Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,476 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!
I've been interested in living in Alaska for a very long time and decided to attend UAA starting Fall 2012 semester. I am visiting either this spring or summer.

My plan is to live off-campus (hopefully I can find something affordable/people looking for a roomate). I've been doing a lot of research these last few weeks and came across this site. I was wondering if anyone has any advice, tips, facts, etc on Anchorage and what I can expect (besides the obvious -- cold winters, I grew up in the mountains in Germany and do not mind the cold).

Also, how difficult would it be to find a part-time job?

I am currently living in Maryland and would be driving (when I actually move there). Does anyone have any experience with this?

Basically, any and all information is helpful.

Thanks!
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM

32 posts, read 90,520 times
Default Some answers

Hi there!

Congratulations on getting into UAA! It's always a great feeling to know where you're going to be going to school.

About the move, I can't give you much advice if you're driving (my wife and I decided to do the sell all our belongings and fly up route). You do want to make sure that you have your passport in order as you will have to drive through Canada, and make sure to give yourself an extra day or three. Usually the longer the trip, the more things that come up along the way, so plan some extra time in when you're planning your itinerary so you won't end up missing registration or anything.

Also, an important thing when planning a move up here is to make sure you plan financially. Anchorage is more expensive than most areas of the lower 48, and it is important that you understand and take that into account. A good general rule of thumb is to take the amount of money you think you'll need in order to get up here and get situated and add 50% to that total. When we moved up here, we came from California, which is another high priced area, but we ended up spending more than even I thought we would (and I like to overestimate costs). Be warned, running out of money in a new place can be a scary experience, more so in a less forgiving place like Anchorage.

There are a LOT of places for rent in Anchorage, some extremely close to campus. Rents here are a bit higher than average, so renting a room would be an excellent idea. Craig's list is always a great resource, and you might want to check out Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments which is a website that puts places for rent from several sources on an easy to read map, and can be extremely helpful if you're looking to stay in a specific area (like near the campus). Per pretty much everyone I've talked to while planning our move, try to get a place that has heat included as it can add a lot to your monthly costs.

I've got great news for you on the job front, there are LOTS of them out there in Anchorage. Coming from a region where the unemployment rate is close to hitting 30%, it was surprising. Almost every business I've walked into has a help wanted sign up. You're probably not going to be making great money, but I'm assuming because you're looking for a part time job that it is going to be more of a supplemental income source. Another option is to check out the UAA website. They seem to have a lot of part time positions for students.

Again, good luck and congratulations on getting accepted to UAA. It seems like a great school, and this is an awesome city to live in!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,630,343 times
Coming up to visit is a good idea.
For the drive up, you'll want a The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,016,855 times
Here are a few things to consider for the drive to Alaska.

1. You will need a passport to get thru Canada.
2. If bringing any pets you must have the proper documentation to get them thru Canada.
3. Entering into Canada you may be asked to prove you have adequate financial resources (cash and credit cards) for the trip thru. Not sure what they consider adequate.
4. You will be driving the Alaskan Highway during peak season. You may find it hard to get a motel room at some places.
5. When you enter Canada they may run a background check on you. If you have any warrents, DUI's, or felonies you might not get thru.
6. Being summertime, you will not have any problems finding gas stations, grocery stores and such.
7. Depending on the time of day and the location, when entering into Canada they may take everything out of your car for inspection.
8. Bring a camera.
9. Allow enought time for the drive. Out of Maryland and into central Canada you will be able to make good time. However once you get onto the Alaskan Highway you will find it slower going. Much of it is 2 lane highway. You may encounter a lot of road construction. You will spend a lot of time trying to get around motohomes.

This is only a partial list. I am sure others will have more to add.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM

5 posts, read 8,476 times
Thanks for the responses you guys! I've found everything helpful and taken note.

Alaskan Mutt - I would be pulling a u-haul along on the back of my truck. Do you think this would cause a lot of trouble at the border?

danreynolds1975 - Thank you for all the info. I'm living in a very rural area right now and the odds of finding a job within an hour of here are slim. So hearing about the job opportunities is good news. I'll definitely plan more carefully financially, considering your experience and the high cost of living.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,300,878 times
If you can do basic maintenance on a trailer, you may be able to save money by buying a trailer down there and selling it up here. Trailers of all sorts sell very well up here, and you'll probably sell it for more than you paid, plus not spend money on the U-Haul. Just an idea. Also, don't bring a 2wd truck up here. They're quite hard to sell.

The drive is a lot of fun (I highly recommend a detour through Banff), and I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the border even with a dog and a pickup loaded with stuff. Make sure you read through the pertinent regulations for border crossing, and know what you can and can't bring across.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,630,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
If you can do basic maintenance on a trailer, you may be able to save money by buying a trailer down there and selling it up here. Trailers of all sorts sell very well up here, and you'll probably sell it for more than you paid, plus not spend money on the U-Haul. Just an idea.
I'd be careful there... My brother-in-law did this last fall. He actually brought up two trailers on two back to back trips. The first trailer sold quickly. Then right before he listed the second one on Craigslist, Bailey's Furniture brought up a bunch of trailers and was sellin' them cheap.

He finally sold his, but it took a lot longer than he thought and he got a little less than he wanted for it.

So, it's still a good idea, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:50 AM

868 posts, read 1,431,117 times
I second what danreynolds said about the job market here. I moved up in August 2010, and got the first job I applied for. It was not going to be a career for me, and I knew it, but I was hired almost on the spot. When I was ready for a change, I applied at two places and was hired at the second one, again, on the same day that I interviewed. This job is a keeper, one that I hope will be a lifelong career.

Anyway, my point is, many places are hiring. Help wanted signs are everywhere, and just yesterday, a friend asked me if I wanted to apply for a second, part-time job where he works. I, too, moved here from an economically depressed rural area, and it was a great relief to me to find employment so easily.

Bring more money than you think you will need to get settled, and less stuff. Unless you have a lot of possessions you consider irreplaceable, you may find that it is cheaper to sell most of your stuff, including the vehicle, and fly up. It is a long drive, and there is the cost of food and lodging to consider, along with gas and the cost of a trailer. Lots of furnished rooms available up here, and even if you want a place of your own, it may be less costly to buy furniture here than to haul it from Maryland (depending, of course, on the replacement value of the things you have now.) Books and things like that can be shipped relatively inexpensively, if you use media rates at the post office.

I don't know your situation, of course, or what you plan to bring with you, but if money is an issue, it is something to consider.

Congratulations, btw, on your acceptance at university, and the best of luck with your plans. Alaska truly is a beautiful place, and I hope you will enjoy it.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 PM

376 posts, read 833,442 times
Also, if you are planning on carrying a gun, you might run into some problems. Check online about that.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:23 PM

319 posts, read 964,829 times
Default what-

kind of truck? spare tires & a good jack .i'd bring for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage