Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 15,080 times

Advertisements

HI IM RICKY,

PLS. HELP I NEED ALL OF YOUR INPUT

IM TRYING TO GET HELP ON HOW TO GET A RIGTH DIRECTION ON MY FIRST TIME TRAVEL TRIP TO Ketchikan ALASKA'

I LIVE IN SAN DIEGO IM PLANING TO DRIVE FROM HERE TO SEATTLE.

THE QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO?

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE MY CAR WITH ME.

I NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH I NEED TO SPEND TO SHIP MY SUV WITH ME ON A FERRY & IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ALL THE INFORMATION ON A FERRY THAT I NEED TO RIDE WITH THEIR PHONE NUMBER THAT WILL HELP ALOT. MY TARGET DATE IS MIDDLE OF OCTOBER 2009. AND IF ITS NOT TO MUCH FOR YOU TO DO SO PLEASE YOU CAN EMAIL YOUR REPLY ON THIS ADDRESS ricskyjc1@yahoo.com

thank' to all of you
rickyjc

Last edited by RICKYJC; 09-29-2009 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: CORRECTION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Ugh, cap lock.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
All the information you need is contained here:

Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,409 times
Default Taking the Ferry from Bellingham to Whittier

I posted earlier that we were going to take the last ferry this year going from Bellingham to Whittier. We left for Bellingham with a pickup truck towing a 20 foot enclosed trailer with reservations for the entire trip. Getting on the ferry was in itself quite an experience. We got there early and found a dozen or so vehicles ahead of us waiting in different lines. We had two cats, some house plants we wished to take with us and a trailer full of what we needed to set up our condo in Anchorage. The cost was substantial for the pickup truck and trailer but compared with what we had been quoted it was within reason. I read that an ABF relo cube was near $3000 from the Eastern United States to Anchorage. I got the same quote for the same basic amount. Plus the 6x7x8 foot cube isn't all that big and fills up fast. Shipping a pickup truck by barge came in just under $2000 in the lowest quote I found. So the ferry with two of us, plus a cabin for the entire trip, and the two cats and house plants which the movers simply wouldn't consider, came in at about the same price as shipping everything adding on airfare for two of us.

I read an answer regarding pets on the ferry and I can assure everyone that wasn't a problem. There were regular pet calls plus whenever in port you had access to the animals. Our cats seemed to have slept most of the trip and the sensitive tropical plants made the trip in beautiful condition. We went down for each call and found the space heated and well lit. Those people with dogs walked them and I never saw a problem.

One thing I found out was you can go from Bellingham to Ketchikan and meet the next ferry there. It wasn't apparent on the AMHS schedule nor did anyone suggest it to me when I was on the phone with them. It wasn't any cheaper but some of the people who did the trip on a regular basis suggested it was easier to get reservations by making that transfer.

However after looking at Ketchikan from the boat I don't think it would be advisable to try to spend time there. There didn't seem to be much there and I was glad we went on past that stop. We got off at Juneau and spent the night in a decent hotel which allowed pets. We dropped the trailer in their parking lot and went to see the glacier and then had dinner with friends in the city. There were five cruise ships in port and the place was packed with tourons. We drove around and looked at the tourons and whatever else was of interest.

The entire trip was simply a pleasant experience. Our cabins were adequate and the food onboard was good although somewhat expensive. However based on the price in any Anchorage restaurant the food was similarly priced. We took snacks with us and had a cooler in the pickup truck. Ice was a problem since on the boat it was a quarter for a small pail which didn’t go very far in the cooler. In Juneau there was a Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer which allowed us to get things for the trip cross gulf so we didn't eat every meal in the restaurant on board. If you're afraid to drive in confined spaces you might not want to bring your vehicle on board. I backed up the pickup with a 20 foot enclosed cargo trailer on both loadings with considerable help from the ships crew. Otherwise things went well for us and we found the trip to be special seeing whales and the inside passage.

Last edited by richelles; 09-30-2009 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: Clearing meanings and descriptions

Old 09-30-2009, 11:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
This is why I insist on everyone to make the drive up. Won't cost as much as the ferry rides and you get a great view all the way up to Alaska!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
richelles, sounds like your move went well. I just wanted to note that it costs slightly more to change ferries in Ketchikan. Also, you lose the opportunity to do some food shopping in Juneau for the Whittier leg.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,558 times
I made the drive from Fairbanks, AK to Tennessee in June. It was beautiful but the roads are rough. I couldn't imagine driving them during the winter. It was over 4,000 miles. We left on Tuesday afternoon and arrived in Tennesse on Sunday morning at approx. 8 am. We only stayed in a motel 2 nights. It is difficult to find places to get gas or a place to stay if you don't stop before 9 pm. That is during the summer. It may even be worse in the winter. I wouldn't advise making the drive by yourself. If you do drive, make sure you have a spare tire.

Also, we had two dogs with us. If you travel with your animals by car, you will need a pet health certificate when you cross the borders. Additionally, make sure you allow plenty of time to get your passport. It cost a lot more if you have to pay for express service.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 11,172 times
If it is you and one dog? If you do not have a place and a ton of money you can rent a room at the Extended Stay, they take pets and are running a winter special it would be about 950 or so for a month in advance, don't fall into the weekly pay trap its cheaper to pay up by the month. there are two, one mid-town and one downtown and neither is a bad place to be to look around for a place and a job. Call staffing agencies for work, Adams and Associates are good, call Nova or Weidner and pre-apply for apartments. Try to stay to the West and Southsides of town. If you got the credit and the bucks, Bootlegger's Cove is the place to be. DO NOT RENT IN Mountain View or Muldoon sight unseen. even if the place is nice GO LOOK at the neighborhood! Fairview too!

Being without a car in winter is a DRAG. if you can wait and use bus and taxis, ship from seattle on a port to port space available basis or look for a trucker offering a discount on empty space. Alternatively, buy a plane ticket and sell the car and when you get here, go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal!

If you haven't driven in snow, and for five thousand miles before don't be silly and think it will be an adventure. This is not a good idea. The ferry is out in winter, they can't get through the ICE. We are having a VERY cold snap just now.

I did the mixed bag two years ago. Drove across to Vancouver and took the Canadian Ferry to Port Rupert and drove again from there. the price wasn't too bad and while you can hook up with the alaskan system from the canadian system, we were meandering up on the "adventure" in a small RV. We took the back highway, not recommended, and still found nowhere that did not accept the old atm or credit card or even the occasional greenback, we did convert some cash but it wasn't necessary.

IT WAS A DIFFICULT TRIP FOR ONE DRIVER WITH ANIMALS. IT WAS FULL SUMMER and the roads were CRAP! The adventure was once in a lifetime because only an IDIOT would do it twice! If you want adventure, fly in with a suitcase, your pets and "wing it". You will find that enough, hop on the train in the summer, ride the ferry, it may take years to see and do it all as this place is two and half times the size of Texas.

Don't waste your adventures on risky transportation moves just to GET here. Cell phone coverage in Canada was a JOKE, it is not SAFE to travel this old highway alone. If you must, get a caravan going, check craigslist and remember the border guards do not play anymore. Passports, passport cards, clean backgrounds. Check their website and ours (travelers, state department whatever).

On the plus side you will find lots of friendly folks to greet you when you get here. Merry Christmas!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,173 times
if one needed to take truck, trailer with two motorcycles from Washington State to Alaska, how much is estimated cost?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
There is an online ticket purchase thing on the Marine Highway website. You can plug in the vehicles and people you intend to take and get a ticket price.

It will be spendy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage