Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:10 PM

56 posts, read 175,222 times

Advertisements

moving up in a coupla weeks and totalled our 4WD Cummins a month or so ago, so my only other truck is an old 2WD Chevy diesel...I'll be commuting all the way from Willow to Anchorage....should I spend the money to buy another 4x4 truck or will the 2WD with the right tires on it be ok on that stretch of road? currently have 33" Kumho off road tires on it

also, now that I think of it....how's day to day winter life driving old diesels up there? I spent 4 winters in Minneapolis, and had a few people in MN that used to live in Anchorage tell me that it was warmer in ANC by a bit...still hard for me to believe though!

thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Can't you get the insurance money and buy a new Dodge? Sell the 2wd.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
The debate rages on. Bottom line you will be safer in a 4WD vehicle. Willow is a ways..........you know this right?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 PM

........and buy here if you elect to buy. no sales tax.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM

56 posts, read 175,222 times
Warpt...man I wish...liability only...it was an old 1st Gen...great mechanically, but old ugly and rusty, didn't have much 'insurable value'....but in hindsight....

Aadad...yeah, don't like towns much less cities, so I got used to commuting into work a long time ago...do ya just mean 4wd is 'safer' meaning that it's a safer bet ya won't get stuck...or that it is actually more safe? in MN the road crews were on it before the first flurry hit damn near and they salted the **** out of it so ya really didn't need 4x4....my understanding is that y'all just throw gravel on it or something like that? how is driving on that? and from what ya said about the 'debate'...does this mean some people argue that ya don't need it or what exactly did ya mean?

thanks!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:24 PM

This subject has been debated before. Many think that 2WD is just fine and put heavy weight is the back of their truck. Others myself included go with 4WD for reasons typical of substantial winter driving. From Willow it is a 2 lane road some parts with a sudden ditch on one side. The road carries a permanent bed of ice in winter, depending on conditions can be glare ice. Road crews here means the Troopers and tows when people hit the ditch. Plows hit the roads about 6 am. Safer means that you will be able to negotiate the variable conditions in winter easier with a competent 4WD. People who I work with who live in Willow have options like staying here in Anchorage if weather hits hard.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:38 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
If I was communting from Willow I'd buy a Subuaru Outback. All wheel drive all the time. Very reliable and efficient.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
IF you were just going to be commuting only within the Anchorage bowl (not up on the hillside), then yes I would say you could get by with a 2WD. However, for the commute you are describing I would say it would be crazy not to buy a 4WD or AWD.

And yes, Anchorage winters are probably more temperate on average than Minneapolis - Anchorage is after all a costal city. Anchorage usually spends the majority of the winter in the high teens or low twenties, with only occasional cold snaps below zero (and also occasional warm spells with temps in the thirties and even forties). The main difference between Minneapolis is the winter up here is much longer - snow typically lasting from mid October to early May.

Of course interior Alaska is a completely different story!

Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
I'd go with a 4x4 for the commute. It sits higher and there are a lot of moose on the road between Willow and Wasilla and a lot of collisions between car/truck and moose. I wouldn't want to hit a moose with a Subaru or in anything.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM

I think Stiffnecked gets the prize on this one. Hate to admit it but the AWD and the low center of gravity provided by the Subaru is superior to a typical 4WD even my 4Runner.......however anything where you require sheer off road power is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage