Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 8,469 times

Advertisements

What parts of Anchorage are nice to live in?

Wouldn't have my own place, searching for a roomate and as low and affordable a rent as possible, but I do not know the city and don't know what areas are safer, nicer, etc.

It'd be nice if I could walk to work (I'd be looking for a job to pay the rent) during the summer, but I wouldn't mind driving either. So commuting isn't an issue.

I'm coming down in the spring to see the city/look at places for myself, but I'd like to get a good idea of a budget and what areas recommended.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times
It's hit or miss really. Do NOT stay in the area of 36th and C street.

But the neighborhood where I live now is really nice. We have been here 3 years and it's good. Very quite and safe. It's right at the inside corner of Tudor/Muldoon. Scenic Park

Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelcieann View Post
What parts of Anchorage are nice to live in?

Wouldn't have my own place, searching for a roomate and as low and affordable a rent as possible, but I do not know the city and don't know what areas are safer, nicer, etc.

It'd be nice if I could walk to work (I'd be looking for a job to pay the rent) during the summer, but I wouldn't mind driving either. So commuting isn't an issue.

I'm coming down in the spring to see the city/look at places for myself, but I'd like to get a good idea of a budget and what areas recommended.

Thanks!
The following Google Map will show you the different Anchorage areas most commonly referenced.

Anchorage Areas

The areas you want to avoid are:
  • Fairview;
  • Mountain View;
  • Muldoon Area; and
  • Spenard Area.
These are the high crime, low rent, areas of Anchorage (colored in red on the map). I would also recommend you stay at least a mile from any of the airports in Anchorage.

Except during rush hour, you can drive from one end of Anchorage to the other in about 20 minutes. If you are without a vehicle, there is a pretty good bus service.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:58 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
I am going to be in the rental market in the future sometime and we have been looking. Nice and affordable are mutually exclusive unless you get lucky, I dont know how the rental market is being proped up because things in Anchorage are not doing all that hot, its taking forever to sell real estate which means people dont have money to spend which means less good jobs are being had.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
It's hit or miss really. Do NOT stay in the area of 36th and C street.
I'd never heard that about 36th & C. Is that based on a specific occurance or was there a bunch of bad stuff that happened there recently?

Anchorage Crime Map

Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I am going to be in the rental market in the future sometime and we have been looking. Nice and affordable are mutually exclusive unless you get lucky, I dont know how the rental market is being proped up because things in Anchorage are not doing all that hot, its taking forever to sell real estate which means people dont have money to spend which means less good jobs are being had.
Anchorage has a vacancy rate of just under 1%. In addition, the property prices are higher in Anchorage than anywhere else in the State. The average property in Anchorage goes for around $225,000. You can buy the exact same home on four times more land for around $75,000 less in the Mat-Su Valley.

As a result, the Mat-Su Valley has grown faster than any other part of the State, including Anchorage, since around 2003.

So it is not because Anchorage is "not doing all that hot" it is because people prefer to spend less and get more, even if it means a long commute.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I'd never heard that about 36th & C. Is that based on a specific occurance or was there a bunch of bad stuff that happened there recently?

Anchorage Crime Map
There are no residences at that intersection, but the Consulate General of Japan is nearby...

Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post

Anchorage Crime Map
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There are no residences at that intersection, but the Consulate General of Japan is nearby...

Not at the exact intersection, I said in the "Area" of 36th and Cst.
Lots of theft, and homeless people. Homeless that like to sleep in the entryways and arctic entries of the apartments there. Homeless people walking into apartments that are not theirs, a lot of overt drug usage and 24 hour long parties.... Unless you like that sort of thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage