar hair; that they both must be similarly African. Yet, if both were to do a DNA analyses its almost a given that the African American will be overwhelmingly African, maybe into the 70% to 80% and maybe higher. The Dominican one, well, look at her result above.

That's just in the genetic side, because culturally people in the Western Hemisphere overwhelmingly are more European than African or native and this is obvious in the way they use the language, the food they est, the music, the arts, etc. If a person is only say 30% African and culturally the European aspects or origin within the culture is greater than, in this case, the African; how can a person that is 75% African expect the 30% one to be as African as she is? A person can say that both look very similar and they might as well look similar, but there are things that goes beyond the skin at first glance. The 30% will not be as African as the 75% one, regardless of looks. The 75% ine can say that the 30% one is in denial based on looks alone (most people only have looks to go by), but there is a certain reality that goes beyond looks. Looking into the actual DNA level is a stepping stone in understanding something thst isn't as simple as it looks.

Given the evidence I have seen time and again through the years, I've tsken the assumption that the average Dominican is less African thsn what their looks suggests, regardless what that look might be. Its a reality that I've noticed for so long that now the surprise isn't when it happens, but rather when a Dominican is as African or more thsn their looks suggest given that the typical African American is much more African with less African looks. Its almost surreal.
Dominicans tend to be more Amerindian/other non SSA poc or brown people than the average African-American, too. Even if it's not as much as found in other latino subgroups, it's probably enough, in combination with the SSA imprint, to give the impression that they are more "Black" than in reality. For instance, I have a distant Trinidadian cousin on 23&me that is 25% SSA. Like the Dominicans posted, he sways more European( half being Spanish/Portuguese) but he has substantial ancestry in South Asia, with smaller imprints of Amerindian and North African thrown in. He is as dark complected( still light skin by African American standards) as those Dominican profiles. Trinidadians aren't latino, but their ancestry profiles are just as diverse(just that their Indian sways East) in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas