Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:28 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
As much as I love this country, I'm glad Rio won. I worried what more US security issues would have arose. I don't think our nation needs this right now.
And although it may seem Rio has more of it's share of slum problems, the olympics will motivate change. It's a happy city, so what better place? I wish them success.
If there are as many people living like ---- as I have heard there are in Rio, I doubt it is really a "happy city". Maybe for the top 5%, the same as in any other large South or Latin American city.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:27 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Wait a minute!!!Isnt Rio one of the biggest s-------s in the world, with a lot of poor people? So what is the Brazilian government doing wasting time and money on the olympics, instead of helping those people?
Hi Big Daryle,
I think you neeed to learn more about Brazil and Rio de Janeiro in my view. You need see things differently now. You need see the "world" beyond your nose or your neighborhood.
"...with a lot of poor people?" Yes, we have a lot of poor people. And what about your country?? Don't you have a lot of poor people, homeless living poorishly in the streets??
"...what is the Brazilian government doing..." Brazil will invest U$ 12.000.000.000 until 2016 and expect make money U$ 45.000.000.000.
I think the olimpic games will be an excellent business.
For more informations see Wikipedia.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:34 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Amigo! I know Rio will do a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing a samba at the opening ceremony! I think its wonderful for the first time.. a South American olympics! Maybe someday an African olympics?

I just hope the city spends its money wisely! Some Olympics make money, others (e.g. Montreal) took decades to be paid off!
It is a "risk business".

Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 PM

526 posts, read 1,756,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Uh, you do realize, of course, that this is Obama introducing the Russian president to American officials. He isn't trying to shake hands with them, you see, he already knows them.
Does he know these people too?

YouTube - Obama Snubbed In Saudi Arabia?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:34 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I'm happy they won. What are your thoughts?
It's good news Brazil!
Rio...isn't that the South American city where cops murders abandonned kids?
my cousin lives in Rio...and you would wouldn't believe the crime rate down there.
I hope something is done about that....

Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 PM

175 posts, read 482,932 times
Rio is gorgeous having been there many times. One needs to be careful while there because of the crime. With that said I am happy that Rio will get the Olympics. Cariocas are some of the nicest people that I have encountered while traveling abroad. I know there are many issues that Rio faces however they are no less deserving of hosting the Olympics.
Congratulations Cariocas...YOU DID IT!!!

Old 10-04-2009, 01:33 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Doubt LA will get it again after hosting it twice. Have you seen the bids for 2020 for the US??? hilarious lol
2020 will go to an African nation. Probably Cape Town, South Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Thank you very much for your words about Rio and Brazil.
Come visit us. We wait open arms.
Thanks but no thanks. From what I gather, Rio is like Detroit just with better scenery and a tropical climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Wait a minute! Isnt Rio one of the biggest s------s in the world, with huge numbers of poor people? What is the Brazilian government doing wasting time and resources on the olympics, instead of helping those people?
Yes...it is like Detroit when it comes to how poor and dangerous it is.

I have no clue, but it is an interesting point. There are many people that live in third world conditions in Rio that could use some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Yeah, why not go to Rio? No South American city has ever hosted the Oly's before, and ya gotta think it's a heckuva lot more of a tourist-friendly spot than Chicago.
RealClearWorld - World's Most Dangerous Cities - No. 6 Rio de Janeiro

I really hope you are kidding about Rio being more tourist friendly.

Quote:
Hi Big Daryle,
I think you neeed to learn more about Brazil and Rio de Janeiro in my view. You need see things differently now. You need see the "world" beyond your nose or your neighborhood.
"...with a lot of poor people?" Yes, we have a lot of poor people. And what about your country?? Don't you have a lot of poor people, homeless living poorishly in the streets??
"...what is the Brazilian government doing..." Brazil will invest U$ 12.000.000.000 until 2016 and expect make money U$ 45.000.000.000.
You honestly believe Brazil/Rio is going to make 375% of their investment of the Olympics back?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:23 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
If they can improve their infrastructure, I think the next American city to get it will actually be Chicago. L.A. has already had it twice and the relative failure of Atlanta in 1996 means the IOC will want it in a "mega city".

One thing going for Chicago is that they are one of two cities (both American) that actually lost an Olympics after they "won" it, though it was a long time ago. They won the 1904 Summer Olympics, but the powers that be then were very worried about competition from the World's Fair in St. Louis just 250 miles away at the same time so they moved the Olympics to St. Louis to have it together (remember, no TV yet so people basically "went" there and visits were the main source of revenue).

(Before you ask, the other city to "lose" an Olympics was Denver for the 1976 Winter Olympics.....they ran into budget problems, you can look it up).

Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
You should have written this article::
Lula’s Olympic Victory Sets Up Battle on Rio’s Crime - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20091003/pl_bloomberg/aw54nzd_66s - broken link)

It mentions crime (2,069 murders last year compared with 510 in Chicago), crumbling airport and infrastructure. Interesting note is that cops commit 1 in 5 of the murders.

I do hope they can pull it off. It would be a tragedy if tourists visiting the games are targets for crime (as they will be). Having a successful game may have an impact on an Olympic event held in Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The major issues facing Rio are this:

1) Lack of infrastructure. They're going to have to MASSIVELY invest in their infrastructure (highways, buildings, facilities) to get it done. I can't imagine it being done well ... they only have about 7 years left.

2) Crime. Yes, crime is an issue. I nearly got kidnapped there because I'm a white USA citizen. Thank God not all the cops there are corrupt.

3) Drugs. Yes, druglords are in teh country and will likely see this as a potential market.

4) Prostitution. I refer you to Google to fill in the blanks on this one.

5) Social inequities. The difference between the rich and poor in Brazil is staggering.

But given all these things, I truly hope they can pull it off without resorting to massive forced relocations, quashing of civil liberties, and screwing over the local populace.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:38 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Hi Big Daryle,
The last summer games to make money was Los Angeles in 1984. And yes poor people exist in the US as they do in ALL countries but if you are to believe Wikipedia (a source you quote), 1/3 of Brazil is classified as poor so the poverty rate there is exponentially higher than in the US. And we're not debating an American Olympics here -- we are discussing a Brazilian Olympics.

I think what will happen is Brazil will end up investing more than 12 billion! The airport needs major work. You need to build DOUBLE the number of hotels that you already have. At least you have plenty of people to draw on for labor. What happens to all the jobs when the games are over (120,000 new jobs per year will be created until the games)? What will they do for all those people. Who is going to fill up those hotel rooms after the games?

I understand your pride, its admirable. I'm happy Rio got it. I WANT to go there for the games! However, if I were Brazilian, I'd be leery of the financial numbers the government is throwing out to justify the games. If I were in Rio right now, I'd be celebrating with every one else in Copa, but in the back of my mind I'd be worried about the financial aspect of the game.. and of my taxes going up.

Last edited by minibrings; 10-04-2009 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas