Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 PM

20 posts, read 66,984 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Out of Hawaii, Cancun, Bora Bora, i decided to choose Alaska as our First Honeymoon Destination considering the heat in August end in hawaii or other places.

I am travelling from Wisconsin & visiting Alaska for a honeymoon on August 29 and will be staying until Sept 4. Below is my draft plan. Flight will arrive 00:30AM (Aug 30) and will stay in a hotel in Achorage and then proceed with below activites from August 30, 9AM onwards.

Request you to please review and suggest some changes which will become a perfect honeymoon trip. I have just added as sightseeing, Not sure what all places to visit on each day as part of sightseeing. I am fine to drop some places here or add some. Also, please recommend good affordable hotels at Anchorage, Seward, Homer & Denali. Would greatly appreciate the help.

1. Should i drop Denali visit from this itinerary?
2. Please update below itinerary with places or activities which can be done for each day.
3. Any other tips?
4. What all can be done in Homer?

Day 1 : Drive towards Whittier
Board the 26glaciers cruise tour.
Do a sightseeingin whittier
Drive to Seward
Stay night at seward in a hotel
-----------------------------------------------------------

Day 2 : Take Kenai Fjords Tour
After the tour do the sightseeing
Return to Seward
Sleep at seward Hotel
----------------------------------------------------------

Day 3 : Drive to Homer
Take a cruise tour or do sightseeing.
Sleep in homer
---------------------------------------------------------

Day 4 : Drive to Achorage
Stop at girdwoods for sightseeing
Return Car @ anchorage
Sleep @ Anchorage
------------------------------------------------------------

Day 5 & 6 : Take a 2days/1 night train tour package to Denali through (princesslodges)

OR

Day 5 : Take Train to Denali ( Can i drive by car to Denali ?? )
Arrive @ denali and take shuttle to park
roam around.
Sleep in Denali
---------------------------------------------------------------

Day 6 : Take train back to Anchorage
Roam around achorage before taking my flight back to wisonsin @ 8pm.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Why do you have two threads of the same thing?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 PM

My apologies. I will be deleting the other thread. As i had detailed out my itinerary, thought it will be more convenient for users to provide right info as a new thread.

Per topic - Can u please provide some insight to the itinerary? I will probably book my flight, cruise, hotel, car on monday after getting a concrete plan. Also, below is my updated trip plan after getting some inputs from others. I am dropping Homer and instead heading to denali by spending time in Talkeetna or Trapper Creek.

Below will be the itinerary i have modified based on a review in other forum of my initial itinerary.

Aug 30 - 26glaciers cruise tour (PWS) at whittier and drive to Seward. Night stay in seward

Aug 31 -- Kenai Fjords tour and night stay in Seward again.

Sep 1 -- Drive to Talkeetna or Trapper Creek. On the way visit Girdwoods. Night Stay in Talkeetna.

Sep 2 -- drive to Denali, visitor center, sleddog demo, drive first 15 miles of park road, etc. Night Stay in Denali

Sep 3 -- shuttle bus booked to Wonder Lake. Decide day-of how far you will actually go ( Should i consider Wonder lake. Read a lot about mosquito problem in this area). Night Stay in Denali

Sep 4-- drive to Anchorage, with stop at Matanuska Glacier for hike if interested. Be at airport by 6pm for an 8pm flight. ( is there any other activity which can replace the hike )

1. Should i drop wonder lake ( based on mosquito problem )?

2. Will there be hotel accomodation in Talkeetna or need to get one in denali?

3. Any tips on choosing hotels or suggestions?

And, i will taking a economy car from hertz and also use my Insurance ( from geico).

Last edited by mail4hemanthr; 07-15-2012 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: info

Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4hemanthr View Post

Below will be the itinerary i have modified based on a review in other forum of my initial itinerary.

Aug 30 - 26glaciers cruise tour (PWS) at whittier and drive to Seward. Night stay in seward

Aug 31 -- Kenai Fjords tour and night stay in Seward again.

Sep 1 -- Drive to Talkeetna or Trapper Creek. On the way visit Girdwoods. Night Stay in Talkeetna.

Sep 2 -- drive to Denali, visitor center, sleddog demo, drive first 15 miles of park road, etc. Night Stay in Denali

Sep 3 -- shuttle bus booked to Wonder Lake. Decide day-of how far you will actually go ( Should i consider Wonder lake. Read a lot about mosquito problem in this area). Night Stay in Denali

Sep 4-- drive to Anchorage, with stop at Matanuska Glacier for hike if interested. Be at airport by 6pm for an 8pm flight. ( is there any other activity which can replace the hike )

1. Should i drop wonder lake ( based on mosquito problem )?

2. Will there be hotel accomodation in Talkeetna or need to get one in denali?

3. Any tips on choosing hotels or suggestions?

And, i will taking a economy car from hertz and also use my Insurance ( from geico).
Your itinerary sounds good! You will be rushed, but its still doable. I wouldn't take a shuttle bus all the way to wonder lake, that's too far at least for me. Hotels it depends on your budget and what you want... cabin, luxury, budget etc

Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,346 times
Quote:
It's a long drive from Denali back to Anchorage even just on the Parks Highway (which you will be taking going up there if you plan to go to Talkeetna) - it's about 4 hours normally when I've driven it.
If you plan on going by Matanuska Glacier you have to take the Denali Highway over to the Glenn Highway - the Denali is a gravel road and most of the time you don't want to do more than 20-30 mph. It takes quite a few hours, and then it will be I think about 3 hours from the Denali/Glenn crossing back to Anchorage (and the airport).
If you want to make that drive you have to make sure you start VERY early in the morning and that the car is in top notch shape or you will be risking missing your flight.

Other than that your itinerary could be doable but it will be extremely rushed.

Whittier to Seward with summer traffic is normally about 2 hours.
Seward to Anchorage is between 2 and 3 (depending on the driver, of course. *Hint, hint*).
Girdwood to Anchorage is a 45-60 minute drive.
Anchorage to Talkeetna is I think a 2-hour drive.
I haven't done the drive to Wonder Lake yet (I'm probably the only professional photographer in Alaska to not have done that so I shouldn't worry too much about mosquitos - they are everywhere in huge amounts and the area is by all accounts very beautiful) so I can't give any insight into how possible that is regarding time and all.

When it comes to hotels etc. I'm afraid I do most of my travellings sleeping in my minivan so I can't help there unfortunately. Maybe someone else can.

Is there a reason you only have so little time in Alaska or could you extend your stay with just one day maybe?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
I would skip the Whittier tour, that was one tour I did not like. I would skip the long drive to Homer, did not impress me.
I would definitely do the 9 hour boat tour out of seward. It was an awesome tour. Spend 2 days in seward, lots to do there or nearby. There is a very good sled dog tour nearby where you get to rid in a buggy pulled by the dogs.
We also went to Talkeetna, its good for one night, make sure you do the riverboat tour. In denali, skip the dog demo in the park and do the Jeff Kings dog tour, its much better. Also the bus tour is a definite must do but its a long way to wonder lake, I would just go to Eilson and do some hiking. Mosquitoes shouldn't be a problem this late in the year. Good luck and have fun.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM

@sweden - Thanks For your comments. I have already stretched my vacation days . Infact was trying to cut short the trip by dropping Wonder lake. But, have received lot of reviews about it that, its hard to skip. Not sure, if should really skip it. Wonder lake shuttle just takes me opposite of reflection pond and not to the place where we can see the reflection and it takes 8+ hours. And, the other shuttle route which goes till end to see the reflection is 13+ hours. I am confused shoudl i go for 13+ hr tour or all together skip wonder lake?

@ trlhiker - thanks for your insight on whittier tour & sled dog. The kenai cruise tour of 9+ hours ends on Aug 26 and i am just left with option of taking 8+ tour ( which does not stop at an island ). So, is there any major attraction through 26 glaciers cruise tour in whittier i shouldn't be missing? IF so, i will skip that and rather stick to kenai tour alone.

Appreciate your responses.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
@sweden - Thanks For your comments. I have already stretched my vacation days . Infact was trying to cut short the trip by dropping Wonder lake. But, have received lot of reviews about it that, its hard to skip. Not sure, if should really skip it. Wonder lake shuttle just takes me opposite of reflection pond and not to the place where we can see the reflection and it takes 8+ hours. And, the other shuttle route which goes till end to see the reflection is 13+ hours. I am confused shoudl i go for 13+ hr tour or all together skip wonder lake?
Why not decide the day of, based on the weather? If it is gloomy you will not see the mountain or its reflection anyway, so you might as well take a shorter shuttle ride - chances are you will see plenty of wildlife even in a shorter ride, and you will definitely see beautiful vistas, but you will have more time for other activities and less of a sore tailbone.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM

275 posts, read 579,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
It's a long drive from Denali back to Anchorage even just on the Parks Highway (which you will be taking going up there if you plan to go to Talkeetna) - it's about 4 hours normally when I've driven it.
If you plan on going by Matanuska Glacier you have to take the Denali Highway over to the Glenn Highway - the Denali is a gravel road and most of the time you don't want to do more than 20-30 mph. It takes quite a few hours, and then it will be I think about 3 hours from the Denali/Glenn crossing back to Anchorage (and the airport).
If you plan on driving the Denali Highway, please make sure your rental car company allows it. Most rental car companies have restrictions on most models stating something like this, "Vehicles may not be driven on poorly maintained or unpaved roads. This includes, but is not limited to: the Dalton, Steese, Dempster, Elliott, Denali and Taylor highways."

You might be able to drive it and get away with it. However, if something goes wrong such as a flat or some sort of vehicle damage, you are going to be liable for the damage, towing back to Anchorage, and the loss of use. Due to violating the terms of the rental agreement, even if you purchased rental car insurance, you would still be liable.

With GPS technology, I'd wonder if some rental car companies track where you've driven with their vehicles.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Thats a very valid point. I did talk to the rental guys and they said we can drive till Denali visitor center. I guess, that should be fine as i am planning to take a shuttle from there if time permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage