Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 AM

31 posts, read 106,534 times

Advertisements

Are all you need to make it in Alaska. Seriously, There is a Davis Bacon construction job in Marshall currently. The construction company is advertising an opening for a heavy-duty mechanic/welder with a posted hourly wage of $54.88 per Hr and it is a 4 month job. So sure, there are some jobs like the one you describe (except the sitting around part). Alas, you need to have some mad skills and Alaska-style street creds for a positions like that.

I bet there are some very good paying jobs in New York. I've been thinking about getting one of those day trading jobs at the NY stock market exchange. Good hours, holidays off and a Manhattan condo. Eat lunch at Harry's of Hanover or Mark Joseph every day. Toss my Carhartts and get some boss threads and sick walker wear. Can anyone hook me up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times
The gravy train on the slope is over, there are people up there making good money but they are the tail end of the old timers that started off as operators up there and some of thoes guys have been up there 30 years, they are now starting to retire and as they retire they are being replaced, however, inexperienced new hires are almost non existant, you truely need to know someone to get on up there and to make that much an hour you need to have ALOT of expereince. Right now BP has a head count freeze so most of the jobs you would get would be with contractors.

Mod Cut

Last edited by Rance; 06-11-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 PM

31 posts, read 106,534 times
Default Gravy Train

I agree, the private industry gravy train is heading out of town with the Baby Boomers and the public sector gravy train is headed to Disneyland with the SOA Tier I and Tier II retirees. Good for them.

Lot's of opportunity for us Gen X'ers to fill those jobs. We just won't enjoy the benefits the Boomer's received.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
Coaldust - And that isn't just an Alaskan phenomenon either... It is happening globally.

Good thing we will always be able to count on Social Security... Oh wait... nevermind.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 AM

339 posts, read 588,275 times
I want that job!! $54/hr to sit and do nothing? Where have I been?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Shawn from Buffalo, New York. Recently, I spoke with someone from Alaska who pretty much stated, "Alaska is the last American land-of-opportunity," because of the billion-dollar oil, fish, and gold industries, and the lack of population. Also, he stated that if I wanted, I could easily find a job working at the North Slope for an oil company which I would practically sit there and do nothing. In addition, I would get paid 54 an hour, and the oil company will pay for my trips back and forth to Buffalo, New York since I'd work a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off shift. Is this true? If so, who should I contact and what type of jobs should I apply for? Finally, I am a 21 years-old white male who currently is a senior at Buffalo State College majoring in criminal justice. How credible is this information and what are the odds of me finding a job?
Contrary to what Joe Six Pack believes, Alaska's oil production physically peaked in 1988/89, which includes the relatively small volume at ANWR (vs. U.S. consumption rates) were it ever to be drilled. The flow in the Alaska pipeline has decreased to the point where it's causing icing and corrosion problems. A lot of people have no concept of what Peak Oil (or gas) actually means, and assume it can support places like Alaska indefinitely.

I wouldn't bank on oil jobs up there; and least expect fierce competition. Whoever quoted you that wage was either lying or leaving out context. Most high-paying oil jobs tend to be brutal in one way or another. I'd head for North Dakota (Bakken shale) if you really want an oil-related job.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM

63 posts, read 168,524 times
Yeah, and I heard that once you cross into the Alaska state line, they hand you five thousand dollars, a bottle of 40 year aged scotch, and a 6'2" blonde with permissive personal tastes.

Was I lied to?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 AM

339 posts, read 588,275 times
I got jipped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage