Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 PM

304 posts, read 782,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Apparently having a large black population is seen as a negative but a white one is seen as a good thing. So they find no harm in lying about the true numbers.
and having a large asian population is seen as neutral.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
I've been to Colombia over 8 times (Cartagena, Medellin, Bogota, Cali, San Andres in Cali last weekend) and it's definitely not 4% Black (We're talking American Standards when It comes to race of course here not the Latin America Fantasy Version that skews numbers all over the place)...I've read that the true numbers are around 20% to 25%.

But just from those numbers mentioned in the fact book it seems clearly that my guess of 20%-25% is on target...colombia 14% mullato, 4%black, 3% zmbo (indian and black) cia world factbook.

I dont know anyone who classfies themself as Mulatto but outside of the USA and spefically in Latin America that term Is basically a very divise term that has effectivley diluted the power base of various Afro-Latins of The African Diaspora and still has a negative effect on those same people today. Simple Divide and Conquer when so called Mulattos and Blacks are in the same boat socially and economically and educationally.

Available estimates range from 4.4 to 10.5 million Afro-Colombians.[3] Afro-Colombians make up approximately 21% (9,154,537) of the population according to a projection of the National Administration Department of Statistics (DANE)[4], most of whom are concentrated on the northwest Caribbean coast and the Pacific coast in such departments as Chocó, although considerable numbers are also in Cali, Cartagena, and Barranquilla. Colombia is considered to have the third largest Black/African-descent population in the western hemisphere, following Brazil and the USA.

I bet that some of your "white" friends in BAQ would be in for a rude awakening If they think they would be classisfied as White here in the USA. More information for your reading and visual pleasure below...

AfroColombia.org | Connecting Afro-Colombians with their Sisters and Brothers around the World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzOlTAze3Q
BBC Mundo | América Latina | ¿Colombia hacia la integración racial?
Afro-Colombian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 02-03-2010 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Yeah I agree with you xodox,whites are the largest minority group in colombia and the biggest ethnic group in brazil. they might not all be pure white but their predominately white that goes for the majority of puerto rico too, I've been there a few times.

I'd go by the cia world factbook before anybody's opinion.
Going by your logic Blacks would indeed be the largest minority ethnic group in Colombia when you combine Mulatto, Black, Zambo that is 21%-22% according to the all knowing CIA world book . They might not all be pure black but they ARE PREDOMINATELY BLACK where it counts...Obviously Culturally & Physically.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I've been to Colombia over 8 times (Cartagena, Medellin, Bogota, Cali, San Andres in Cali last weekend) and it's definitely not 4% Black (We're talking American Standards when It comes to race of course here)...I've read that the true numbers are around 20% to 25%.

But just from those numbers mentioned in the fact book it seems clearly that my guess of 20%-25% is on target...colombia 14% mullato, 4%black, 3% zmbo (indian and black) cia world factbook.

I dont know anyone who classfies themself as Mulatto but outside of the USA and spefically in Latin America that term Is basically a very divise term that has effectivley diluted the power base of various Afro-Latins of The African Diaspora and still has a negative effect on those same people today. Simple Divide and Conquer when so called Mulattos and Blacks are in the same boat socially and economically and educationally.

Available estimates range from 4.4 to 10.5 million Afro-Colombians.[3] Afro-Colombians make up approximately 21% (9,154,537) of the population according to a projection of the National Administration Department of Statistics (DANE)[4], most of whom are concentrated on the northwest Caribbean coast and the Pacific coast in such departments as Chocó, although considerable numbers are also in Cali, Cartagena, and Barranquilla. Colombia is considered to have the third largest Black/African-descent population in the western hemisphere, following Brazil and the USA.

I bet that some of your "white" friends in BAQ would be in for a rude awakening If they think they would be classisfied as White here in the USA. More information for your reading and visual pleasure below...

AfroColombia.org | Connecting Afro-Colombians with their Sisters and Brothers around the World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzOlTAze3Q
BBC Mundo | América Latina | ¿Colombia hacia la integración racial?
Afro-Colombian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When they say black they mean pure black, there are very few pure blacks in much of latin america, but I do believe for the total afro population of colombia is between 20 - 25% which includes all mullatos pure blacks and zambos, and whites are about 20% and mestizos are over 50% making them the majority.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Going by your logic Blacks would indeed be the largest minority ethnic group in Colombia when you combine Mulatto, Black, Zambo that is 21%-22% according to the all knowing CIA world book . They might not all be pure black but they ARE PREDOMINATELY BLACK where it counts...Obviously Culturally & Physically.

Correct, sorry my mistake.

the way I look at colombia is that it has about equal number of afro and white people and a mestizo (indian and white) majority with a very tiny pure amerindian minority.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
When they say black they mean pure black, there are very few pure blacks in much of latin america, but I do believe for the total afro population of colombia is between 20 - 25% which includes all mullatos pure blacks and zambos, and whites are about 20% and mestizos are over 50% making them the majority.
Their arent many pure Blacks anywhere in All of the Americas! Slavery and sexual exploitation and the encourging of whitening the population (The Dominican Despot Trujillo anyone) through immigration and other means in The Americas took care of that. But culturally and physically we are a beautiful variation that spans the Americas and are inextricably linked together from the USA to Cuba to Colombia to Brazil. When I go into those poor Black Neighborhoods in these various countries I'm welcomed with open arms and can blend in and have a cerveza and can hit the dance floor later on with them as well .

Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Their arent many pure Blacks anywhere in All of the Americas! Slavery and sexual exploitation and the encourging of whitening the population (The Dominican Despot Trujillo anyone) through immigration and other means in The Americas took care of that. But culturally and physically we are a beautiful variation that spans the Americas and are inextricably linked together from the USA to Cuba to Colombia to Brazil. When I go into those poor Black Neighborhoods in these various countries I'm welcomed with open arms and can blend in and have a cerveza and can hit the dance floor later on with them as well .

that's probably why, but do you agree with what I'm saying in my last post?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Correct, sorry my mistake.

the way I look at colombia is that it has about equal number of afro and white people and a mestizo (indian and white) majority with a very tiny pure amerindian minority.
Overall and all things considered I would have to agree with your assessment... But I still think has much more of Mestizo population overall...Most of those "White" people in Colombia wouldnt be considered White in the USA/Europe etc...all of those Black people DEFINITELY would be considered Black.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 02-03-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Overall and all things considered I would have to agree with your assessment... But I still think has much more of Mestizo population overall...Most of those "White" people in Colombia wouldnt be considered White in the USA/Europe etc...all of those Black people DEFINITELY would be considered Black.

Yeah probably because most of colombian whites don't have a aryan look to them like many american whites.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:58 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
Quote:
Yeah probably because most of colombian whites don't have a aryan look to them like many american whites.
Ughh, what a word.

Not every white person is blonde and blue eyed, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas