Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Congrats Rio! I'm happy for you guys. I'm sure you will make Brazil and all of South America proud.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
I would much rather take a vacation to see the Olympics in Rio then in Chicago.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:08 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
Anyone who's been to Rio will know it's a crime infested, prostitution riddled, overcrowded slum with a gorgeous beach. Get over it. This is a huge mistake by the IOC. Anywhere but Rio would have made sense.

What are they going to do? Bulldoze the favelas and push the poor and criminals out to the edges of the city?

Oh yeah, if do you go to Rio in 2016, don't take the taxis. Also, don't be surprised if a cop pulls you over and demands money or else he will arrest you. Oh yeah and don't forget that you won't be able to breathe given Rio's plans ... it will make congestion worse.

Chicago was my top pick, then Tokyo, then Madrid, because in all of those places I have family.

Let's be real here ... the IOC picked Rio out of emotion and not out of any regard to logic.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
2020 is Houston's year

No offense, but I hope that was sarcasm.

Some genius (maybe it was Bill White) thought that a bid for 2012 was a great thing. I don't remember it getting far, though.

But, if Athens was any indication, they had to foot a cool billion (IIRC) after their games. Nice. Heck, Harris County STILL owes money on the Astrodome refurb from the late 80s...

I'm still wondering how Chi-town was in this mix and how people were in awe over the early knockout. Honest.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 PM

526 posts, read 1,756,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Let's be real here ... the IOC picked Rio out of emotion and not out of any regard to logic.

Do liberals make any decision/policy based on anything other than emotion?

This is yet another failure of the Obama administration.

YouTube - ObamaHandshakeSnubbed

He cannot even garner a handshake let alone bringing the Olympics to the US.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
Default 2016---Rio got the bid, good, bad or ugly?

I would be curious to know what everyone thinks of the Rio bid. I am seeing very strong reaction on other message boards about the crime factor in Rio. I have a feeling that is just a reaction from people who wanted the games in other cities...So I ask CD, Rio, good or bad choice?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Anyone who's been to Rio will know it's a crime infested, prostitution riddled, overcrowded slum with a gorgeous beach. Get over it. This is a huge mistake by the IOC. Anywhere but Rio would have made sense.

What are they going to do? Bulldoze the favelas and push the poor and criminals out to the edges of the city?

Oh yeah, if do you go to Rio in 2016, don't take the taxis. Also, don't be surprised if a cop pulls you over and demands money or else he will arrest you. Oh yeah and don't forget that you won't be able to breathe given Rio's plans ... it will make congestion worse.

Chicago was my top pick, then Tokyo, then Madrid, because in all of those places I have family.

I spent six months in Brazil, two of which were in Rio de Jainero. It has a lot more to offer than you think.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:34 AM

184 posts, read 551,665 times
Quote:

You know absolutely nothing about Brazil, let alone Rio de Janeiro. You managed to get it wrong with every single statement of yours....that is usually hard to do.

Have you ever even been to Brazil? If so, the last time must have been back in the 80s or even before. You are in need of a serious reality check and some new education if that is your view of Rio de Janeiro.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Unfortunately there is a lot of crime in Rio, and a scary amount of it is street crime. However, Rio is a glorious city and the Cariocas on the whole have to be some of the greatest folks on the planet. I cannot imagine that the Brazilians will not flood the streets with both uniformed and plainclothes police.

Given the Brazilians ability to celebrate with style and verve it should be a wonderful event! In that respect it could be the best Oympics ever.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
He cannot even garner a handshake let alone bringing the Olympics to the US.
Uh, you do realize, of course, that this is Obama introducing the Russian president to American officials. He isn't trying to shake hands with them, you see, he already knows them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas